This thread is privately moderated by A Useless Geek, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 22, 2013, 02:24 PM
just Some Useless Geek
Thread OP
Build Log

The Longhorn, and how to build it

A lot of people have asked me about plans for the Longhorn. Well, I ain't gots no plans because I'm a Lazy Bumģ. However, I have some images to show the dimensions and some instruction on how to build one:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post18591223

I've made some changes to the way I assemble these planes now. One thing is I eliminated the fuselage spar in the back by extending the horizontal stab with a strake. This spreads the stresses out and prevents the fuse from breaking without adding the mass of a CF or spruce spar. Another change is to go back to the laminated fuselage made from two pieces of 6mm foam with a bit of sheer nylon curtain material in between.

Of course, this depends on using the right material: Model Plane Foam. This stuff has the exact right properties to build a plane that's flexible enough to bend without breaking, but stiff enough to support the kind of crazy performance for which the Longhorn is known.

Iíve discovered a lot of phunky properties of this plane, but havenít recorded a lot of my experiences yet. Let me take some time to sort this good stuff out and Iíll eventually add everthing Iíve found to this thread. In the mean time, build a Longhorn for yer own bad sef and make your own discoveries!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 06, 2019, 11:09 AM
just Some Useless Geek
Thread OP
A longevity note: Longhorn #7, pictured above, only lasted 117 qualified flights (five minutes contiguous, one battery, not ended by crash damage other than prop change) and a lot of other flying less than fully qualified. I stupidly tried to change the dihedral by heating up the foam at the wing roots and in effect took out all the flexibility MPF has as its base characteristic.

This plane will get a new set of wings and be re-christened Longhorn #11. Perhaps I'll try a set of flat wings with ailerons to see what kind of sport performance I can get that way. Eh?

Quick Reply