Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Feb 13, 2014, 11:23 PM
Hahaha, that was funny. My wife agrees with you though! The setup above is not just for looks, it's for flying the Mustang FPV! The goggles have head tracking and I hooked them up to the trainer port of the radio, to control pan and tilt for the camera. Looks cool! I hope I can test it this weekend but who knows what the weather will do.

Yesterday I did a test of the video from the FPV cam, below. My DVR recording box is crappy so the video is bad but the live feed looks good!

P-51 Mustang - Cockpit FPV view (0 min 41 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Feb 14, 2014, 10:38 AM
Yeah, I was just kiddin' with you. This actually looks really cool!
Feb 14, 2014, 05:48 PM
So many planes, So little time
YES...... I'll sign in for this!
Really Really Cool!! nice work
Feb 15, 2014, 07:29 AM
Thanks Chris!
The weather looks really crappy this weekend , hopefully the weatherman is wrong and we can fly on Monday at least!
Feb 19, 2014, 06:24 PM
Here's a video we took on monday of my latest, an F-101B voodoo, I had to park ouside the gate and gingerly walk to the runway end and then out to the middle, rest of the place was pretty soggy....Wind was blowing about 15-20 gusty, and from behind the normal flightline. The landings were tough because it was blowing so hard and I don't run rudder, but it handled it pretty well...

The wing is upscaled slightly, the scale wing I originally used was so small that the CG range was non existent and it flew like a dog, just a few inches in ws and a bit in chord made a huge difference and allowed me to move the CG back an inch and a quarter.

RC F-101B Voodoo Parkjet (4 min 22 sec)

Frank
Feb 23, 2014, 05:36 AM
I finally got to test the FPV setup on the Mustang! Today it was overcast and not ideal for recording but you get the idea. The control stick and throttle setup + pan/tilt camera worked flawlessly! From today I can say that I need to work on balancing better the 4-bladed prop, there's a lot of vibrations at certain throttle levels.

We were flying through the Video RX in the goggles. I had the recorder hooked up to another receiver with a crappy antenna so it was quite noisy compared to the view on the goggles.

Taking-off and landing were nerve racking! But Lance and I did a full solo FPV flight each and the Mustang is back home in 1 piece so I can't complain. We had a blast!
Feb 23, 2014, 05:41 AM
P-51D Mustang, Scale FPV (2 min 49 sec)
Feb 23, 2014, 12:41 PM
Wow! That looks better on video than it did for me in the goggles yesterday - because I can leave my glasses on while watching the video! Yesterday I couldn't even tell those numbers were there.

Very cool!
Feb 23, 2014, 08:15 PM
I want to fly everything!
This was the singularly coolest thing I have ever experienced in model airplane flying. And I've had a lot of amazing experiences in this hobby.

I feel like I actually soloed an airplane for the first time and it was a WWII fighter!

As I told Ivan at the time, I will remember this flight for the rest of my life. Thanks again bud.

I have to start saving my pennies so I can buy the FPV equipment.

Two highlights of the day were this remark from Ivan: "That weathering on the wing looks really good!" said while he was flying and the machine gun sound with a Colombian accent as he strafed us on the ground.
Feb 23, 2014, 10:54 PM

Tremendous Great Your a god

Most impressive thing at FAW ever! I will bow in the future! 30 years of faw and nothing tops it.
Feb 24, 2014, 05:30 PM
Wow, thanks for the comments guys.

Lance, it was really cool to get to test it with a "buddy box/spotter" and then do the two first solo flights together. Thanks for the support! It's way more fun when it's shared, exciting!

The best would be to fly formation, that would be awesome! That's the next goal... .

Ivan
Feb 24, 2014, 11:17 PM
Fly
Nice Ivan, that's really cool, love the way the hand moves too. I bet that was some work getting that all together. Great job!
Feb 25, 2014, 12:55 AM
Thanks Dave!
Feb 26, 2014, 11:51 AM
Can't top that....

Time to cash in the RC stuff and take up BB stacking as a hobby....
Mar 13, 2014, 07:09 PM

Taking advantage of the Wet Winter at Flyaways

When life give you lakes take advantage of them:

Parkzone Mini Icon Flying in the parking lot (1 min 23 sec)