Feb 22, 2013, 10:00 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

So....

Weather permitting, is anyone planning to be out flying Saturday or Sunday?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 23, 2013, 08:35 AM
-S-
-S-
Just one more..... Just one...
I heard back from one person that is shooting for Sunday, weather permitting I'll give it a go!

Hopefully we have a runway again, the water at one point got all the way up to the shelter!

Waiting to hear back from someone who lives close to report back.

- S
Feb 23, 2013, 11:37 AM
Thread OP
Last weekend it was down to the edge of the runway. Just clear enough to be usable. Gotta run in to town in a few hours for food so I'll drive by & report back this afternoon.

I'm gonna try & get out there as well Sunday, but I won't be flying. I checked it out last night & you were right about the tail gear. One of them has about 6 teeth missing so unless somebody knows a local place that stocks align parts I'm waiting on the big brown truck to come back by.
Feb 23, 2013, 01:46 PM
-S-
-S-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Weir
Last weekend it was down to the edge of the runway. Just clear enough to be usable. Gotta run in to town in a few hours for food so I'll drive by & report back this afternoon.

I'm gonna try & get out there as well Sunday, but I won't be flying. I checked it out last night & you were right about the tail gear. One of them has about 6 teeth missing so unless somebody knows a local place that stocks align parts I'm waiting on the big brown truck to come back by.
That stinks, but I'm soooo glad you checked!

Yea doing the Honey do's today so if weather is good I'll shoot for around noonish maybe 1:00 ish... Will update if I hear from anyone else!

No local vendors... BUT these folks are awesome, and after you spend a certain amount they give a very nice discount. They are sorta local (in Corpus) and I'd usually bet priority orderd in two days Great folks as well

http://www.ronlund.com/

- S
Feb 23, 2013, 02:34 PM
Thread OP
Yeah, I knew mike in Longview wouldn't & tried calling hobbies xtreme in bossier. They sell the helis but don't stock much in the way of parts.

I think I'm gonna treat this the same way I did buggy racing. Always buy 2 or 3 of what I break so there's a spare. It's likely the first few things I have to replace will be what ends up breaking the most often.

Got the new reg installed last night & went back through my 3gx setup. Turns out I managed to reverse the ele gyro somehow so that explains the tail strike. I thought only the stick was reversed but gyro correction was right, it wasn't....

Edit: also taking advantage of these parts orders to stock up on servo batteries. The 2300's seem to only last about 15-20 minutes.
Lesson learned: preflight function check is important!
Supplemental lesson: Don't let the wife's impatience pressure you into flying when you're still not 100% sure it's ready to fly....
Feb 23, 2013, 03:34 PM
-S-
-S-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Weir
Yeah, I knew mike in Longview wouldn't & tried calling hobbies xtreme in bossier. They sell the helis but don't stock much in the way of parts.

I think I'm gonna treat this the same way I did buggy racing. Always buy 2 or 3 of what I break so there's a spare. It's likely the first few things I have to replace will be what ends up breaking the most often.

Got the new reg installed last night & went back through my 3gx setup. Turns out I managed to reverse the ele gyro somehow so that explains the tail strike. I thought only the stick was reversed but gyro correction was right, it wasn't....

Edit: also taking advantage of these parts orders to stock up on servo batteries. The 2300's seem to only last about 15-20 minutes.
Lesson learned: preflight function check is important!
Supplemental lesson: Don't let the wife's impatience pressure you into flying when you're still not 100% sure it's ready to fly....
Yea I did a lot of buying extras I started with the Blade 400, had 3 of them that I rotated through as I crashed them

I got real good at fixing them and I had more parts in stock then most hobby shops! - I had a wall with 50 hooks full..... Then I moved to the Align, a much better Heli, I was a little slower on collecting parts but I still have what I need for the 450 after selling most of them.

Once I get this Extra 300 off the bench I'll rebuild the 450 Clone, it's not great but if I wreck it I'm not too concerned.

Actually I moved to the Align because I finally got good enough to not crash the B400's and I never did total a Heli once I move to the Align's tail strike here and there so I moved to Landing gear that were one size up IE I put 500 LG on the 450's and never had issues again.

The clones IMO are nothing but problems, they saying "you get what you pay for" is especially true there....

eventually like always I needed room and I was wanting to fly planes again and I sold everything while it was still in one piece and worth something

I'm sure I'll do it again and you may just kick me back into it.

Not giving into pressure is always hard, for that reason I flew only at my house for months, I have access to about 5 acres in the back yard and I have a decent spot in my front yard so I just plugged away at it.

I think I only flew at the field 3-4 times.

Hope Sunday is good! - S

Quick Reply