Feb 22, 2013, 09:22 AM
Krueminator
Thread OP
Discussion

Plus membership

What exactly does upgrading to a "Plus" membership get you? I'm happy to do it just to support the site that has been an invaluable instrument in my hobby. However, I really don't know what it actually offers other than that.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 22, 2013, 09:31 AM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMorgan
What exactly does upgrading to a "Plus" membership get you? I'm happy to do it just to support the site that has been an invaluable instrument in my hobby. However, I really don't know what it actually offers other than that.
Other than the obvious change with the yellow and CF banner, I also have a larger avatar, they increased my PM limit to 2000 and access to the private Plus forum (which rarely if ever anyone post in)

Your for sale adds will also be labeled differently and more prominently.

I was given one of the free one year memberships, which I'm thankful for, but I have no plans at this point to renew once I expire in June. How having the ability to store thousands of PMs on a hobby forum is of any benefit to anyone is beyond me, and the private forum has proven to be of no value either. Its basically just another site chat forum, but with limited members and virtually no post.

I've never had any problem selling anything on here with my old setup, and anything I put up was gone in less than 12hrs, so I don't need any special ad to help me sell. I can see having the membership as "donation" and show of support for the site like the old membership system, but not for any added benefit that I couldn't live without otherwise.
Feb 22, 2013, 09:43 AM
Last edited by deerfreak; Jan 23, 2015 at 10:18 AM.
Feb 22, 2013, 10:07 AM
Often wrong ("wife")
Some folks use the "classic" look which totally removed the "labeled differently and more prominently" thing If someone is getting it for that then I fear they may be in for a surprise if they try classic look .. which I suspect MANY use. I HATE HATE HATE the other look lol.
Feb 22, 2013, 10:11 AM
Krueminator
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerfreak
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/rcgplus.php-

"PLUS" If you like to troll or make more than one post GOOD or Bad about a vendor or vendors then + membership is the way to go.
Does it make your links work?

I was tempted to remark about special treatment in the Porcia thing, but I really don't think being a Plus member had much to do with that.

They should include some limited edition planes, and helis for RF with membership. I say that not really knowing the separation between the site owners, and creators/owners of RF. My limited knowledge on the subject makes me believe they go hand in hand, so one could serve the other.
Pretty hard to come up something to entice people to pay for something they can get for free.
Feb 22, 2013, 10:34 AM
Bellanca Kruesair
I don't receive any benefits from the 'plus ' membership that are beneficial to me, that can't be gotten for free.
But we do get a wealth of information, and some education on this site.
I will continue to donate my monthly $5 until convinced to do otherwise.
I have a feeling of needing to "give back"something in exchange for the benefits.

As far as pushing the posting envelope,.. you'd have to be pretty low to try to get away with something. If you can't keep your comments off the moderator's radar, that's not their fault..learn some self control..

And who dragged Porcia in here,by the way?...That line's still open, talk to someone who's interested in that old ,old ,subject over there.
Latest blog entry: Ban Birds.
Feb 22, 2013, 12:14 PM
Krueminator
Thread OP
Honestly wasn't trying to drag that into the thread. My comment was meant more to squash it. The link he provided is dead, and I just assumed that it was for something on that issue. As I said, being a Plus member has nothing to do with any of that, and I agree that it doesn't belong here.

Back to topic: Yeah, it seems a small donation for all the info I've gotten from here. My account is fairly new, but I've been a lurker for years, and there is no way I would ever have gotten anything off the ground without the people on this site.
Feb 22, 2013, 12:28 PM
Often wrong ("wife")
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl
I don't receive any benefits from the 'plus ' membership that are beneficial to me, that can't be gotten for free.
But we do get a wealth of information, and some education on this site.
I will continue to donate my monthly $5 until convinced to do otherwise.
I have a feeling of needing to "give back"something in exchange for the benefits.

As far as pushing the posting envelope,.. you'd have to be pretty low to try to get away with something. If you can't keep your comments off the moderator's radar, that's not their fault..learn some self control..

And who dragged Porcia in here,by the way?...That line's still open, talk to someone who's interested in that old ,old ,subject over there.

While I have no issue with anyone supporting RCG via $ I would like to point out one thing. You are NOT the customer. You are the product that RCG sells. THey sell ads which you look at, thus without you, they can't sell ads. If it were an ad free site then I'd feel different. Don't get me wrong, I'm an RCG supporter but my participation on here is what allows them to make money so no offense to anyone or RCG but I'll keep my money. Again, that is me I'm speaking of and I'm not saying for anyone to either give or not give to the site. Just speaking for myself.
Feb 22, 2013, 02:49 PM
Last edited by deerfreak; Jan 23, 2015 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Fixed link
Feb 22, 2013, 03:04 PM
Bellanca Kruesair
I missed the instruction on enlarging the avatar,or is that even included? I swear, I think mine is smaller that it was originally.....Maybe there's more room now ?

in the words of the Gekko-

SOMEBODY HELP ME !! I HAVE A SMALL AVATAR!!!
Feb 22, 2013, 03:08 PM
You can upload an avatar that is 190x100 as a plus member.
Here is a link to all the Plus member perks:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/rcgplus.php
Feb 22, 2013, 04:26 PM
Krueminator
Thread OP
An occasional contest for plus members would be an inexpensive idea.
Feb 23, 2013, 11:35 AM
Lou
Lou
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbyrne
While I have no issue with anyone supporting RCG via $ I would like to point out one thing. You are NOT the customer. You are the product that RCG sells. THey sell ads which you look at, thus without you, they can't sell ads. If it were an ad free site then I'd feel different. Don't get me wrong, I'm an RCG supporter but my participation on here is what allows them to make money so no offense to anyone or RCG but I'll keep my money. Again, that is me I'm speaking of and I'm not saying for anyone to either give or not give to the site. Just speaking for myself.
That is likely one of the most astute posts I have read on this forum. You are absolutley correct in your analysis.

Members of any forum who do build threads, blogs, etc. are giving away THEIR work without compensation, aside from the ego stroking they will get from other members. Forum owners in turn then use that content and membership as a base for revenue from paid advertisment. It is generally that way on most forums.

The Plus Membership is nothing short of having ones ego stroked at a cost.
Feb 23, 2013, 05:44 PM
Bellanca Kruesair
Lest we forget- the forum owners give us a PLACE to have our egos stroked at a cost.
Who would know us ,without the forums?
Feb 23, 2013, 10:25 PM
characters welcome!
Plenty of people if you get out and DO things.

mw

Quick Reply