Feb 26, 2013, 07:41 AM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
Mac50L
Wing bolts too short - should be 70 mm long or at least the aft one should be. We're now using threaded rod with a nut soldered on 10 mm down from the top. This allows easy removal of the bolt by grasping the piece above the nut. Cut rod to 80 mm long.

Can you show pics of these bolts? is there any aftermarket nylon bolts we can buy off internet store? Length?
Thank You
Latest blog entry: My FAVORITE FPV CockPits'!!!!
to remove ads between posts
Feb 27, 2013, 06:20 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac50L
Wing bolts too short - should be 70 mm long or at least the aft one should be...

Elevator pushrod too long - use a linkage stopper. If you cut the pushrod there won't be any thread left for the clevis. The rod goes out way past the horn.

Motor cowl - fit a magnet and allow easy removal.
Agree about the aft bolt, even 5mm more would be good, though mine have both screwed down ok. Since I don't remove the wings for transport, not too concerned about removing them again. But I do like your solution!

I ended up cutting a few mm off the thread of the Elev pushrod - just enough so it does not bind but not enough to affect the clevis screwing on well.

I used tape to hold on the motor cowl. Magnets + tape would be better.
Feb 28, 2013, 02:14 PM
Does anyone know of a decent build log or video for the Bixler 1.1 kit version?

Thanks in advance...
Mar 01, 2013, 03:12 AM
Oh, Ho, Ho, It's Magic!
I just got round to test fitting the wing bolts and sure enough, the rear one is too short.

Solution?

I countersunk the wooden washer and epoxied a thin,SS washer to the bottom of the wooden washer to make up for any lost strength from the countersinking.

The bottom line is it works.... Just. !

The countersink just lets the bolt head down enough for the thread to grab the nut.

Pretty ordinary though. You'd really expect better from a kit these days I would have assumed?
Mar 01, 2013, 03:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfirkin
I just got round to test fitting the wing bolts and sure enough, the rear one is too short.
You were warned. I feel like shouting that. And good that being warned you had time to remedy it.

Did you consider cutting the washer slot lower which is an alternative way of doing it?

Quote:
Solution?

I countersunk the wooden washer and epoxied a thin, SS washer to the bottom of the wooden washer to make up for any lost strength from the countersinking.
I like that though as you say - Just!

Quote:
Pretty ordinary though. You'd really expect better from a kit these days I would have assumed?
Totally agree there, especially as they seem to have listened to some of the users comments - well the wing spar problem is fixed at least.
Mar 01, 2013, 05:07 AM
Oh, Ho, Ho, It's Magic!
Hmm, yes. I was warned!

I usually only worry when I get to whatever it was I was warned about though.

looks like the countersink/washer trick will be ok though. Seems to be strong enough.

I actually had a pack of six of these washers and might just epoxy the other 5 to the bottom of the wooden washers just to give a bit more strength.

I can see these things splitting in half under load.

Anyway, all good. Just waiting on my other parcel to arrive from HobbyKing to finish the build.
Mar 01, 2013, 06:38 AM
Oh, Ho, Ho, It's Magic!
Can anyone point me in the direction of a aftermarket motor mount for the 1.1 ?

Don't care much for the wooden spoon thingy. : O
Mar 01, 2013, 11:15 AM
Motor Mounts - I use this one, works great.

http://smallpartscnc.com/index.php?r...&product_id=50
Mar 01, 2013, 05:26 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFlyer451

+1 they are the bomb just make sure you order the right one as there are 2 versions.
Mar 01, 2013, 06:07 PM
Oh, Ho, Ho, It's Magic!
thanks guys, I'll get one of those.
Mar 02, 2013, 05:21 AM
Thread OP
Just had another Bix1.1 flyer confirm that balancing CG (on the spar) so that the wings have a *very* slight upward angle of attack improves glide/loiter of this glider (and some others).
Mar 06, 2013, 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFlyer451

The piece that fits inside the nacelle is not snug in the Bixler v1.1. How did you guys adhere this mount with the gaps present?
Mar 06, 2013, 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR73
The piece that fits inside the nacelle is not snug in the Bixler v1.1. How did you guys adhere this mount with the gaps present?
On two we have not glued the mount in but run screws in from the back with a ply plate on the outside so the foam of the fuselage is sandwiched between the mount and the outside plate. Screws - PK ~1/1/2" to 2" long.

The top cover of the cowl is held on by a magnet in the fuselage and a coarse thread screw into the cowl with a bit of PVA glue as the steel bit for the magnet to "grab".
Mar 08, 2013, 03:30 AM
Oh, Ho, Ho, It's Magic!
I just mounted my Tgy 2826 motor to the stock wooden motor mount. (I was going to buy an aftermarket mount but need to get it flying soon).

I have a selection of correct diameter bolts. Although some are too short, most are too long.

Decided to use the bolts that come with the kit although these protrude a bit into the rear casing of the motor.

As long as the motor still spins, I guess I'm good to go? Or should I use bolts that just do the job by a few threads to be safe ?

(Sorry, don't know squat about brushless motors).

Cheers.
Last edited by mrfirkin; Mar 08, 2013 at 04:03 AM.
Mar 09, 2013, 05:42 PM

Bixler V1.1 aerobatics

Hi everybody,

this is a short video about Bixler V1.1 with mini Dvr #16 V2 lens D
recorded in the country between Florence and Siena, Italy.

Bixler rock n' roll (3 min 42 sec)

Quick Reply