Aug 01, 2019, 03:05 PM

Sent pix

Sent pix and some suggestions via email.

Hope they help.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 02, 2019, 07:04 AM
'Douglas' to his friends.
A fine day yesterday, so suitable for trialing our Bixler 1.1. I'd swapped out the motor and ESC, as the previous (too cheap Chinese...) stuff was rather anaemic. I've fitted a (Chinese still..!) SunnySky Angel A2212 2450Kv II, and a SkyLinker 40A ESC. Here's the edited video ...

Bixler Flight, and an Attracting Rock ... (5 min 10 sec)
Aug 08, 2019, 08:00 AM

Flying with friendlies

Sharing a video from a recent Bixler flight. Wanted to record a friend in-flight as he is learning to fly. Enjoy!

Bixler Friendly Flying (10 min 3 sec)
Aug 08, 2019, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad3353
A fine day yesterday, so suitable for trialing our Bixler 1.1. Here's the edited video ...
https://youtu.be/tcxaA06fojU
A classic wrong way to launch right at the start of the video. You need to heave it hard. It has to have flying speed before leaving your hand.

Too slow --- crash.
Aug 08, 2019, 04:31 PM
'Douglas' to his friends.
I'll get started on the javelin training.
Aug 09, 2019, 09:03 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad3353
I'll get started on the javelin training.
The throttle punch as you launched caused the plane to nose down because of the thrust line.

Even laden with big batteries and FPV gear, I would set the throttle to 60-65%, launch the plane flat and straight with a moderate throw, and not touch the throttle until it was climbing smoothly.

Even if it initially dips due to low airspeed, this will help gain speed so resist the temptation to get wild on the sticks.
Aug 09, 2019, 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaksterBlue
The throttle punch as you launched caused the plane to nose down because of the thrust line.

Even laden with big batteries and FPV gear, I would set the throttle to 60-65%, launch the plane flat and straight with a moderate throw, and not touch the throttle until it was climbing smoothly.

Even if it initially dips due to low airspeed, this will help gain speed so resist the temptation to get wild on the sticks.
Or, just ROG off the belly with WOT.
Aug 19, 2019, 11:43 AM

CG as a Glider

I've got the 1.1 V2. I've Googled and searched and have not had luck in finding anything about CG other than the 71mm. She's balanced under power at 71, but when I turn off the motor, I have to add a fair amount of up elevator to keep her floating as a glider the way I want. about 4 to 5mm.
It works, but I'm creating unwanted drag. I've been moving the battery back with a CG of about 74-75 but still not the performance I'd like. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Doug
Aug 19, 2019, 02:16 PM
You can keep sneaking the cg aft until longitudinal stability becomes an issue. I fly mine a lot with a 1300mAh 3S. It'll nose up slightly when I close the throttle, but pitch stability is still a little positive (still wants a little nose-down elevator when inverted). Haven't measured the cg location and don't care to, because the number isn't as important to me as the way it handles.

Quick Reply