FAQ - Powerlab Quick Start Guide - Wiring modes, Supply Limits and 1s charging - Page 6 - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by Gregor99, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 18, 2018, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1
This is the contact cleaner I use.
https://www.amazon.com/CAIG-D5S-6-Co...ords=deoxit+d5

Glen
Thanks. Never dawned on me that the equipment could've just gone bad while sitting.
Power supply: 47A 12v/24v 575W/1150W (max)
Lipos: (6) 1S 600mAh 3.7v
Charger: Cellpro PL6
Charger parameters: I tried Fast Chg preset and prior preset I had for 1S (charge at 1C)
Connections: parallel
Voltage: no volt meter I guess I need to invest in more equipment (volt meter).
to remove ads between posts
May 18, 2018, 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3flyguy3
Thanks. Never dawned on me that the equipment could've just gone bad while sitting.

Power supply: 47A 12v/24v 575W/1150W (max)
Lipos: (6) 1S 600mAh 3.7v
Charger: Cellpro PL6
Charger parameters: I tried Fast Chg preset and prior preset I had for 1S (charge at 1C)
Connections: parallel
Voltage: no volt meter I guess I need to invest in more equipment (volt meter).
Electronic equipment generally fails on power up. So you really cannot tell if it went bad while sitting or when you put the power to it.
The equipment you are using is generally reliable.
Yes you definitely need a volt meter. You should also have a good wattmeter.

My recommendation is to clean all the contacts and connectors and see if that cures your problem.

Glen
May 18, 2018, 05:42 PM
Thanks a bunch! I'll get right on that.

One more question. Still talking 1S. I have both parallel cables below. I saw a video that said to always use cables with a balance plug. But if they are 1 cell why would I need to use the balance? Would I do better ditching the one with the balance?
May 19, 2018, 09:59 AM
Quote:
I'm getting Sply < Low Limit Push to Reset. Attached is my configuration and power supply

These are 1S 600mAh 3.7V

I notice the red light doesn't come on until I connect the one lipo as shown. Not sure if that matters or not. I'm trying to charge at 1C. I don't know what other info you need to help.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I found the manual. If I'm reading correctly it's saying my power supply is too low. I'm not sure if that's correct. If so, I'm wondering why. Granted I haven't used my this charger in awhile but I recall the last time I used it it worked fine and I changed nothing since. Is this an issue of the power supply?
Your power supply is two 12V supplies. If they're connected in series they will provide 24V. Are yours connected in series? I have the same setup from a different vendor which are hardwired in series. Each of mine has its own power cord. I got the "Sply <low limit" warning from my PL8 when I had plugged in only one supply. Are both of yours plugged in? You need a VOM in order to see what voltage is coming out of the supply.

CR
May 20, 2018, 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley38
Your power supply is two 12V supplies. If they're connected in series they will provide 24V. Are yours connected in series? I have the same setup from a different vendor which are hardwired in series. Each of mine has its own power cord. I got the "Sply <low limit" warning from my PL8 when I had plugged in only one supply. Are both of yours plugged in? You need a VOM in order to see what voltage is coming out of the supply.

CR
Thanks for the response! I figured it out last night. I happened to check the plugs and one plug was slightly out. Pushed it in and no more "Sply <low limit>. I was able to charge my fat shark lipo no problem.

BUT
The little 1S 600mAh 3.7v are giving me fits now. I get any of the below with different packs
A) "Replace bad pack" after a few moments on the charger.
B) If it doesn't give me that warning I get "PACK REMOVED (Drop 25% Min). I checked the manual but didn't see what this means.
C) "No Pack Push to reset" Thing is I can charge with the little USB charger from horizon hobby. Could the parallel cables be bad?
May 20, 2018, 05:52 AM
Quote:
Thanks for the response! I figured it out last night. I happened to check the plugs and one plug was slightly out. Pushed it in and no more "Sply <low limit>. I was able to charge my fat shark lipo no problem.

BUT
The little 1S 600mAh 3.7v are giving me fits now. I get any of the below with different packs
A) "Replace bad pack" after a few moments on the charger.
B) If it doesn't give me that warning I get "PACK REMOVED (Drop 25% Min). I checked the manual but didn't see what this means.
C) "No Pack Push to reset" Thing is I can charge with the little USB charger from horizon hobby. Could the parallel cables be bad?
B & C seem to indicate the pack was removed or the connection was broken. Check the connectors, all soldered connection, and clean all connectors. You'll be amazed how much dirt those contacts collect over time.
May 20, 2018, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohmic
B & C seem to indicate the pack was removed or the connection was broken. Check the connectors, all soldered connection, and clean all connectors. You'll be amazed how much dirt those contacts collect over time.
I will definitely clean the connectors as it has been sitting.
But I’m curious as to why these issues are occurring only with these lipos. The fatshark (2S 1800mAh) charged fine. These are new lipos and cable bought at the same time from same seller.
May 20, 2018, 08:34 AM
Sooo here’s what I now know. Someone left the lipos connected to the charge cable. Disconnected the CABLE from parallel board. The positive and negative came in contact with each other. SPARK!!! I wondered why my son had no interest in flying.
I was able to charge the lipos with the USB the other day beforehand I knew this.

Should I just figure cable is bad?

If lipos are I bad I shouldn’t be able to charge at all right?
May 20, 2018, 08:56 AM
Quote:
Sooo here’s what I now know. Someone left the lipos connected to the charge cable. Disconnected the CABLE from parallel board. The positive and negative came in contact with each other. SPARK!!! I wondered why my son had no interest in flying.
I was able to charge the lipos with the USB the other day beforehand I knew this.

Should I just figure cable is bad?

If lipos are I bad I shouldn’t be able to charge at all right?
Don't know what parallel board you're using, but a dead short can easily pop a fuse or blow a trace on a PC B.
May 20, 2018, 11:08 AM
Understood. But for clarity the short (spark) came when the parallel cable banana plugs came in contact with each other after being removed from the parallel board while the lipos were still connected.
The board is from EPBuddy V2
Last edited by 3flyguy3; May 20, 2018 at 11:20 AM.
May 20, 2018, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Understood. But for clarity the short (spark) came when the parallel cable banana plugs came in contact with each other after being removed from the parallel board while the lipos were still connected.
The board is from EPBuddy V2
That's exactly the type of spark that prompted my previous response. When in doubt, ring it out...get a continuity tester and verify all circuits are functioning correctly. Also, visually inspect the PCB to make sure no traces are blown.
May 20, 2018, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohmic
That's exactly the type of spark that prompted my previous response. When in doubt, ring it out...get a continuity tester and verify all circuits are functioning correctly. Also, visually inspect the PCB to make sure no traces are blown.
I came to report my findings and saw your response above after I had tried the following.

Since I haven't had a chance to pick up a continuity tester or contact cleaner in the meantime I'd try more testing to see if I could reproduce the errors.
(6) 1S 205-210 mAh 30C
I had no problem. Lipos charged and discharged with no errors. See parallel charging cable below.

(6) 1S 600mAh 30C
Balance plug connected to the PCB via the parallel port. I got "Un-Bal. Only"
Unplugged the balance plug - Seemed to start charging but after a few minutes "Replace Bad Pack" Then I noticed the Start Fuel and Fuel Level was 0%
So I tried each pack 1 by 1 and all gave "No Pack". All packs show Fuel at 0%

Went back to (1) 205mAh and charge was successful and pack started at 50% or above.

Also I don't think it was answered do I need a balance plug for these 1S?

While waiting for a response I tried charging with the Eflite USB charger and it seems to have worked. I have no way to check other than the light going out indicating done charging (2nd battery being charged pictured)

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance
Last edited by 3flyguy3; May 20, 2018 at 05:47 PM.
May 20, 2018, 08:47 PM
I just realized the cable I have is a serial charge cable. SMH. I thought the plug was for balance. Once I figured that out I was able to set the charger accordingly and it seems to be working fine.
Thanks for all the help.
Last edited by 3flyguy3; May 20, 2018 at 09:10 PM.

Quick Reply