FAQ - Powerlab Quick Start Guide - Wiring modes, Supply Limits and 1s charging - Page 2 - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by Gregor99, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 25, 2013, 04:42 PM
Revolectrix Ambassador
Its bad to charge beyond 4.1v in the cold. Also note the effective C rating is lower when the packs are cold.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...9&postcount=11
Quote:
From our chief engineer who ran a lot of testing on charging Li in cold temperatures:

Lithium is a poor performing battery in cold weather. If the pack is cold, the cell damage voltage reduces from 4.35V down to 4.20V. That means charging a lithium pack to 100% when it is below 50 deg F will reduce cycle life.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 25, 2013, 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKrackin
They aren't allowed inside so that shouldn't be an issue.
It could be. As I said, if you don't plan to use it right away it's better to not fully charge. The weather does strange things and if it warms up a pack could wind up in an over charged condition which can cause fires.
Oct 25, 2013, 05:43 PM
Incurable heli addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner2
It could be. As I said, if you don't plan to use it right away it's better to not fully charge. The weather does strange things and if it warms up a pack could wind up in an over charged condition which can cause fires.
The weather is highly unlikely to make that drastic a swing in that short of time.

I fly every day...every lipo.
Storage charge at night...or fly it before I put it away.

They go from the charger directly to the sky.

If I don't plan to use it...why would I charge it at all?
Oct 25, 2013, 06:20 PM
Revolectrix Ambassador
Quote:
The weather is highly unlikely to make that drastic a swing in that short of time.

Sometimes you charge a pack and are unable to fly. It starts raining, wife calls with an emergency, (or a better offer ), or you crash on your first flight. Then you've got some charge packs to deal with.
Oct 25, 2013, 06:25 PM
Incurable heli addict
Aha.... Crash is a possibility but I almost always crash my last pack. Lol.

That and I literally fly them right off the charger.
Oct 25, 2013, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the suggestions Gremlin and Gregor -- it is a board with no fuses -- the standard EP Buddy board. The first thing I checked was continuity of all balance leads all the way to 6s and there is current and resistence right to the point where they plug into the charger. I pulled the board out of the case and can find no burn marks or such like. Is there a fuse in the charger? I was using perfectly good almost new bats when this happened, and with my set up it is not possible to get incorrect polarity.
Oct 26, 2013, 12:34 AM
Revolectrix Ambassador
Two more tests, check continuity of the main charge leads to the main charge ports.

Next plug a pack into the board. Then test the voltage at the pins on the connector that goes into the charger. The black wire is pin 1. Pin 1 and pin 2 should be cell one voltage (~3.8v). Next pin 1 to pin 3, should be 7.6v. Pin 1 to pin 4 should be 11.4v, etc. Continue until you get to pin 1 and pin 7.

Finally if you have a different set of charge leads and a different balance board I would try that as well.
Oct 26, 2013, 01:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99
Two more tests, check continuity of the main charge leads to the main charge ports.

Next plug a pack into the board. Then test the voltage at the pins on the connector that goes into the charger. The black wire is pin 1. Pin 1 and pin 2 should be cell one voltage (~3.8v). Next pin 1 to pin 3, should be 7.6v. Pin 1 to pin 4 should be 11.4v, etc. Continue until you get to pin 1 and pin 7.

Finally if you have a different set of charge leads and a different balance board I would try that as well.
Thanks Gregor for such quick response. This is precisely what I have done and get the voltage rising accordingly on all pins using a 6s pack. I do not have another paraboard though, but if I am getting all voltages at the pin end that plugs into the charger, to me this means that all is well with the board and cable.
All the other batteries charge perfectly -- just not my 2 4s packs. Just thinking -- if something was wrong with just pin 5 surely 5 and 6s packs would also give wrong cell counts?
Last edited by unhinged; Oct 26, 2013 at 04:14 AM.
Oct 26, 2013, 09:09 AM
Quote:

That all seems to fall in line with what I've been saying. So, as long as you understand that any pack that was fully charged when cold could wind up being overcharged if it has a chance to warm up then you are good.
Oct 26, 2013, 11:45 AM
Revolectrix Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by unhinged
All the other batteries charge perfectly -- just not my 2 4s packs. Just thinking -- if something was wrong with just pin 5 surely 5 and 6s packs would also give wrong cell counts?
I would retest with your 4s packs and see if you get same results. Perhaps the 4s connector on the balance board is broken. Plug the pack in and check the voltages at the connector that goes into the charger.
Oct 26, 2013, 02:10 PM
Quote:
I would retest with your 4s packs and see if you get same results. Perhaps the 4s connector on the balance board is broken. Plug the pack in and check the voltages at the connector that goes into the charger.
I have done exactly this and am getting the same voltages for each pin of the 4s packs at the connector end which plugs into the charger.
Oct 26, 2013, 03:01 PM
Revolectrix Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by unhinged
I have done exactly this and am getting the same voltages for each pin of the 4s packs at the connector end which plugs into the charger.
I'm running out of ideas. You did confirm the main leads are working as well? A high res pic of your 4s packs connected may spark some more ideas.
Oct 26, 2013, 06:45 PM
Quote:
I'm running out of ideas. You did confirm the main leads are working as well? A high res pic of your 4s packs connected may spark some more ideas.
Well I decided to give the charging unit a good shake after all was said and done (partly frustration and partly it is amazing how often this works) Well I heard a mighty good rattling inside and on taking the case apart a large chunk of what looked like glue fell out. The fuse was fine and there were no scorch marks anywhere. I rigged the 4 s pack up again just in case, and blow me down,it is working ?? that glue piece ?something else. Now I am hoping it will stay right. Thanks Gregor.
Mar 14, 2014, 03:48 AM
HI Gregor - thanks again for pointing me to this nice thread of yours!
Regarding COLD WEATHER CHARGE MODE... is this only suggested to use during winter?
I'm in the UK and it's kinda always cold... even most of the summer...
or do I only use this mode if the temp outside is below 10c or 50f?
So if temp outside is above 50f.. then I use the normal charge modes?
Mar 14, 2014, 11:09 AM
Revolectrix Ambassador
Cold weather charging mode automatically kicks in when the ambient temperatures are at, or below 50f / 10c. A temperature check is made when the charger is first powered up. So if the ambient temps rise during the day, you can cycle the charger to get back to normal charging mode.

The set point can be lowered to 41f / 5c or 32f /0c if you like.