Mar 03, 2013, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by samho2088
Do we need to make constant stick movements on the TX in order for a CP to hover, even if we are flying a copter with a 6-axis gyro? I am looking for my first CP, and don't really know how the control of a CP differs from that of a FP.
A copter with a 6-axis gyro, (really is 3-axis gyro with 3 accelerometers) is much more stable for the beginner IMO, but it still requires some stick movement, although much less. Well, my genius cp was that way, but that's the first generation stuff .

The world of cp requires some damn concentration
to remove ads between posts
Mar 03, 2013, 02:15 PM
[QUOTE=samho2088;24305956]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arr0wHead
Yes, this is the way it's supposed to work.

Are all CPs like that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by samho2088
Do we need to make constant stick movements on the TX in order for a CP to hover, even if we are flying a copter with a 6-axis gyro? I am looking for my first CP, and don't really know how the control of a CP differs from that of a FP.
Yes. Not CP, just anything without a flybar. On a copter with a flybar, the weight and rotation of the flybar balances/stabilizes the helicopter. When you remove that flybar, the helicopter will no longer balance itself. A FP without flybar will behave this way as well.
Mar 03, 2013, 03:34 PM
Quote:
A good first tip from the other thread - I stuck a little hot glue over the battery connection to the board. This copter is a paradox - difficult to get the battery IN, but boy does it pop right out in a crash with no problem.

Those walkera plugs can be pretty tight/secure, so instead of the battery unplugging it can rip the connection right off the board.
My buddy has a genius and he took a straight razor and removed the notches from the side of the battery connector so it is a lot easier to remove.
Mar 03, 2013, 03:38 PM
Seeing as I'll have my Super CP in a couple days, I wanted to buy some extra batteries for more flight time. Anyone have any recommendations to where I can get good batteries with fast shipping? I may just buy from Wow Hobbies as they are close to me and decent priced (3 batteries for around $20).
Mar 03, 2013, 05:55 PM
Certifiable
Get extra skids too if they have them. Broke mine today - day 2 - still usable but would like a spare. The tail fin takes a beating too.
Mar 03, 2013, 10:40 PM
Save the "still usable" for when the new ones break after one flight. I ordered two more.
Mar 03, 2013, 10:48 PM
Certifiable
Quote:
Save the "still usable" for when the new ones break after one flight. I ordered two more.
Oh yeah, have gotten pretty good at repairs. I'll use it even after I get new ones until it can be used anymore.

From whom did you order?I need to do the same and maybe add a servo too. Had and issue with one today. I got it working again but I wonder for how long.
Mar 03, 2013, 11:40 PM
Banggood has them for $4 a piece with free shipping. If not, I get them off ebay for around $6 shipped. Ebay is in the US, so it's quicker.
Mar 04, 2013, 01:15 AM
Certifiable
Quote:
Banggood has them for $4 a piece with free shipping. If not, I get them off ebay for around $6 shipped. Ebay is in the US, so it's quicker.
No us sellers on ebay have them now.
Mar 04, 2013, 11:38 AM
On the landing skids, you can reinforce them with metal wire for only a couple of bucks and they'll last longer than any other part of the heli. I did this on my Genius over the weekend, and it's great. The added weight on the skids isn't much, and it helps keep the heli a bit more stable for beginners also.

Here's a link that shows how to do it on the Genius. You can surely do something similar on the Super: http://benmlee.com/Genius_Landing_Gear.htm

You can get very thin steel piano wire at just about any hobby or hardware store. I found packs of assorted size piano wire at Lowes for a couple bucks. Radio shack has heat shrink. An arts and craft store will likely have the wire also. Heck, you could probably even straighten out a paper clip, though it wouldn't be as stiff and thin as the wire I used.

I think you might also try to reinforce that tail piece a bit before it breaks. Maybe glue a bit of plastic on each side of it, like a sandwich. Something like the plastic the heli came packaged in would probably be enough to make that tail piece more than four times stronger than it is.

One thing I would suggest investing in early is some clear nail polish. The canopy will eventually crack. It is worth while to go ahead and reinforce it with a few layers of clear nail polish before it cracks, especially right where the landing skids meet the canopy. I put several layers on both the inside and outside of the canopy after I saw cracks start to form. Replacement canopies aren't cheap.

A couple dollars of glue and craft parts might save you a bunch of money in replacement parts later.

Oooh, one more thing. Keep a close eye on the screws. Especially watch the screws that hold the main rotor blades on. You REALLY don't want a blade coming off in flight.
Last edited by G Man Number 7; Mar 04, 2013 at 12:36 PM.
Mar 04, 2013, 02:06 PM
Certifiable
I have decades worth of used used guitar strings in a bag (don't ask why....). The wire mod looks like a good idea, unfortunately it won't help strengthen the hollow mounting posts. One broke off. Not a big deal yet but it will be if I lose another...
Mar 04, 2013, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stringrazor
I have decades worth of used used guitar strings in a bag (don't ask why....). The wire mod looks like a good idea, unfortunately it won't help strengthen the hollow mounting posts. One broke off. Not a big deal yet but it will be if I lose another...
Hot glue fixes all .
Mar 04, 2013, 07:06 PM
Thread OP
Yeah, the skids are extremely fragile, broke on my first crash, but I just hot glued it.
Mar 04, 2013, 07:41 PM
Certifiable
I just smoked the Rx!

Got a new lipo and didn't notice the polarity was reversed. Damn. Looks like the chip above the servo sockets toasted. Now, even the correct battery smokes it. I guess the Rx is toast? Oh well. My own dumb fault. Guess I'll get a BNF and havd some spare parts. Any way to repair the Rx?
Mar 04, 2013, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stringrazor
I just smoked the Rx!

Got a new lipo and didn't notice the polarity was reversed. Damn. Looks like the chip above the servo sockets toasted. Now, even the correct battery smokes it. I guess the Rx is toast? Oh well. My own dumb fault. Guess I'll get a BNF and havd some spare parts. Any way to repair the Rx?
I ordered some spare batteries from Wow Hobbies. So I don't make the same mistake when I get my Super CP, what exactly went wrong? You said you didn't notice the polarity was switched, does that mean you connected the battery wrong?

Quick Reply