Feb 19, 2013, 05:01 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Castle Talon 90 controller converted to "Talon 90 Lite"

Castle has released their Talon 90 controller. It is a 90 amp rated controller for 6S with a heavy duty BEC rated for 20 amps. It comes dressed with all kinds of plastic parts for mounting in helicopters and airplanes and a big heat sink. With a street price of less than $80 it seemed reasonable to see if it could be converted for Hotliner, F5D and small F5B applications.

The plastic parts simply unsnap--no big deal. The heat sinks are bonded with a thermal silicon. Use a small screwdriver on the outside edge and pry the two shells apart. The undressed controller weighs 68 grams with the power leads. The controller included the 5.5mm connectors for hooking up the motor.

It has all the usual features of their regular controllers--but no logging.

Steve Neu
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:31 AM
jjmouris
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Over-competition). It is temporarily hidden while jjmouris edits it.
Feb 20, 2013, 09:11 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmouris
Wow, a whole 3 fets per half bridge.

I think F5D and Hotlining, no F5B.

For more power and if you are going to spend $80 then you are better off buying one of my budget ESC's. They have 9 fets per half bridge and bigger ones at that. Capable of at least 200A, 2S to 6S, ramping built in and more.

Joe--quite pushing your stuff in other peoples threads. Also try reading the post before making comments--if you bothered to look you would see that I said "small F5B" which suggests less than welder power.

Actually if you check the 4901 FETS have two N channel in EACH package and that if when in parallel each device is rated for 48 amps. So in fact the Talon 90 has double the number of FETs that you state.

Steve Neu
Last edited by sneu; Feb 20, 2013 at 09:22 AM.
Feb 20, 2013, 10:01 AM
52 legs done, 53 next.
Steve, what is "small F5B" ??

If I am not mistaking, there is only one set of FAI rules for F5B. Everything else is just "Hotlining".

At least what I am "pushing" will work in real F5B.

Feb 20, 2013, 10:08 AM
52 legs done, 53 next.
Really Steve?

There is only one person who would report my post and that would be you. Funny that I am accused of excessive advertising when one could argue that you sell these speed controllers as well as advertising for Castle Creations who you have a long standing relationship with. So if anything i am simply showing people an alternative.

I know Tony and many others will have a laugh at this.

Feb 20, 2013, 10:45 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Really Steve?

There is only one person who would report my post and that would be you. Funny that I am accused of excessive advertising when one could argue that you sell these speed controllers as well as advertising for Castle Creations who you have a long standing relationship with. So if anything i am simply showing people an alternative.

I know Tony and many others will have a laugh at this.

Small F5B to me are 125 amp setups with 4 or 5 packs--less than 2000 watts.

For "real F5B" make a move up to 10S Joe. The world is heading that way. Get back in the boat and see what you are missing. We actually have 7000 watt setups that are running only a little over the controller manufactures ratings--with the result being the systems are very reliable.

The T90 has been working very well with the heli fliers as a low cost option for 600 size machines. They tend to be quite hard on controllers with a lot of throttle activity and high current peaks.

Joe--Play by the rules and there will be no problems. The forum rules are rather clear about jumping into threads started with a clear title.

Have a nice day!

Steve Neu
Last edited by sneu; Feb 20, 2013 at 10:52 AM.
Feb 20, 2013, 11:23 AM
52 legs done, 53 next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneu
Small F5B to me are 125 amp setups with 4 or 5 packs--less than 2000 watts.

For "real F5B" make a move up to 10S Joe. The world is heading that way. Get back in the boat and see what you are missing. We actually have 7000 watt setups that are running only a little over the controller manufactures ratings--with the result being the systems are very reliable.

The T90 has been working very well with the heli fliers as a low cost option for 600 size machines. They tend to be quite hard on controllers with a lot of throttle activity and high current peaks.

Joe--Play by the rules and there will be no problems. The forum rules are rather clear about jumping into threads started with a clear title.

Have a nice day!

Steve Neu
Sorry i don't see the point in spending once to buy a controller and then spending the same amount again for a controller that can do the required load.

Yes some people need physically smaller ESC's for F5D size planes for Hotlining and F5D. This controller could be good there I guess.

Just wanted to be sure nobody gets the wrong idea and starts to expect to much from this Talon 90 controller.

With regards to the rest of your post, I will not edit my post and I do not agree with you.

Please do not try to lecture me about reliability. I have not burnt a controller in years. And when my B13's arrive, I will once again give 10S a go. Then we will see what is more efficient.
Feb 20, 2013, 12:21 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Sorry i don't see the point in spending once to buy a controller and then spending the same amount again for a controller that can do the required load.

Yes some people need physically smaller ESC's for F5D size planes for Hotlining and F5D. This controller could be good there I guess.

Just wanted to be sure nobody gets the wrong idea and starts to expect to much from this Talon 90 controller.

With regards to the rest of your post, I will not edit my post and I do not agree with you.

Please do not try to lecture me about reliability. I have not burnt a controller in years. And when my B13's arrive, I will once again give 10S a go. Then we will see what is more efficient.
Joe--one thing is for sure--we don't agree on much

Try to have a good day.

Steve
Feb 20, 2013, 01:53 PM
Now now girls, play nicely
Feb 21, 2013, 03:41 AM
2012 NZ Speedcup - 231 MPH
Joe, why are you like this? If you have a personal issue with Steve, please sort it out OUTSIDE this forum. Stop being suck a jerk. I want to read these threads and get useful information. Put all the information you want about your controllers on your own thread brother!
Feb 21, 2013, 12:01 PM
SB7
SB7
I am actually really slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUnderPilot
Joe, why are you like this? If you have a personal issue with Steve, please sort it out OUTSIDE this forum. Stop being suck a jerk. I want to read these threads and get useful information. Put all the information you want about your controllers on your own thread brother!
Glad someone finally said it.

Joe no doubt you have alot of F5B knowledge, but the sooner you get over your god complex the better.
Feb 21, 2013, 02:44 PM
2012 NZ Speedcup - 231 MPH
It's being going on for years. Quite annoying actually. Joe may actually be a great guy, but I can't tell that from his posts, they always come across quite abrasive.
Feb 21, 2013, 07:55 PM
DroneWorlds - TEAM NEW ZEALAND
+1000.

Fair play to you jjmoris, but im sick of reading about your esc's every post too. Its spam, no matter how good they are.

Back on topic, any reason other than price (and the silly BEC rating) to choose it over an ICE100 lite? (I still havent killed a 100 lite yet, so still like em )
Feb 21, 2013, 09:53 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister
+1000.

Fair play to you jjmoris, but im sick of reading about your esc's every post too. Its spam, no matter how good they are.

Back on topic, any reason other than price (and the silly BEC rating) to choose it over an ICE100 lite? (I still havent killed a 100 lite yet, so still like em )
The ICE 100 has some more useful features including logging which the Talon is missing. The list price for the ICE 100 is $139 and the Talon 90 is $89. Depending on what you need the Talon could leave you with $50 more in your pocket.

Steve
Feb 22, 2013, 06:44 PM
Cumulus Altimus
what is the burst rating for talon?

Quick Reply