This thread is privately moderated by BillyWhiz, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 19, 2013, 01:07 PM
Nova Helicopters designer.
Thread OP
Discussion

Some days I think I'm obsessed with our 'hobby'..

..but hey, there's nothing wrong with being keen and really enjoying learning to be a better model pilot huh?

I should tell you I flew a bit in the 1970s & 80s but the radio gear was unreliable - at least over in the English midlands it was! We had CB radio as the new fad in England in the eighties & that coincided with many an uncontrollable r.c. airplane.. Fast fwd a couple hazy decades and, newly relocated to So Cal, I started hankering for another go at R.C. - hopefully without the expensive interference this time.

Three months later I now own about eight planes (that my wife knows about) and I'm probably the scourge of my local field for tearing around with my jets! I remember these guys at the field telling me that I might be able to fly a jet with a few months training on a Bixler or Super Cub.. Hmm, that sounded a bit boring - I did buy an AXN floater jet powered glider from H.K. and within a few weeks I had repaired it 10 times learning inverted figure eight circuits.

I purchased a F35 edf jet from Banana.. before the AXN if I remember..
When I plucked up courage and gave it a try I was amazed I could fly it better than I could the AXN.. well it looked better in the air!

I put a lot of stick time on the F35 as it was a great flyer in any wind conditions, I soon got used to basic aeros - loops, rolls and split S's.. I found flying inverted much easier on the jet - OK I had a few prangs due to loosing orientation and flying too far away while low.. It's a learning curve & you definately CAN'T make a good omolette without breaking a few eggs.

I'm now competant on 4 point rolls, immelmanns and outside loops as well as a little high alpha stuff - handy for landings as if you power the little jet in conventionally, the landing can burn an entire field up!

The left stick needs attention next... I bought an Edge 540qq from a lhs - a great little aircraft - but had a game to start with it when it shed a prop blade on it's second flight.. Horizon came through with an offer of new parts thankfully, I mackled together the bits while my warranty claim was in process and have been flying her every day - started with the recommended expo and throw settings but soon upped the aileron expo to 75% (CORRECTION 55% aileron/elev expo actually) - I'm not a young man anymore!!

Latest purchase will be a 36" wingspan YAK profile EPP 3d bird.. I'm awaiting that airframe along with a few lipos, second charger and a new fresh airframe for my beat up F35 - in fact I ordered an F22 airframe instead but all the ancilliaries fit from the F35.

Oh I think I spelt Omelette wrong... :-)
Last edited by BillyWhiz; Feb 24, 2013 at 12:07 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 19, 2013, 03:00 PM
Great to hear you are having fun with this amazing hobby. I flew control line back when I was a teenager and always dreamed of RC but couldn't afford it. 5 years ago my wife finally bought me an RC plane and I've been having a ball with the hobby.

Quick Reply