Feb 19, 2013, 04:58 AM
MorganTech
Build Log

DW Foamies 38" Ultralight Series Build Thread (New Video Added!)

We took our proven designs from the DW 38in lineup and created a new series which we are calling our 38in UltraLight kits. First off the production line is our 38in. Edge, mostly because this airframe already likes to be flown slowly and without wing rock. This lightweight airframe lends itself to an indoor style foamie and also does very well outdoors. With the AUW coming in at almost one-half the weight of our standard Depron 38in kits, this creates a lightweight indoor/outdoor foamie that is a blast to fly. By the time you read this we’ll have our 38in Juka and Extra 330SC ready for delivery.
If you are flying any of the Twisted Hobbys or WM Parkflyer EPP foamies, your setup will work with any of our UltraLight kits. You will gain 20% more wing area, lowering your wing loading and giving you a new experience in flying lightweight foamies. The Depron Aero is a bit softer and less brittle than Depron, with this light airframe you will be impressed with how well the UltraLights hold up.

38in. UltraLight Series Specs-
• AUW 7.5 ounces w/ 2S-350mAh Lipoly
• Constructed of 6mm White Depron AERO
• Flat Carbon main spar
• The setup uses a single aileron servo with an offset G-10 control horn, EZ-Connectors and carbon pushrods.
• The rudder/elevator is a pull-pull setup including G-10 horns and Dacron line w/cable tensioning.
• Lightweight landing gear

Suggested power system & electronics-
• Dynamo 2205-1400 motor & 8 amp controller
• 8x6 GWS SF prop
• 2S 350-450 mAh for indoor & 3S 450-600mAh for outdoor flying
• 3- servos (6 gram - 9 gram)
• 4 channel RX

DW Foamies Juka 38" UL Ultralight 3D Foamy (2 min 21 sec)
Last edited by electric-2000; Feb 24, 2013 at 08:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 19, 2013, 05:17 AM
MorganTech

Installing Electronics

Here are a few more steps showing how the electronics are setup. In this build we are using Futaba 3114's for the aileron, elevator and rudder. Any 6-9 gram servo will work. For the pull-pull setup we supply Dacron line and for the connections we use an EZ connector with a cable tensioner to keep the line tight in all environments.
Last edited by electric-2000; Feb 19, 2013 at 05:23 AM.
Feb 19, 2013, 12:28 PM
check for reversed controls
Electric 2000 asked me to do a build thread on the Edge , but my son already had it built. That left me feeling a little inadequate but now that the thread is started here's my input on the Depron Aero Edge 540.

The foam is noticeably lighter , seems to be a smaller cell make up , smooth and less porous with the same stiffness and just a little softer as regular 6mm Depron. Super Gold odorless Foam Safe C A is what we used on assembly. Except for mounting the metal motor mount to the G-10 firewall piece. At first my son used blenderm tape saying that's the way Mike does it but this was not adequate .The D P 2205 -1400 Kv on a 8.0x4.5 prop was very torquey and ripped the tape . Now it has a little white Gorilla Glue with a dab in the mounting holes to act as a rivet. And the metal and fire wall was prepped with a little sanding.

The G-10 "fiberglass" material for bell cranks, servo extensions and control horns is strong , light and well thought out. The offset servo arm for differential aileron throw is genius. It gives more down travel than up travel while using a shared aileron servo.

We either miss placed or our kit was short one micro quick link for the tensioning system on the Dacron pull pull control lines. A Dubro Micro one was a perfect replacement.

The only mod we did on the build was we bridged the elevator half's with a spar out of a 2" piece of 3mm C F flat . It seems the elevator half connector likes to crack in past experience.

On the maiden attempt my son only flew it 30 seconds before the motor became un-mounted , it's light weight allowed for no damage on the float down to Earth.
Can't wait to get to see it flown by the best 3D pilots in our club.
Last edited by alpea 41; Feb 19, 2013 at 12:36 PM.
Feb 19, 2013, 12:57 PM
I wasn't going to share this 1 min. video because of the motor mounting failure ,but on second thought it does show the lightness of the airframe . And one of our flying buddies comes up at it to do a little formation flying and I quickly ask him to stand off so as not to mid -air on the first flight.
20130215 0431 (1 min 3 sec)
Feb 19, 2013, 01:32 PM
You put on landing gear? Booooooooo
Feb 19, 2013, 01:56 PM
It makes touch and goes a whole lot easier
Feb 19, 2013, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpea 41
It makes touch and goes a whole lot easier
Understandable...I was just giving you a hard time

That said, it doesn't make sense to me to build an ultralight and include landing gear.
Feb 19, 2013, 05:10 PM
They are on Carbon Fiber rods and can't weigh 3 or4 grams at the most. The wheels are only 7/8 ths on an inch in diameter ,probably act more as prop protectors than wheels. Unless you are on a smooth gym floor or smooth asphault
Feb 20, 2013, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpea 41
They are on Carbon Fiber rods and can't weigh 3 or4 grams at the most. The wheels are only 7/8 ths of an inch in diameter ,probably act more as prop protectors than wheels. Unless you are on a smooth gym floor or smooth asphault
Makes sense.
Feb 21, 2013, 02:33 AM
Chino Renegade oh-gee, yo
Looks like it's light and responsive Al
Nice build, nice touch on the elevator reinforcement. Can't wait to see it.

--Ray
Feb 21, 2013, 03:02 AM
I agree , landing gear makes the best prop savers , lookin good !
Feb 21, 2013, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrench66
Nice build, nice touch on the elevator reinforcement.
Agreed. Nice touch.

As an inexperienced builder, though, I have to ask if a CF rod would have been more appropriate instead of flat CF. The flat CF would be better at resisting twisting force so from the standpoint of durability, it would be optimal, even though the rod would be lighter, right?
Feb 22, 2013, 02:33 AM
You brought two too many.
This thing looks great for superslow in-tight 3D, I going to fly one tomorrow.

I've had good luck taping motors to light foamies. I use a couple pieces of blenderm on each quarter and don't stretch it very much.

And landing gear yes! Makes the plane look better and helps in orientation.
Feb 24, 2013, 04:04 PM
Went to a school yard we used to fly in to get away from the 38 mph Santa Anna winds in ONT. Was alone so put the camera on a tri-pod and flew 6 batteries .. Slow motion fight is what was said on the other thread and is right. It's alotta fun. It Iwas easy to knife edge and hover. Landing speed is 4 mph.
Last edited by alpea 41; Feb 24, 2013 at 08:06 PM.

Quick Reply