May 12, 2015, 01:15 AM
I believe I can Fly.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy
I acquired one of these yesterday for $40.00! I plan on seeing what kind of performance I can get out of it. Has anyone tried it on 4s? It is a slow flyer, so flaps really don't seem to be needed... Should be fun to see what I can do with it. ------Metalguy
if u want slow flight u could use 3s batt and the propeller 10 x 4.7
to remove ads between posts
May 12, 2015, 04:05 PM
always something to learn...
It already does slow flight well, so possibly 4s will give a bit more power. I would guess a larger ESC would be in order, of which I have several. I may try different props, and motor combos, too. Depends what kind of performance I can glean from it stock.----metalguy
May 12, 2015, 10:13 PM
Well....I just tried this out on 3s, and 4s with a 12-8 prop. On 3s, thrust was adequate, and all ran cool, as expected. On 4s, thrust was well over 1:1, and the ESC got VERY hot. As it is only a 30 amp ESC, it was no shocker. (Pun intended) I loaned out my wattsup meter, so I don't know how many amps it pulls on 4s, but the stock ESC will have to go. No worries, as I have some that will work, I'm sure. The motor didn't even get warm on 4s, so I am confident it will do well on 4s, 2200 mAh batteries. Now for some good weather.......-------Metalguy
Last edited by metalguy; May 14, 2015 at 12:30 PM.
May 14, 2015, 10:15 PM
Maidened today. This thing ROCKS on 4s. If you try it, make sure you upgrade the ESC to a larger one, or you will fry the stocker. Amazing speed, and power on 4s, without sacrificing slow speed characteristics. ----Metalguy
May 15, 2015, 07:01 PM
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rohp9l4wa3...23859.jpg?dl=0

I removed the crappy stickers, as they were bubbling up. I gave him some eyes... ---- Metalguy
May 16, 2015, 12:00 PM
Some spirited flying on 4s.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rvjbnpckq4...aiden.MOV?dl=0
Jun 02, 2015, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy
Wow, that looked like a lot of fun. Great flying, and thanks for posting the video!

Waiting for this plane to arrive in the post. I'm very much a beginner, but hoping this will be a good bird to start with. Stock motor/esc and 3s. Got a few spare 9g servos that I thought about installing for flaps.

Just a question regarding the wings. Someone in the thread suggested that they screw on with plastic bolts that look fragile. What is your take on that? Any plans on reinforcing them, or have you already done so?
Jun 05, 2015, 07:50 AM
Nevermind regarding the wing screws. I got the plane and the screws are good as they are.

Just a little bit of a pain to mount/remove the wing. Going to try and modify it somehow to allow for quicker and easier mounting. Has anyone done this, or have any ideas?

Rubber bands are probably not strong enough. Need some sort of mechanism.. hmmm
Jun 08, 2015, 09:15 PM
I rarely remove the wing, as my car is big enough to fit it inside wing and all. feel the bolts are fine. Rubber bands would probably hold the wing fine, but if you needed more assurance, you could put velcro on the surfaces, as well. There is some really good velcro, and it would make it stick that much better if using rubber bands. For those, it would be easy to install wooden dowels through the body, and epoxy, or hot glue them in place so rubber bands could easily be installed. I am now flying almost exclusively 3s packs, as the 4s is really hard on the batteries with the larger prop. Oh, and I dolled her up a bit. Check it out!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/00pvhfy0bk...08449.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7gpypmfqse...28392.jpg?dl=0

(BTW, I am not going to use that 5 blade prop on there. I doubt it would give better performance, and it is quite fragile. Also, if you ever bend the prop shaft, durafly trojan prop shafts fit fine, and are readily available. That was what was wrong with mine when I got it used. )
Last edited by metalguy; Jun 08, 2015 at 09:21 PM. Reason: added info
Jun 16, 2015, 12:39 PM
Perpetual Noob

Trainstar not my choice for a trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69
My recommendation these days is the Ares Gamma 370. It is a great slow flying trainer, and will fly in a baseball field comfortably or in a larger area. Wingspan is 37.8". The Ares Gamma 370 is available from Hobby Town exclusively and parts are available at Hobby Town shops.
I looked at the Trainstar and the Ares Gamma Pro. I ended up with the Volantrex clone of the Gamma Pro, the Cessna 747-1. This way I have a ready source of spare parts as everything appears to be a perfect match except the Volantrex fuselage is an inch shorter. Waiting on a receiver that will fit the servo plugs as they don't fit the Spektrum AR610. I had the Champ and the Sport Cub S but had no real success in learning with them. There's just too much wind around here and no indoor facilities. That's why I am going for a Park Flyer.

I've got all the pieces/parts sealed except the fuse. I'll do that after I get the RCVR mounted. I'm planning on painting the plane then attaching the decals and then applying another sealer to keep them from peeling.

Thanks for the warning about the ESC. I'll keep that in mind and probably order a Turnigy as a replacement.
Jun 16, 2015, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar31
I looked at the Trainstar and the Ares Gamma Pro. I ended up with the Volantrex clone of the Gamma Pro, the Cessna 747-1. This way I have a ready source of spare parts as everything appears to be a perfect match except the Volantrex fuselage is an inch shorter. Waiting on a receiver that will fit the servo plugs as they don't fit the Spektrum AR610. I had the Champ and the Sport Cub S but had no real success in learning with them. There's just too much wind around here and no indoor facilities. That's why I am going for a Park Flyer.

I've got all the pieces/parts sealed except the fuse. I'll do that after I get the RCVR mounted. I'm planning on painting the plane then attaching the decals and then applying another sealer to keep them from peeling.

Thanks for the warning about the ESC. I'll keep that in mind and probably order a Turnigy as a replacement.
You need to wake up early or fly just as it is getting dark. Flying in the DC area between 9am and 6:30pm on most days means more wind than most beginners need!

http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/laun...=KJYO&state=VA

Use the link above for a great wind forecast.
Jun 16, 2015, 04:52 PM
I've been thinking about that Trainstar. I like high wing planes anyway and that one looks like it would have some potential.
Jun 20, 2015, 01:57 AM
To me, the best beginner trainer is the GWS slow stick, hands down, but this one is a god intermediate trainer. -----Metalguy
Jun 20, 2015, 06:21 AM
I look at models such as this as inexpensive but with a sound enough design to handle improvements and changes to become a nice sized plane for some fun flying and doing some acrobatics. The hard core 3D stuff a lot of people like interests me not a bit.
Jun 22, 2015, 12:31 PM
I have been thinking about mine... The firewall seems pretty flexible, and allows the motor to move so.e while in use. I think I will reinforce it with some ply, and see if I can get more precise flying with it. It is fine on lower power settings, but gets wild with full throttle.-----Metalguy

Quick Reply