Feb 19, 2013, 03:00 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Trainstar Tough Trainer 1.4m, Is it good for beginner?

I'm searching all over rcgroup but couldn't find any post on the (Lanyu) Trainstar,
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...sion_PNF_.html

Could anyone share with the comment on this plane as trainer for beginner?
I'm first started with Bixler2. But after several crashes, I'm thinking about to switch to this one. After gaining some experience, then going back to revisit the Bixler2 again.

Any thought?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 19, 2013, 11:33 AM
I personally never recommend Hobby King "trainers" simply because of the lack of parts support for many of their kits. It can be frustrating for newbies having to wait weeks for parts to come in for their crashed planes. You will crash your first plane if you are a newbie, that's a given. My recommendation these days is the Ares Gamma 370. It is a great slow flying trainer, and will fly in a baseball field comfortably or in a larger area. Wingspan is 37.8". The Ares Gamma 370 is available from Hobby Town exclusively and parts are available at Hobby Town shops.
Feb 19, 2013, 01:31 PM
If you can't fly a Bixler, you don't want to try that.

General rule of thumb for trainers, if there isn't a LONG thread on it here, you don't want it.

Best option, find a buddy that can fly that has a buddy box....get help.
Feb 20, 2013, 12:54 AM
I believe the plane that you are looking for is not easlier to fly than the bixler because it has a shorter wing but double the weight, so this plane will not float as well as the bixler and it has a nose prop which means more damage when crash.

Edmond
Feb 25, 2013, 09:52 AM
PEMAC
Damage to the prop maybe. $2 to replace. But have you seen it fly? The fuse is blown plastic and is pretty indestructible. Try tearing up an empty ice cream tub.

Lanyu TrainStar -- The new Kungfu Able Trainer Plane (4 min 45 sec)
Feb 25, 2013, 09:58 AM
PEMAC
Lanyu TrainStar -- 2nd Review with Fuselage Abuse (6 min 14 sec)
Mar 30, 2013, 07:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydiver
General rule of thumb for trainers, if there isn't a LONG thread on it here, you don't want it.
Exception to the rule of thumb is when the plane is new.

From what I've read in some Spanish forums this plane is a very good trainer. Someone at hobbyking argues it's not good because it's a little bit heavy, while others say that's better for a trainer as it will handle wind better.

Here you have a video of someone that had never flown an airplane before (he had flown helis and I guess he had trained airplanes in the simulator).

vuelo trainstar lanyu.MOV (3 min 16 sec)
Apr 22, 2013, 06:22 AM
Calone

best trainer ?

For me the best trainer was the Parkzone Radian (non-Pro version)
If you get bored of flying the Radian you can easely throw some FPV gear and have fun.

Cheers
May 29, 2013, 03:41 AM
I am beginner and I just ordered one, will keep you guys posted if I had any issue with this.
My main reason that I bought this one was I find some good reviews, plus there is no way I will buy those Gliders/Bixler . I prefer break it and learn to repair it if I could rather than dealing with sluggish plain. But I’ve practiced a lot with simulator but I know reality will be more difficult. Hence, I will have trainer to body my transmitter and help me ☺
I wanted to buy Durafly war birds but every one advised me not to do so, as it’s impossible for me to have safe landing with them ☺
Jun 09, 2013, 05:26 PM
I did buy one as well as I like to have a trainer and my previous one was 3 channels. Maidened it yesterday with a 1800 lipo.

It was a little bit windy, but the plane flies very well. Didn't push it too much on aerobatics, but it did nice overall. I also added flaps. When hand launching using flaps it climbed vertically (flaps are not needed at all). Flaps did not help at all when landing, as the plane entered the "runway" (more of a grassway) completely crossed facing the wind.

Did two landings, on the first one it flipped over (absolutely no damage), the second one was fine (grass was tall, so I was expecting it not to land well).

For beginners, beware that this plane can get quicker than you would want for a beginner, so there's no need to use full throttle.

The rudder is also extremely sensitive, so if you are beginner, try to make the rudder movement small by using the inner part of the servo arm and/or the outer side of the rudder horn, and if you have a programmable Tx use an exponential on the rudder straight off.

I'm pretty sure it will handle a 2200 lipo well, as reported on other sites.

Overall, I like this plane, it has a decent price, it flies well, wings look very strong, and weight seems ok.

Will try to add some videos/pics and more feedback when I get to fly it without wind.
Jun 15, 2013, 09:37 AM
I found another video of the trainstar doing some aerobatics, and taking some beating!

Aug 24, 2013, 10:20 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by chech
I did buy one as well as I like to have a trainer and my previous one was 3 channels. Maidened it yesterday with a 1800 lipo.

It was a little bit windy, but the plane flies very well. Didn't push it too much on aerobatics, but it did nice overall. I also added flaps. When hand launching using flaps it climbed vertically (flaps are not needed at all). Flaps did not help at all when landing, as the plane entered the "runway" (more of a grassway) completely crossed facing the wind.

Did two landings, on the first one it flipped over (absolutely no damage), the second one was fine (grass was tall, so I was expecting it not to land well).

For beginners, beware that this plane can get quicker than you would want for a beginner, so there's no need to use full throttle.

The rudder is also extremely sensitive, so if you are beginner, try to make the rudder movement small by using the inner part of the servo arm and/or the outer side of the rudder horn, and if you have a programmable Tx use an exponential on the rudder straight off.

I'm pretty sure it will handle a 2200 lipo well, as reported on other sites.

Overall, I like this plane, it has a decent price, it flies well, wings look very strong, and weight seems ok.

Will try to add some videos/pics and more feedback when I get to fly it without wind.
Your post is very inspiring me. As absolute beginner, I'm just done with the Bixler2 after several crash and tired of fixing it. Will report back again once I have my first hand experience with this trainstar
Dec 15, 2013, 11:33 AM

Ares Gamma 370

My first airplane was Lanyu's TW 747-I I have recently found that it is the same model as the Ares Gamma 370 and the Venom Island Hopper. Finding this gave me open doors to all kinds of spare parts and it is a good flying airplane.
Jan 16, 2014, 01:57 AM

Trainstar

Having flown a Trainstar over the last few weeks I can honestly say that it is a joy to fly. Its weak spot is its undercarriage, its aluminum but its fixed onto a small plywood plate under the plastic fuselage. I have bent the fuselage where the undercarriage is attached after a nose over landing, disappointing but repairable. Please share if anyone out there has beefed up the plane around the undercarriage area as i would love some tips.
Apr 02, 2014, 05:11 AM
Hi there,
Im thinking getting the trainstar,
After flying it, what do you think of the trainer?
Isaac

Quick Reply