This thread is privately moderated by phil alvirez, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 18, 2013, 10:03 PM
Thread OP
Cool

the good luck hat

those were the days, my friend...
chapter 1.-in 1 of my many lives (my son calls me 'the cat', as i have lived-and survived-many adventures), i had a hobby shop at a mall, where i gave free building and flying lessons to my customers, most of them children from 8 years up. i had a building board and benches where they sat, and customers passing by were amazed at the sight-and some became members of the free club. when they finished their planes they took them to the field and i taught them to fly, be control line or radio. at the time i had my 1st Elf, a high wing trainer with a single channel radio, that was so stable that could fly free flight, and everybody wanted to fly it.
you can see pics of it somewhere here (i think is page 5-this is getting out of hand!)
2.- soon i learned that i had to arrive at dawn to be able to fly it, and even then they learned that and i had to do something else to have a chance to fly it. so i decided to sell kits, and later ready to fly planes, with free flying lessons included. this way at least i had the chance to fly mine now and then.
3.- there were visitors that became fascinated with the plane once they had the chance to fly it. 1 of them was a lady that walking by the mall became interested in giving her husband a plane so he could get into the hobby. she even went to the field and wanted to try it, so i handled her the transmitter and gave her some instructions and there she was, having a ball. once the engine stopped, the plane got into a thermal and remained there for 10 minutes. and i could not get my transmitter back! eventually the plane began to descend and even then she didn't give me back the tx, so i instructed her to land, and she did a great job. her husband became a regular, but somehow i didn't see her again. maybe because she was better pilot than him.
4.-anyway, by then i wore a cowboy hat (and still do so) to protect me from the sun and to give me some shield from the light so i could see the plane better. and 1 day, when 1 of my customers got into trouble when i was with another 1, began to call me for help, and i realized that the sun was blinding him, so i took my hat off (he was not wearing any) and put it on his head and he regained control. later, when he got into trouble again, he didn't ask me for help; he asked for the hat!
after that, whenever any1 was in trouble, he cried for the good luck hat. they believed that when wearing it they could get away of any situation-and they did!
wonderful memories of golden days!
Last edited by phil alvirez; Feb 20, 2013 at 01:18 AM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply