Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:36 PM
Find More Posts by rwpeek
Discussion

Gentle Lady build - help needed

Building the Gentle Lady wing, right inboard panel, the directions say to "position 1/8" ply spar brace in front slots but dont glue. See image attached of page 6 of the recent issue manual.

This is the step I am on, and dont know if I should be looking for a laser cut piece or if this is a piece of scrap. What is the purpose of this step?

Name: gentle lady.jpg
Views: 127
Size: 101.6 KB
Description: page from manual

clicking on the image will enlarge the page...

- it appears to be temporary use of the piece of wood, but the ribs 6 and 7 are already glued in place so dont need to have their position held..
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:23 PM
Find More Posts by jwhitacre
I remember that piece. It's kind of a half teardrop shape and was laser cut in my kit a few years back. I've built 2 GL's and both had them. I believe it's for spar support but kind of a weird spot for it. Anyway they get glued into place eventually.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:40 PM
Find More Posts by scaflock
I need some building time in t
It's a brace that will be glued into place later. They have you install it at this point because you wouldn't be able to get it into place later. It's kind of a strange way of doing it but it does work.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:47 PM
Find More Posts by rwpeek
Those comments help a lot, because I know to search for it in the kit and that is is used later- put in place now because for some reason it cannot be positioned later.

It's odd, because all the following pictures don't show it - it disappeared, and I still haven't found any reference to it later - in words or pictures.

I'll just keep rereading the instructions until I figure it out or someonesheds more light.

The Gentle Lady Kit is truly remarkable - very well designed, great laser cut pieces, but I find the documentation could be more detailed. There is a lot of thought process to figure out what to do in some places. And because it is not detailed, it is easy to make a mistake that would need time and materials to correct.

I am still trying to figure out how this piece is used and I'll post the answer whan and if I find it. Meanwhile if someone knows, please advise!
Last edited by rwpeek; Feb 18, 2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:30 PM
Find More Posts by HIR/Cer
The spar braces are in the 1/8" ply sheet (sheet 6009) shown on page 4 of the instructions. One is simply labeled 'brace' and there is another one in the same sheet. The Gentle Lady is definitely a favorite of a friend of mine and it is a very nice floater.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 08:31 PM
Find More Posts by Cbed90
Sailplanes Rock & Balsa Rules!
Glad this post was here as I was just scratching my head over this. I found the pieces on my own but wasn't sure about the orientation of the piece. Think I have it now. I look forward to finishing but the cold weather has a long way to go before it's sailing time any way.