This thread is privately moderated by tntangel, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 18, 2013, 02:49 PM
Discussion

Give Autism the Boot Raffle

At the RC Groups.com ETOC we are having a raffle for a great cause. Every year at ETOC we have a raffle for a charity and this year like last we are having a "Give Autism the Boot" campaign.
Great way for vendors at the Toledo Expo to get involved with the ETOC and the kids to help fight a worthy cause.
Buy your tickets at the show or the event for a great chance for cool prizes and to help find a cure.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 18, 2013, 06:10 PM
rc, Rc, RC, RCRCRC
As a father of a 4 year old Autistic boy I am glad to see this. Autism is effecting too many children and its a hard day in and day out thing to deal with.

Good Job Guys,

Chris
Feb 18, 2013, 07:12 PM
AMA 994002
As a Father of a 7 year old and a 13 year old (who also flies with me) in "The Spectrum", #1 Son has Asperger's, ADHD, PDD, #2 Son has ADD, PDD, and every day it affects them, us, the whole Family. It's good that stuff like this happens, but more needs to be done for these kids. At our school system, they are ill equipped to deal with special needs kids, they just stick them "in the mix" with "normal" (sic) kids, and my 7 year old requires 101 attention at school that he doesn't really get, and yes, he DOES have an IEP, and it's useless, at least the way they're going about what it (IEP) dictates...
Feb 19, 2013, 11:43 AM
rc, Rc, RC, RCRCRC
matiac I agree its a daily struggle especially with IEP's that are not followed. We have been lucky a lawyer retained when my son was 18 months has been power house to see things get done. He is now a good friend and fellow RC pilot.
Mar 08, 2013, 04:19 PM
Here are some of the fine people who have donated products so far;
Desert Aircraft
AeroWorks
TufFlight
Fancy Foam
Mag-Men R/C Products
Flying Foam
3D FigureWorks
West Michigan Park Flyers
Valley View R/C
R/C Aircraft Components
Great Planes
Hobbico
Futaba
Beacon Adhesives/Foam Tac
SWB
TnT Landing Gear
Hawk Model Company, Ltd.
Aero-Model Inc./Hacker Brushless

We will keep adding more as they come in. Vendors, this is a great way to get involved in a worthy cause.

If you would like to donate then give us a shout.
Last edited by gearman; Apr 01, 2013 at 08:34 PM. Reason: added Aero-Model Inc./Hacker Brushless
Mar 09, 2013, 02:44 AM
As a father of a 23 yr old that has Aspergers...I am all with you..

My son went through school in gifted classes and aced them all...had his black belt in karate at 13..I just wish there was something to help there social skills..My son went to culinary school lives 1200 miles from us now good job makes decent money but I feel bad for him because he wants to meet a girl..and those are one of the skills he lacks...
Last edited by Ginohio; Mar 09, 2013 at 02:52 AM. Reason: not enough info..
Mar 10, 2013, 04:17 AM
I have mild Asperger's, and that is the reason why I don't seem to understand facial expressions, humor such as sarcasm, and I can't tell when people are bothered and being polite. I take words literally.

But online, it seems that everything can be taken literally, so that's pretty good.

My mom said I didn't talk until I was 5, and when I did, I spoke in complete sentences. There were a bunch of other reasons why she ended up getting me tested, but it was pretty bad when I was a child. Now, it's pretty mild.

I see younger children with autism, and I know exactly what to do, and how to help. Even though mine is mild, and I "trained" myself how to respond to people, and analyze peoples reactions when it should be natural, I still can think about what my first instinct would be, and I can tell what people are thinking.
Mar 11, 2013, 10:21 PM
Just added Hobbico, Great Planes and Futaba to the list.
Mar 12, 2013, 03:02 PM
You guys are my heroes.
Mar 12, 2013, 03:51 PM
Admin Deluxe
My 9 year old son has Asperger's syndrome.
It is a blessing and curse for him.
I applaud the support TNT Landing Gear gives each year!
Mar 21, 2013, 06:31 AM
Added Beacon Adhesives, SWB & TnT to the list
Mar 24, 2013, 08:05 PM
Added Hawk Model Company, Ltd. to the list. Vendors you still have time to get involved in this great event.
Mar 28, 2013, 11:47 AM
Official Boat Bum
What a worthy cause. Really happy to see it. My 6 year old son is on the ASD spectrum. It was pure hell until we figured out what and how to do it to get him started on learning how to learn and cope with this disability. We are really moving along now. We will have many challenges ahead no doubt but we are really making progress right now.

The thing about Autism that most who don't know what it is: It's the fact that many of the ASD kids can be brought up to such a high level of function that when they are adults they can be completely productive and happy people. Look at people like Ablert Einstein - clearly someone who grew up and lived with Autism but where would be be today without what he gave to the scientific world? Autism is not a life sentence of hard labor. But significant and specialized work is required for success - the difference is the future of an Autistic kid can be completely changed with intention and follow through. The line between a person who needs services for the rest of their life and someone who serves their community in outstanding ways is early intervention and education in the community as a whole (not just "education" for autistic kids and their families, but for everyone).

Thank you for helping this cause with your charitable event.
Mar 28, 2013, 11:49 AM
Admin Deluxe
I totally agree.
Mar 28, 2013, 07:56 PM
rc, Rc, RC, RCRCRC
Now the stats are saying 1 in 50 children that's staggering number. Awareness is going to bite a lot of people with an Autistic child in there immediate family. This cause is a great step in the right direction.

Quick Reply