Feb 27, 2013, 04:53 AM
Thanks Les. Interesting thread.

What we need in a display is something that is visible in direct light, is large, is very portable, runs off 12V, draws very little current, can be interfaced to a computer (the timing system) and is cheap.

I can find displays that tick some of those boxes (like what we will try at Albany this weekend) - but visibility in sunlight at low cost is the killer. Need one of those yellow display boards on the sides of buses - electromechanical and just the right size.

Simon
to remove ads between posts
Feb 27, 2013, 07:25 AM
Something like this?
http://www.ablescale.com.au/media/pd...640_ranger.pdf

Specs says some versions are 12VDC suitable, 5" number height, visible for 100m.
http://www.ablescale.com.au/equipmen...ctromechanical

I'll email for a price so we know ballpark costs for something like this, is this something we could maybe get a AWA/MAAA grant for?
Feb 27, 2013, 08:58 AM
Yep. Just like those (D641)

Make sure you are sitting down when the price arrives

This one might be a cheaper option (for time only):
http://www.ablescale.com.au/media/pd...ow_display.pdf
Feb 27, 2013, 09:46 PM
AvB
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Did someone over in WA have a Sting F3F for sale? I'm chasing a used one in good nick.
Feb 28, 2013, 05:52 PM
PJM
PJM
AvB I will do some digging around for you this weekend.. I think there are two Stings here in WA I know of.

PaulM
Feb 28, 2013, 10:43 PM
AvB
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Hey thanks Paul much appreciated.
Mar 01, 2013, 12:14 AM
"The devil made me do it!"
I think it was Fly in High who had one for sale last year Paul

Good luck in Albany this weekend boys, hope the F3F goes off.

Nigel
Mar 01, 2013, 06:14 AM
Ridge It
The Sting from Chad was sold to Don you might be able to twist his arm as he will need funds for another new plane as he wore his cyril out at Esprance.
Mar 01, 2013, 06:16 AM
Ridge It
Wont be in Albany boys short 3 days off then back up to Parra. Have fun..
Mar 01, 2013, 09:03 AM

Albany F3F - April 2013

Friday - the day before the contest.

Easterly breeze, so where will we fly?
Ben Derg Beach says Paul.
Short trip east of Albany, but 4 wheel drive access only. Turns out to be a great spot with surrounding area providing coverage for NE round to SW.

Good enough breeze for full ballast although it dropped off later in the afternoon. Fantastic lift and easy landing. Mounted a camera on the Ceres Lift and played chase against Paul's Predator. Video to come later.

Looks like Shelley's Beach for the contest tomorrow.

Simon
Mar 02, 2013, 05:37 AM
Have Wings, will Fly!
I feel sorry for you guys, travelling all that way and finding heaps of lift.....
Mar 02, 2013, 07:36 AM
Albany, the place to slope off
Albany comp, Glenn doing his best with a un-trimed model..... :-)
Mar 02, 2013, 10:56 AM
Another crack in the wing
http://www.oberflugmodellbau.de/2.html
another link to ew4 have a look at the link to
carbon art winching and f3b.
Grant
Mar 02, 2013, 06:01 PM
PJM
PJM
For those of you following the F3F comp in Albany this weekend.

We got underway by 1.30 Saturday in little more than 8-10 kts. The best gust for the day was 12kts but very briefly otherwise it was 8-10 most of the day however the direction was good for Shelleys and we had no rain while the comp was underway. Times were generally in the high 50's and low 60's but fastest time for the day was 50.76 sec. We got through 10 rounds with 8 entrants flying the usual 2 rounds back to back.
Today we are looking at another southeasterly at around 10 kts but still early and still a chance we may get a SSW which is good for Turbine 10. So will see how that develops later this morning.
We have a search to do this morning for Ross's Ellipse which he lost on Friday while practicing at Marine Dr. We have a camera mounted quad copter to assist so still hopefull of finding it.
Simon and I were at Ben Dearg Beach on Friday in massive lift for practice it was around 20-25kts with an excellant landing zone. Just a few photos snapped from the phone.

PaulM
Mar 02, 2013, 09:08 PM

Timing System Update

So. The LED display worked but was next to useless. The sun just washed out the display even with a shade over it. The time was right but it was too hard to see

Need some thing better

Perfect size and type would be a display like the ones on the side of a bus. Electromechanical.

Quick Reply