Feb 20, 2013, 10:02 AM

How to thermal download

Hi guys, Paul Naton has made one of his DVDs that normally sell for $25 available for $10 as a download. The first one available is Secrets of Thermal Soaring and contains much of the information from my lectures the other week about finding thermals etc.
Available at that price until end of the month.

http://www.radiocarbonart.com/secretsdd.html
to remove ads between posts
Feb 20, 2013, 10:03 AM
Another crack in the wing
HI all, the ACE motel on Albany hwy Albany is $95. online.
Great photo's les it takes a keen eye to see a line break and snap it with the camera. Fantastic day. Who didnt enjoy it put your hand up. As I thought no hands.
Grant
Feb 20, 2013, 03:22 PM
Everything's A Compromise
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterpk
DD92, is that the one Fritz used on the Fletcher?
Correct.
The Sniper uses the DD92 8416 for the flapped span of the wing which then transitioned to DD96 8016 at the tip for the aileroned span.
The DD96 is one of the profiles Fritz used on the later, V-tailed Fletcher.

I'd love to show the overlay of the DD92 and DP's current design philosophy but alas, I must respect his request for discretion.
But suffice to say, the RG14 is just a "paint layer" different to the DD92 which is a paint layer different to the DP.
What I can show is the Sniper profiles.
D.
Feb 20, 2013, 07:18 PM
I had a Fletcher for a while, fast as f#!&. Quite enjoyed flying it, very honest model. Would be interesting to explore again with modern manufacturing techniques to drop a bit of weight and now we have more capable radios to really use the foil to its best.
Feb 20, 2013, 08:35 PM
Thread OP

Fletcher

Quote:
I had a Fletcher for a while, fast as f#!&. Quite enjoyed flying it, very honest model. Would be interesting to explore again with modern manufacturing techniques to drop a bit of weight and now we have more capable radios to really use the foil to its best.
You could probably ask Fritz . He still designs and builds his own, or at least He did for the 2009 F3b WC. Pretty sure I saw a picture of him at last years F3f WC with the same model.
Feb 21, 2013, 01:05 AM
Everything's A Compromise
Quote:
I had a Fletcher for a while, fast as f#!&. very honest model. Would be interesting to explore again with modern manufacturing techniques to drop a bit of weight and now we have more capable radios to really use the foil to its best.
Which is exactly why we chose that profile(s). I can see no logical reason other than it's setup as to why the Sniper doesn't perform to expectation. It thermals well, launches respectably, has a good l/d for distance but it just doesn't want to "get on the step" in the speed course in its current state.

As I said, I have personal stuff to sort out and after that, I'll have some time to play with CG, ballast etc etc.
D.
Feb 21, 2013, 08:46 PM
"The devil made me do it!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJM
I do need some flat field practice.. Maybe again this Saturday..

Your favourite CD

PaulM
Hi Mr Favorite CD

I'll have my winch running tomorrow if you want to get the Carachoo going.

Nigel
Feb 23, 2013, 06:13 AM
Have Wings, will Fly!
Guys
Have fun in Albany, unfortunately I will not be attending.
I will be out of town working at that time...

Don
Feb 24, 2013, 11:04 AM
Another crack in the wing
Sorry to hear Don, we will all be thinking of you while we zip up and down the slope.
Grant
Feb 24, 2013, 10:20 PM
"The devil made me do it!"
Sorry guys I also won't be making Albany this year. Taking a little break from F3F and building a new Glider tug instead. Hope you guys have a ripper weekend and hopefully at T10 and not Shellies

Nigel
Feb 25, 2013, 04:55 AM
PJM
PJM
Don , Nigel, sorry to hear you can't make it to Albany, I am sure we will be doing a load of flying as usual. It is looking a bit too easterly even for Shelleys but there are a number of locations we can fly in some awsome lift.
Feb 25, 2013, 07:30 AM
Have Wings, will Fly!
Paul, I'm sure you guys will have a great time.
Feb 26, 2013, 07:44 AM

F3X Timing System

I've been working on the timing system again. Can't help myself - I just have to keep changing it

A few improvements for Albany F3F. The sounds and announcements will be louder. And I've made it easier for the CD to keep the contest going smoothly.

One new feature to try out is an LED display for the flight time. I'm not sure how well it will work because bright sunlight tends to washout the display. Let you know how it goes at Albany.

Finally I'm looking for feedback on another new feature that I've been working on. Since the timing system records all rounds, flights, times and pilots; it's not a huge step to make the results available live to smartphones. So you could check on flight times and contest scoring as the flights progress.

So I need you to tell me if live scoring and publishing via WLAN to smartphones is actually something that you would like to see. This might be just local to the flying site, or if mobile coverage is available, perhaps also to the Internet.

So tell me what you think. Good idea? Bad idea? Useful? Solution looking for a problem?

Cheers
Simon
Feb 26, 2013, 08:19 AM
Have Wings, will Fly!
Simon
May be a useful idea, anyone lurking could check the scores, live!
Feb 26, 2013, 09:09 AM
Probably worth a read if you're looking at clocks Simon.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1115636

Quick Reply