Feb 18, 2013, 04:05 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

WA Multi Task Gliding

Hi All

Following on from our discussions on the "Perth Slope Soaring" thread https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1094248 sugestion was made to start a new thread for all things Gliding in Western Australia whether it be slope, F3J thermal, Scale, F3b Multi task Glider etc etc. So here it is and please feel free to start posting and discussing everyone. Lots of Photos Don

I'll kick things off with the results from Saturdays AWA State F3B Glider Comp' at the KAMS field south of Perth. A Great day of very close competition with a great bunch of guys including young Cambell Kilgour in his first every F3b event and also flying his dads Victor F3b for the first time. Great to see Cambell in action and it won't be long with a bit more practice that he will start to challenge his dad and the rest of us for results. Also good to see Don who defected from the F3F Slope crowd to see what the "Flat Field stuff" is all about. He was soon getting the hang of things and will be a competitor to watch out for in the future.

For myself I had a great day and apart from blowing the first round of Thermal. I went left off the launch when I should have gone right and hence found nothing but sink! I should have landed and relaunched but it was what it was. Otherwise I was very happy how I flew and how the settings on my Cyril F3b are slowly getting better and better each time it's flown. I also managed to break the mythical 20second barrier in speed for the first time thanks to a bit of coaching from our "Mr F3B" Tim Kullack and "Thermal Super Coach" Les Stockly. Thank you guys you don't know how happy I was to finally get out of doing flat 20's in the last 3 comp's and into a sub 20 for the first time - It's definitely been a huge help to my flying to have such experienced pilots like you to not only fly with/against but helping with setups and flying technique. Many of us have enjoyed the benefits and it shows when you see how close the scores at our events are these days. My 1 bad thermal round was enough to drop me from fighting for 4th to just holding onto 7th. Not like the "Olden Days" when 1000 points might cover the top 3, now it's the top 8-10 with some places decided by mere points. Great to see everyone and I hope the Eastern Staters get worried for the Milang F3B event next year, The Boys from the West are coming!

What’s coming up next?

March 2013
Saturday 2nd - 11.00am – Albany WA – Day One - AWA F3F Glider – CD Paul Marshall
Sunday 3rd - 11.00am – Albany WA – Day Two - AWA F3F Glider – CD Paul Marshall
Monday4th – Labour Day Public Holiday
Saturday 16th – 1.00pm – KAMS Field – Glider Aero-tow – CD Ian Salau
Friday 29th – Easter Friday – Public Holiday
Friday 29th - Futaba Aerotow – Jerilderie, NSW – Day One – Brian Simpson
Saturday 30th - Futaba Aerotow – Jerilderie, NSW – Day Two – Brian Simpson
Sunday 31st - Futaba Aerotow – Jerilderie, NSW – Day Three – Brian Simpson
Sunday 31st – Easter Sunday

April 2013
Monday 1st - Futaba Australia Aerotow – Jerilderie, NSW – Day Four – Brian Simpson
Monday 1st – Easter Monday Public Holiday
Saturday 13th - 9.00am – (Location TBC) – Day One - WA F3B Open - Glider – CD Tim Kullack
Sunday 14th - 9.00am – (Location TBC) – Day Two - WA F3B Open - Glider – CD Tim Kullack
Thursday 25th - Anzac Day Public Holiday
Saturday 27th - 10.00am – Margaret River – Day One – Margaret River Glider Rally – CD Ray Datodi
Sunday 28th - 10.00am – Margaret River – Day Two – Margaret River Glider Rally – CD Ray Datodi

Nigel M
Attached Thumbnails 48.7 KB · Views: 12
43.9 KB · Views: 9
43.8 KB · Views: 7
55.6 KB · Views: 8
29.3 KB · Views: 8
29.0 KB · Views: 10
28.4 KB · Views: 8
135.6 KB · Views: 10
to remove ads between posts
Feb 18, 2013, 04:37 AM
"The devil made me do it!"
Sorry all

Looks like I create a Blog and not a thread DOH !
Cheers Tim for sorting it for us.

Here are the attachments from my previous post.

Nigel
Feb 18, 2013, 06:43 AM
Have Wings, will Fly!
Well done guys for setting up the new thread, although "Multi Task" probably was not my first choice for new comers looking for all things gliding in WA, but it is what it is.

As they say "Build it and they will come" we shall see.

Don
Feb 18, 2013, 07:12 AM
Thread OP

Re name ?

Can the name be changed or do we start again ?
Feb 18, 2013, 07:57 AM
Have Wings, will Fly!
Not sure, possibly the person who started the thread can change the name, we will have to check with an administrator.

I have not found a winch yet!

Its raining at Solomon...
Feb 18, 2013, 10:08 PM
Thread OP

f3b pics

I love those shots where the model just leaves the hand and the wings are loaded and bending ( or is the camera lense doing funny things ?? ) either way I like it !!

Yes Les , great to see some some new faces having a go.
Cambell was brilliant as was Don.
Nigel crackin 20secs very cool.
Mike flew awesome, zero mistakes and gave us all another F3b lesson.
He looks well on track for the F3B worlds in Germany later this year.

There must be more photos out there some where ??

Huge thanks again to Simon, Danny , Bruce , Garry and everyone who attended.
I think it was our best group effort yet and look forward to many more.
The flying standard has really improved.
The improvement I think could be down to modern airframes, a better understanding of the tasks and the willingness of everyone to chip in and help each other out.
A pat on the back to all.

Next one April 13th & 14th. Just need to find a field !!!
Feb 18, 2013, 10:59 PM
Whoops Another Crack

New site Fantastic Don

Don, multi task gliding ( F3X WA ). Fantastic idea.
Grant
Feb 19, 2013, 07:38 AM
Have Wings, will Fly!
Grant, the idea has been around for a while, someone just needed to express it publicly
Last edited by dont; Feb 19, 2013 at 07:55 AM.
Feb 19, 2013, 08:04 AM
Have Wings, will Fly!
Les,
Great photos, your group shot is better that the one I have!

Tim,
For me it was the fact that everyone was welcome to help and assist, share experience and make me welcome, especially your self mate, can't thank you enough for starting me off.

Don
Feb 19, 2013, 06:45 PM
David Vels
Subscribed
David
Feb 20, 2013, 02:03 AM
PJM
PJM
I will be posting all my usual slope, F3F and DS news here....

Had a good time on the winch on the weekend... first launch from the flat field in 12 months or so........it showed!! also first launch with the Coracho off the winch.. It was a good comp even though I got there a bit late and missed the duration task. I do need some flat field practice.. Maybe again this Saturday..

For those of you heading for Albany for the State Open F3F comp, Simon and I will be in Albany on Friday 1st about 2.00pm. the competition will be held the 2nd and 3rd March. We will be staying at the Sleep Inn Hospitality. The Amity is booked out, where we normally stay, but the Sleep Inn is just down the road on Albany Hwy. If you call them direct (089817399) the rooms cost $90/n.

For our location on Friday afternoon and where we will be flying on Saturday /Sunday you can call me on 0438094969 on the day, preferably before 9.00am for Sat/Sun as we will be out on the slope after that.

Your favourite CD

PaulM
Last edited by PJM; Feb 20, 2013 at 02:08 AM.
Feb 20, 2013, 05:30 AM
Thread OP

F3b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrikin
Subscribed
David
Hi David, Nice to see you here. How is the Sniper project going ? Last I heard a new wing was being considered ?

Cheers
Tim...
Feb 20, 2013, 06:49 AM
David Vels
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbp285
Hi David, Nice to see you here. How is the Sniper project going ? Last I heard a new wing was being considered ?

Cheers
Tim...
G'day Tim,
All the drawings are done. DP sections used.
But I have to say, once I overlayed the primary DP section onto the DD92 (original wing profile) I was encouraged to persevere with the original wing. There's only been one Sniper built and I now own it. When I have the available time I'll be trying more settings.
Evan is the primary force for the new wing, and I will be helping where I can but I can't help but think that there wasn't enough time put into sorting out the original wing before consulting DP.
Ev's also doing a new fuse mould too. Moving away from the pull-for-up on the ruddervators, he's looking to reduce the boom diameter, therefore weight, at the aft of the model, offering an overall weight reduction.
Milang next year is a possibility for sure.
David
Feb 20, 2013, 10:00 AM
DD92, is that the one Fritz used on the Fletcher?

Quick Reply