Dec 29, 2003, 07:18 PM
Thread OP

Are the cosel power supplies preadjusted for 12v and powering the charger?

Do I need to do anything before I hook my GWS charger to it other than the power cord add on. What should I use for connecting the charger to the power supply? Could someone post some pics of their power supply and what there receiving ends look like?
Last edited by almies; Dec 29, 2003 at 08:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 29, 2003, 09:12 PM
KG7TTQ - Las Vegas
The cosel chargers are stated as being pre adjusted to 13.8v which is the nominal voltage of a 12 volt automotive battery. Your GWS charger should be fine up to 14.5 volts. Please see the following thread for more great ideas on this power supply:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...hreadid=175995

Mark
Latest blog entry: DIY Benchtop CNC
Dec 29, 2003, 09:28 PM
Thread OP
I have seen that thread and plan on doing no stick's mod. I don't know what kind and what gauge wire I need to use for hooking up the charger to the power supply.

Is there a way to mod my charger ends to be interchangeable with banana plug and a lighter plug for a car?
Dec 29, 2003, 11:16 PM
Right Honorable Member
Put banana plugs on your charger and get one of these from Radio Shack

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...%5Fid=270-1521
Dec 30, 2003, 06:23 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally posted by flatfour
Put banana plugs on your charger and get one of these from Radio Shack

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...%5Fid=270-1521
Using that should I put a cigarette lighter on the charger and plug that this into that? Does Radio Shack carry the Cigarette Lighter receptor?
Dec 30, 2003, 08:33 AM
The one I received had to be adjusted. I believe these supplies are used and removed from equipment, so I would not expect them to be pre-adjusted.
Dec 30, 2003, 12:00 PM
Don't bother with the cigarette lighter plug. They're not built heavy enough for more than a few Amps. Heavy-duty banana plugs are much better. Use the same gauge wire as what's on the charger's cord.
Dec 30, 2003, 04:25 PM
Frequent flyer
I routinely pull 15 amps from my lighter adapter in my car, I'm guessing you would easily get by with using one for your purpose.

(for automotive purposes, you can even jump start vehicles through the cigarette lighter, with an adapter to regulate it...)

http://www.netlinedirect.com/detail.asp?prod_ID=346
Dec 30, 2003, 07:35 PM
KG7TTQ - Las Vegas

No you can't!

You can't jump start a car through the cigarette lighter. That's just silly. The product in the posted link is set up to charge your battery using another car as the charger. It is simply a battery isolation circuit that delivers about 6 amps charge rate. If your battery is completely flat, it's going to take 2 to 3 hours to "Jump Start" your car. Most cars today are fused between 10 and 15 amps on the cig circuit.

I agree with mkirsch1, the cigarette lighter is a bad way to go. It's bulky and probably will fail. It is not a question of whether the cig lighter can take the current, it's one of well thought construction and reliability. You don't want to ruin a perfectly good flying day with a cheap charger set-up. Use the bannana plugs and buy a pair of bannana plug jacks at Radio Shack for the charger end. They are not too pricey and very reliable.

Good luck!
Mark
Dec 31, 2003, 12:20 AM
Balsa to the Wall
What Mark said

Chuck
Dec 31, 2003, 01:00 AM
I bought two of the Cosel power supplies, and neither were set at 13.8V, and neither were at the same voltage.

I would be sure and use a digital voltmeter to double check your voltage before plugging anything in.

WJ
Dec 31, 2003, 11:56 AM
KG7TTQ - Las Vegas

One last picture on Bannana Plugs...

Here's my version of the Radio Shack box and bits (picture).
Also, mine too needed adjustment. It came in at 14.7v so I adjusted it to 13.8.

Mark
Dec 31, 2003, 01:27 PM
Yes verify the outgoing voltage, also
be careful when adjusting the supply, the screw is fragile. I had a problem when I was a bit to aggressive with mine.
Dec 31, 2003, 01:49 PM
Thread OP
How do I test the voltage with what meter and where do I place the leads?
Dec 31, 2003, 03:19 PM

Re: One last picture on Bannana Plugs...

Quote:
Originally posted by mark_q
Here's my version of the Radio Shack box and bits (picture).

Mark
Mark,

I like your installation. You can attach a second charger and operate simultaneously. How did you attach the RS plastic cover to the power supply?

Ed

Quick Reply