Feb 17, 2013, 02:10 AM
WingsTiresTitsGunaGiveYaT ruble
Thread OP
Discussion

reducing prop load by trimming closer to the hub???

I am pretty sure that the large cowling (relative to prop diameter) on one of my planes (a 3D Extra) is doing a good job of blocking usable thrust. I have data to support this from the same motor/prop/battery used before in another one of my airframes (pattern type) with a much more streamlined nose with less frontal area.
the 10x4 xoar made 40 oz of thrust in the extra and 48 in the pattern plane. I got 48-50 with a 11x4 xoar on the extra but with more amps than I want. seems that trimming the 11x4 or maybe even a 12x4 out to about 30-40% from the hub would theoretically do the trick but I'm not sure how to first attempt it. remove from LE, TE or both? any thoughts or experience?
I usually wouldnt bother with such a thing but getting a 31oz,41" full fues, balsa 3d plane to be light with decent power involves splitting hairs. I have the weight where it needs to be now I just need to get the static thrust up to atleast 50 without being too hard on the electronics.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 17, 2013, 02:39 AM
Oh dear. If you do this, please stay out of the plane of rotation of the prop and wear eye protection in any case (for ricochets).

I'd just select a prop size that gives desired performance and if it is too much for the electronics, upgrade them as necessary.

Quick Reply