Ralph,

What is the plan for the covering?

Cloth or plastic?

Brian
to remove ads between posts
Sep 22, 2013, 02:47 PM
DavidsPlanes
Nice wing panel Ralph.

With 3/32" sheeting they'll be as stout as a rhinoceros!

David
Sep 22, 2013, 09:31 PM
R_G
R_G
UFO Driver
Thread OP
Thanks very much guys!

Ralph
Sep 22, 2013, 09:34 PM
R_G
R_G
UFO Driver
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeFlyer
Ralph,

What is the plan for the covering?

Cloth or plastic?

Brian
Brian,

This one will be film covered. Either Ultracote or maybe Coverite 21st Century Film, I haven't decided yet.

Ralph.
Sep 25, 2013, 02:59 AM
Ralph,

Looks like you're getting close to starting the fuse. Are you going to make any mods to it?

I was messing around with my Kaos Plans and melded it with a Talon. Here's what it looks like so far.

It would have more side area for better knife edge maneuvers. I think it will need about 6 sq inches more rudder area for KE and maybe a longer nose to look more like a Talon.

Bryan
Sep 25, 2013, 07:38 PM
R_G
R_G
UFO Driver
Thread OP
That looks really cool Bryan! The turtle deck should do wonders for knife edge flight! Sort of reminds me of a SIG Kougar too!

I'm not planning on any mods to the fuse. Just going to keep it simple and stay with the original classic design.

Ralph
Sep 26, 2013, 01:07 AM
Ralph,

Yea! Reminded me of Sig Kouger as well. Maybe a little like the Miss Norway (love the plane, hate the name) also.

It would fly way better than a Kouger as there would not be any washout in the wing and the the Rudder and elevator are correctly positioned for Classic pattern flying.

I added a Dirty Birdy sub fin to my Kaos as I could not get it to knife edge at all with out the subfin and a little extra rudder. This of course applied to my bird and may not apply to all Kaos.

Just my 2 cents as now is the time to plan and arrange for any tweaks to make it fly as many of the Classic maneuvers as possible.

Really enjoying your build thread by the way. Great Job!

Regards,

Bryan
Sep 26, 2013, 12:43 PM
Reminded me of a Sig Comet.

Jim
Latest blog entry: MAAC Wings
Sep 28, 2013, 11:33 AM
R_G
R_G
UFO Driver
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet_Flyer
I hate it when the wood in a kit is bad.

Mike
Here's a photo of the kit wood so far that I won't be using because it's soooo bad!

I haven't taken a close look at the fuselage wood yet. I'm almost afraid to! If it's as bad as the rest of this stuff then the purchase of this kit will have been pretty much pointless!

Ralph
Sep 28, 2013, 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_G
Here's a photo of the kit wood so far that I won't be using because it's soooo bad!

I haven't taken a close look at the fuselage wood yet. I'm almost afraid to! If it's as bad as the rest of this stuff then the purchase of this kit will have been pretty much pointless!

Ralph
Warped, or hard?

Kinda looks like White Maple in the photo.........................

Doug
Sep 28, 2013, 07:12 PM
R_G
R_G
UFO Driver
Thread OP
Hard & heavy!

Not quite as hard as maple, but close!

Ralph
Sep 28, 2013, 10:27 PM
Gee at least it's hard. The most of the balsa i find in the shops are very soft and long grained.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_G
Hard & heavy!

Not quite as hard as maple, but close!

Ralph
Latest blog entry: MAAC Wings
Sep 29, 2013, 02:29 AM
Ralph,

I was thinking that maybe you could use a jig saw to cutout sections in the center of each of those pieces to lighten them up. At least that way you get to use the wood in the kit.

Bryan
Sep 29, 2013, 08:17 PM
R_G
R_G
UFO Driver
Thread OP
Bryan,

I guess that's a possibility, a lot of extra work though. I'll eventually find a use for some of this wood on a future project. It won't go to waste.

Ralph
Last edited by R_G; Sep 29, 2013 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Typo
Sep 29, 2013, 08:35 PM
R_G
R_G
UFO Driver
Thread OP
Not much progress this weekend.

Got the left panel turned over in the jig and added a few trailing edge doublers where the aileron hinges will go.

Ralph

Quick Reply