Mar 09, 2013, 10:29 PM
Vietnam Veteran, Army
Just found this thread today. This is real nostalgia for me, having owned a Super Kaos once upon a time. Lost it to interference about 7 years ago after 20 years of ownership. Great airplane.

Couldn't locate another Super Kaos kit, so I built a Bluejay models Killer Chaos a few years ago. It's an awesome flying airplane.

I'm going to enjoy following this build. Many thanks for posting it!

KillerChaos
to remove ads between posts
Mar 10, 2013, 07:39 PM
R_G
R_G
UFO Driver
Thread OP
I'm glad you're enjoying the build KillerChaos!

Added the stab center section trailing edge filler piece this weekend. This is the first piece of wood from the kit that I've used! Woo Hoo!

After taking these photos I realized I had messed up! The trailing edge of the filler piece was supposed to follow the taper of the elevators. For some reason, the entire time I was working on this piece I was thinking that it was meant to be squared off. Oh well, it is what it is! I guess I need to pay more attention to the plans in the future!

Ralph
Mar 10, 2013, 07:55 PM
Ralph,

So it should be V shaped on the trailing edge? Seems like that would be an easy fix.

Mike
Mar 10, 2013, 08:51 PM
R_G
R_G
UFO Driver
Thread OP
Yes Mike, it should be a slight "V". It would only be about a 1/16" deep, so it would be an easy enough fix. Other than the fact that I was dumb enough to make the mistake in the first place the flat trailing edge really doesn't bother me. I'll probably just let it go and move on to the fin & rudder. I guess I'm not the purest that I thought I was!

Ralph
Mar 10, 2013, 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_G
Yes Mike, it should be a slight "V". It would only be about a 1/16" deep, so it would be an easy enough fix. Other than the fact that I was dumb enough to make the mistake in the first place the flat trailing edge really doesn't bother me. I'll probably just let it go and move on to the fin & rudder. I guess I'm not the purest that I thought I was!

Ralph
Ralph,

I know, sometimes you’ve got to draw a line. In your case super excellent is good enough!!

Mike
Mar 11, 2013, 08:32 AM
KC4JAJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_G

Ralph
OMG! Tell me ain't so.
Mar 11, 2013, 11:13 AM
R_G
R_G
UFO Driver
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet_flyer
ralph,

i know, sometimes you’ve got to draw a line. In your case super excellent is good enough!!

Mike
Mar 11, 2013, 11:14 AM
R_G
R_G
UFO Driver
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReelDoc
OMG! Tell me ain't so.
Mar 23, 2013, 07:39 PM
R_G
R_G
UFO Driver
Thread OP
I've been working on the fin and rudder. Actually used a few more pieces of wood from the kit

The wood used for the lower part of the rudder was probably the softest piece in the entire kit. Considering that the control horn mounts in this area and with the grain running horizontally, this is not a good place for soft wood. I should have replaced it with a stiffer piece but I want to use as much of the kit wood as possible. After I sanded the rudder to a taper this lower piece flexed very easily. Even with the hardwood trailing edge.

So, to stiffen it up a bit I made a band saw cut perpendicular to the grain and glued in a piece of 1/64" plywood. This plywood piece also passes through the area where the pine block for the control horn gets glued in place, so it's all connected. This helped quite a bit, but it's still a little soft. I might add another piece of plywood or maybe apply a layer of 3/4 oz. glass cloth to stiffen it a little more.

Ralph
Mar 23, 2013, 07:43 PM
R_G
R_G
UFO Driver
Thread OP
Tail feathers are basically done!

Ralph
Aug 25, 2013, 01:10 AM
CPA# 39
Ralph,

Did you shelve this project?

Brian
Aug 25, 2013, 10:34 AM
R_G
R_G
UFO Driver
Thread OP
Not really Brian. I've just been flying instead of building. I'm looking forward to getting back to this build very soon.

Ralph
Sep 14, 2013, 12:42 PM
R_G
R_G
UFO Driver
Thread OP
Well, I've managed a little progress between flying sessions!

The wing ribs in this kit are a little rough. Looks like they've been handled quite a bit and may even have gotten wet at some point. Several of them have what look like water stains and are slightly bowed, but they are all useable.

Due to the rough grass field I fly from I've gotten into the habit of doubling up the ribs that will support the landing gear. The ribs are all 3/32" sheet and I used 1/16" sheet for the doublers which were glued using Z-Poxy Finishing Resin.

The 1/16" plywood reinforcements in the kit were glued in place with West System G-Flex epoxy. I'm really starting to like the G-Flex. It has a 75 minute working time and is very strong.

The big holes in the four inner ribs are for the 1/2" rocket body tubes that I'll be using to run the aileron servo cables through.

The use of two aileron servos will be the only area where I stray from the original design. Everything else will be pretty much as per plans, even the hardwood motor mounts.

Ralph
Sep 14, 2013, 12:57 PM
R_G
R_G
UFO Driver
Thread OP
I need to build a wing jig for this project. This will be the first time I've ever used a jig to build a wing and I'm looking forward to it!

For the uprights I used some 3/4" x 1 1/2" PVC Trim Board that was left over from a previous project. A few holes and a couple 1/4-20 carriage bolts and wing nuts and they were done.

For the rods, a while back I picked up a couple of 1/4" carbon pushrods at a swap shop, but those thing are not very straight. So I splurged and bought a couple Easton Aluminum/Carbon arrow shafts. These things are seriously straight! They are slightly larger than 1/4", so I had to open up the holes in the ribs just a little to accommodate them

That's it for today.....time to go flyin'!

Ralph
Sep 14, 2013, 02:39 PM
Ralph,

Glad to see you back on the build.

Mike

Quick Reply