Sep 19, 2019, 07:24 PM
KC4JAJ
They are available from Tower here, made by Midwest.
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...01p?I=MIDR0587

Jim
to remove ads between posts
Sep 19, 2019, 09:27 PM
Hi Jim, I have both the Midwest pins and the Graupner pins. The Graupner pins are sharper and the heads do not pull off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Johns
They are available from Tower here, made by Midwest.
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...01p?I=MIDR0587

Jim
Latest blog entry: MAAC Wings
Sep 28, 2019, 01:57 PM
R_G
R_G
UFO Driver
Thread OP
Working on installing about a mile and a half of tri-stock & blocking!

Pushing pins into the basswood like fuselage sides is not a lot of fun!

Ralph
Sep 28, 2019, 06:27 PM
p
Oct 06, 2019, 01:20 PM
R_G
R_G
UFO Driver
Thread OP
Flying sessions have been cutting into my building time, but things are still moving forward, albeit slowly!
I managed to get a few more pieces of tri-stock installed this morning.

Ralph
Oct 07, 2019, 10:22 AM
KC4JAJ
Here's the gorgeous plans-built Super Kaos I'll be picking up from a very good friend and outstanding builder this weekend. It's just one of those airplanes that I personally have always loved the looks of and want to have in my stable.

Jim
Oct 07, 2019, 10:29 AM
DavidsPlanes
Nice looking SK. Modified tail feathers it appears.

Ralph, I know yours is going to look outstanding in the not so distant future.

David
Oct 07, 2019, 02:51 PM
Fantastic looking Kaos Jim, what other details do you have for the plane, have you stuck to the plans as produced or have you made any changes along the way? Looks like a flawless paint job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Johns
Here's the gorgeous plans-built Super Kaos I'll be picking up from a very good friend and outstanding builder this weekend. It's just one of those airplanes that I personally have always loved the looks of and want to have in my stable.

Jim
Oct 08, 2019, 10:30 AM
KC4JAJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxilia
Nice looking SK. Modified tail feathers it appears.
David
David - Nope, built per plans, except for getting rid of the beam engine mounts. See tail close-up in the photo below. Maybe it's the blue leading edge on the vertical fin that makes it look modified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reptilemarine
Fantastic looking Kaos Jim, what other details do you have for the plane, have you stuck to the plans as produced or have you made any changes along the way? Looks like a flawless paint job!
Thanks, reptilemarine. As I said, it's not mine yet. My friend built it and it will be moving to my hanger this coming weekend. I only wish I could build that well. It weighs 7# with fixed gear and is powered by an OS 61FX which he's keeping. However, I do have SEVERAL suitable OS 61s in my inventory, including a couple of 61FXs. The wing is the one in the photo with the blue checkerboard on the bottom. Paint job - Jet White, Metallic Blue and Metallic Red Monokote! The other plane in the photo is his all balsa plans-built Dirty Birdy with an OS 65AX. My friend is a retired machinist, so he's very familiar with precision building.

Jim
Oct 08, 2019, 12:29 PM
Looks fantastic Jim, I have a lot of admiration for anyone who can finish a model that well in monokote, I have got my self in a mess with film a number of times when trying more detailed schemes.

Have you formulated any covering scheme plans as of yet Ralph?
Last edited by reptilemarine; Oct 08, 2019 at 01:34 PM.
Oct 08, 2019, 02:10 PM
DavidsPlanes
You're right John, the tail feathers look original in this rear shot of the model.

Enjoy her!

David
Oct 08, 2019, 04:30 PM
Very nice kaos Jim!
Oct 10, 2019, 04:42 PM
I just stumbled across this thread and read through the whole thing. I'm delighted with the detailed photos and attention to detail. This is shaping up to be a really nice Kaos. But I'm at a loss to figure out why it's taken 6 years to build. A Kaos should require no more than 5 years tops. I started a Duelist in 2008 that is almost to the covering stage but that's a twin so 10-12 years would be required I should think. I use the same acupuncture technique to subdue my prey as well. Keep the great build pics coming. ;-)
Oct 10, 2019, 09:04 PM
DavidsPlanes
On that note, I couldn't help myself and had to dig up Ralph's OP quote:

After dealing with the complexity of my UFO Build I feel the need to build something simple. By simple I mean your basic 4-channel airplane with no paint, no pipe and no retracts.

A simple classic that should go together relatively quickly i.e....less than three years!

Build on Ralph!

David

P.S. I think my Dirty Birdy is taking about the same amount of NOT time...
Oct 13, 2019, 09:59 AM
R_G
R_G
UFO Driver
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptilemarine
Have you formulated any covering scheme plans as of yet Ralph?
My original plan was to go with Joe's original all red with white trim scheme, but lately I've been leaning toward a simplified version of the scheme I used on my UFO. Whichever way I go I'll be using UltraCote for the covering.

Ralph

Quick Reply