This thread is privately moderated by PittSpecial, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 16, 2013, 09:53 AM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Data

Park Zone Spitfire Mk IX with PZ 480 (960Kv) & GWS 4-Blade Results

Hello,

Just posted test results of my setup using the light and smaller Park Zone 480 (960Kv) brushless motor while swinging the GWS (Grand Wing Servo) 4-Blade 10 X 8 X 4 propeller, spinner and using the PZ T-28 Prop adapter.

I do know that the model would fly just great if I would place the Park Zone 2-Blade 9.5 X 7.5 propeller as this is what comes with the T-28 and Spitfire Mk IX inclusive, however, again just experimenting here with "a" 4-Blade propeller to make things a little more scale.

First, for finding out how I did this modification then, go to:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1829511

FLIGHT SUMMARY:

I had a few issues with the Left servoless E-Flite Electric Retract as it has begun to cycle on its own. It is an intermittent issue and so, continuing to experiment with other propellers later in the day, I just placed the main gear down and disconnected the Retracts from the Receiver.

I flew my Spitfire for six (6) total flights with great success and it flew Scale (Slow) but, very stable and true. All maneuvers were possible including loops and fantastic Slow Scale rolls.

The best for me was the landings as the model does not exhibit any tendency to NOSE OVER at all as it NO LONGER attains all that weight from the Larger PZ 15 (~6oz) and the STOCK Spinner Nut (slightly over 2oz.). Best of all the approaches as super SLOW (True Park Flyer) and control is the best with the thrust produced with the GWS 4-Blade.

On Friday, visited my other pals that fly at a former NAVY marching band area behind the NAVY Exchange and near Orlando International Airport I witnessed the Left wheel hub get busted as a result of landing from this rough Asphalt surface. The Asphalt has just too many cracks and it seems like even the smoothest landing you have a possibility to nose over (Tail Dragger) and I could not believe mine did not Nose over considering the busted Left Wheel hub. When I picked up the model the "Tire / Tyre" looped out from the hub !!!

Here are a few pictures:

Oh, this is my future Experimentation Propeller as seen from my Friend's (Arturo) Heavily Modified Park Zone P-47 Thunderbolt into a razor back and using the DURAFLY 4-Blade Propeller!

Okay, enough of the future plans and here is the VIDEO showing my Spitfire with the smaller / lighter PZ 480 & GWS 4-Blade propeller:

Park zone Spitfire Mk IX with Park Zone 480 and GWS 4-Blade 10 X 8 X 4 (2 min 18 sec)

================================================== ==============================================

Additional testing was using 3-blade propellers such as the APC "SPORT" 3-Blade 9 X 6 X 3 and the Master Airscrew 10 X 7 X 3 and of course a new Spinner and Propeller Adapter was in order so, off I went to the local Hobby Shop and got all the needed parts.

Master Airscrew 3-Blade (10 X 7 X 3)

Oh yes, in the subsequent testing for the 3-Blade propellers, I just activated the E-Flite Servoless Electric Retracts for Down Main Gear and then, disconnected them from the Receiver for carefree flying and landings!

Last edited by PittSpecial; Feb 16, 2013 at 11:24 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 03, 2013, 07:12 AM
You Know What I Mean

Great post, PittSpecial.
Excellent photos. I'll check the link you posted for details.
What is this setup like when its windy?
Has the 960KV motor got the goods to perform into the wind?
Im amazed that motor lifts the SPitfire with a 220mAh Lipo.
It's a cool concept, though. Zero nose-overs sounds good

Quick Reply