Dual tail slider assembly ( dual push or arm ) - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Feb 16, 2013, 12:31 AM
Mini-Review

Dual tail slider assembly ( dual push or arm )

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-Tail-R...item416e048938

I got this assembly off ebay , ..... gogo.rc

Anyhow , its a really trick looking dual tail slider assembly I must tell you ..

Pictures 1 through 3 show the first problem ( numbered ) , and picture 4 shows the fix ..

What was happening was the slider was making contact with the control arm ..

Picture 5 shows the results of the next problem , more contact with the control arm on full left rudder ... Picture 7 shows the fix , get out your motor tool and start grinding until there is clearance ..

The next problem was the tail slider bearing , backing out of the tail slider ..
Picture 6 shows the fix , I used a flat head screw driver to punch in some pinch points [ pinch the bearing in place ] , I did this as thread locker did not work .

So there you have it A lot of work ( for me ) for choosing this dual tail slider assembly .. Was not a bolt on solution , required a fair amount of fitting and modding to get it to work correctly .

Any questions ? Feel free to ask ...
Last edited by old4570; Feb 16, 2013 at 12:41 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 16, 2013, 01:09 AM
banging head on wall
Let Me know how it works GoGo is one of my main go two's for allot of parts this was the only fail out of to many parts to remember. I worked with it for a while and just set it aside if it works out for you I will take the time and fiddle with mine.
Feb 17, 2013, 11:51 PM
Its seriously warm ATM , a little more clearance is needed , but hopefully will work well .
Just want to wait for the weather to cool a little , and then get it working just right ..

A good idea , but !
Feb 18, 2013, 02:00 AM
My other addiction!
You know this is an old design, right? This is the tail pitch control that was on the T-Rex 450X and 450XL. They went to the current design with the 450SE and 450SE V2.
Feb 18, 2013, 04:14 AM

Hmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalheli
You know this is an old design, right? This is the tail pitch control that was on the T-Rex 450X and 450XL. They went to the current design with the 450SE and 450SE V2.
old design , wonder why they didnt bother getting it right ?

Maybe they did by changing to the newer version , I was going to buy the newer version , and still might ..

This is simply about trying something to see if its any good ...
Feb 19, 2013, 12:43 AM
My other addiction!
The Align one was plastic and worked well. I'm thinking it was a decision based on the higher head speeds with the SE V2 and later. The XL and SA target head speed was in the neighborhood of 2000 to 2400 RPM. When they started bumping that up to 2600 to 3000 RPM the tail ratio was too high, and tails were flying apart. That's when they released the "NEW" tail drive gears, which lowered the gear ratio to slow down the tail rotor speed. I have a couple of those older pitch control mechanisms, if you want I can post a couple of pictures. (as a side note, those of us building scale with the 450 and 500 are trying to slow down the headspeed so it more closely resembles scale speed, but there is a limit as to how low we can go because with the newer tail, the tail authority goes right out the window. Every once in a while you can find one of the old gearing systems which allow the headspeed to be lowered without losing tail authority.)
Feb 19, 2013, 04:06 PM
Back Yard Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by old4570
Maybe they did by changing to the newer version , I was going to buy the newer version , and still might ..
Does the newer version resemble this?

Still running this one on an old MX450. Slop free, bind free and smooth as butter. I donít fly it much anymore, but keeping the forks lubricated and free of dirt/grime is the key to longevity.

I purchased this one from RC-TEK about 5 years agoÖ
Feb 19, 2013, 10:03 PM
Back Yard Flyer
Looks good! Should make for a decent tail.
Feb 20, 2013, 09:46 PM
LearningFast
I just fitted a Blade 400 tail pitch slider assembly like this to a 450 clone build. I little work, but all slop is gone. I don't like the ball slider as there tends to be a little slop. Thanks for the post old4570! I was thinking of getting this to try. I think I will wait as the Blade unit is working well and will upgrade to a really good unit when needed. Oh, I run a DDVP tail with a 1800kv motor. So, even at my 2600 head speed, I have loads of tail authority. I will eventually increase the head speed and even then, I should still be good.
Feb 20, 2013, 09:51 PM
LearningFast
Oh, this is the one I want next! Posted by PcChip!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pP18IeGsm4
Feb 20, 2013, 10:23 PM
banging head on wall
Ken59 I have that one no problems at all very smooth my only concern was it has open bearings on the side plates but no dirt or grime build up so far.
Feb 20, 2013, 10:51 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
Delete...
Last edited by Dejavu*Xion; Feb 21, 2013 at 10:23 AM.
Feb 21, 2013, 05:14 PM

hmmmm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/450-PRO-Meta...item27cdb00263 Not sure if you can fit this to a belt tail ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Belt-Drive-4...item3f1fe11392 But here is a belt version

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-ALIGN-T-...item257988d630 Drive shaft version
Feb 21, 2013, 10:53 PM
LearningFast
Look at them all! Would love to have them all! It will have to wait a couple of months. I have tried the cheap clone tails and the metal is just too soft. Just a little bit heavy tightening the screws and you strip them. I even went to a slightly larger screw with a nut and locktite just to be sure.

Quick Reply