Dec 29, 2003, 10:40 AM
Recruiter - 60 Amp Club
Thread OP

Rob Honeycutt's 35% Extra 300

I witnessed some history this weekend . My friend Rob Honeycutt brought his 35% Extra 300 to the (IRKS) Melborne, FL E-Fly and after 2 days of slobbering over it and watching it fly ....my mouth is still hanging open .
This airplane is just so unbelievably beautiful that it would be right at home in a museum of modern art !! Just immaculate and perfect down to the tiniest detail.
Gary Wright flew it 3 times, very gently the first flight, then a little more agressively each of the following flights. What a "presence" it has in the air.......and when Gary Wright says "it doesn't need any more power ....it doesn't need any more anything" .....you know it is really in a very special category .
My hat is off to Rob for this tremendous accomplishment.
Here is a shot of the top ...... bottom shown in the next post.
WOW, WOW, WOW !!!!
Ed
Last edited by Ed Lyerly; Dec 29, 2003 at 02:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 29, 2003, 10:41 AM
Recruiter - 60 Amp Club
Thread OP
Here is the bottom view ..... unbelievable quality and detail !
Ed
Dec 29, 2003, 11:12 AM
WOW is RIGHT ED!!! Beautiful Plane!, that's what I like to see!
What Motor and how many batteries? (it is electric I hope?) Thanks, Fast Fly
Dec 29, 2003, 11:28 AM
Recruiter - 60 Amp Club
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally posted by Fast Fly
WOW is RIGHT ED!!! Beautiful Plane!, that's what I like to see!
What Motor and how many batteries? (it is electric I hope?) Thanks, Fast Fly
Maybe Rob will post the details. It has (2) C50 motors, each geared 6.7:1 feeding a belt drive at 1.1:1 and turning a custom made 30x18 prop.
Ed
Dec 29, 2003, 11:48 AM
Truly amazing plane! We need details RTF weight, batteries used, and amp draw. Did you shoot any video?

More pictures of the inside and video please.
Dec 29, 2003, 11:48 AM
Thanks Ed! My Hat's really off to Rob for the engineering of a Plane this large to Electric! This is GREAT! This is really cutting edge stuff, he's leading the way! Excellent job Rob! I Appreciate the Quality of your workmanship!!! Fast Fly
Dec 29, 2003, 12:34 PM
Ed:

Can you post some specs about this impressive plane?
It's hard to believe that wonderful trim schema could be done.

It's great!!

JL
Dec 29, 2003, 02:25 PM
I got some pretty good video but need to do some editing...

I was planning to do an intro video where I filmed Rob showing the motor / belt system / temp monitors / UBECs / radio......this one came out pretty good....it shows the motor system with pretty good details explained by Rob....

Then I have film showing when the motor was tacked on the ground and static thrust readings were attempted.

Then.......I have video showing two of the three flights made this past weekend.
Dec 29, 2003, 04:00 PM
Hey, I wanna fly too!
Quote:
Originally posted by fbw4
More pictures of the inside and video please.
Yes, quite an impressive plane indeed. It was certainly the icing on the cake to an otherwise great event. More pictures can be found in the Event Thread .

Terry

Plus one more pic of the coolest twin you'll ever find in a 35% GS plane, a pair or Hacker C50s:
Dec 29, 2003, 04:44 PM
Rob
you've done an outstanding job in both quality and performance. Now that you've broken the 4000 watt barrier, we need to get you out to MWE so the West Coasters can marvel at your plane. Then it can go to the Smithsonian -- Orville, Wilbur and Rob.

-- Kyle
Dec 29, 2003, 06:28 PM
Wahooooooo !!!
Unbelievable !

How does he carry it to the field ?

Truly amazing work !!!!
Dec 29, 2003, 08:00 PM
I want to know more about the prop.
No doubt it's a Prince prop, I can see that printed on it.
Last time I checked, a prop near that size in carbon was priced at about $245.

Add to that, it being custom.
How much did that prop set you back Rob? +- $500

Quite an impressive project.

Bill
Dec 29, 2003, 08:33 PM
Kyle, Now that you've seen this, will your 27% ever be enough?
I think I see a project in your future (I know you want one!) Fast Fly
Dec 29, 2003, 08:37 PM
Extra 330L
Ed, frank, Fast Fly, Bill, Kyle, terry, patrick, Jeff, JL,

thanks for the compliments on the plane! It has certainly been an eventful project and I am glad it had a fantastic ending!

Thanks also to Ty Darby and Mike Huizinger for helping me complete this project. I'm not known for my patience, and Ty really helped me do a good job on this one. Mike had the know how on the belt drive system.

Gary Wright was nice enough to demonstrate some of it's abilities this weekend down in Melbourne, Florida at the IRK's E-Fly In.

We all had a great time and seems like most everything folks brought went home in one piece...

The plane was a 6 month project which at times was pretty intense. It will be a pretty detailed article in April's Quiet Flyer and will go over the particulars about the drive system and the conversion... In the next couple of days quiet flyer is posting some video on their site of Gary flying the plane.

Meanwhile, here are some of the specs:

composite ARF 2.6 extra, custom paint job

two hacker C50 Acro's ~ 15 wind x 6.7 gear...

Custom belt drive 1.1:1,

Custom UBEC set up- thanks again Jeff Meyers

Prince Aircraft Props, three pitches on hand.. 30 x 18, 20, 21 .. Nice and light and are maple with carbon fiber laminated.

Current max amp draw is around 70 amps and two 10S4P packs, one to each motor.

thrust has not been accurately measured yet, however it appears to hover fine at half throttle. I would say it is close to 50 pounds of thrust but this is just a guesstimate.

the plane is 33 pounds ready to fly. Close to the equivelant gas version. It's funny, but it does not fly heavy at all. It slows down very nice for landings.

CG is set on the spar with only two clicks of up elevator, unless gary changed it this past weekend.

gary was very courteous about flying the plane and taking good care of it, even though he got some ribbing for hovering it at such a high altitude. He continues to demonstrate how good of a pilot he really is.

Thanks Again to the many compliments everyone has made..

Rob
Last edited by Rob Honeycutt; Dec 29, 2003 at 08:54 PM.
Dec 29, 2003, 09:20 PM
Custom paint job, custom motor mounts/belt drive, custom props AND he even has custom made Thunder Power packs built in a different configuration than most

Im glad Charlie and many others got to see it fly this weekend! Will we all see a video soon?

Jason

Quick Reply