Apr 07, 2018, 04:05 AM
So after writing about the field force from trees, I went out and in the tricky evening light (my excuse) put my Pilatus Porter up a tree. Fortunately I happen to have a very long length of aluminium tubing which easily rectified the problem with no damage.

The Porter does need a bit more trimming as handling is tricky at times. A U/C still to be fitted too though more for looks than practical. Usually a hand launch though if I bother to walk an extra 100 metres there is a runway (cricket pitch) available.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 07, 2018, 09:52 AM
I'm going to fly the UMX Radian and teach myself. I'll just buy another one if needed. I'll get there eventually.

And if all else fails, there's always stunt kites. LOL.
Apr 07, 2018, 10:56 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
That'll work. Most of us are pretty careful to get the CG to 31 or 32mm. And if the plane starts bobbing up and down, we call porpoising, just run your elevator trim lower and lower until it stops.
Apr 18, 2018, 03:06 PM
Hey guys total newbie here. I am looking into getting into rc flying. I have a friend with an Apprentice and my son just got an E-flite commander for his first plane! Despite not really being a trainer he has managed a few flights without any major damage other than tweaking the landing gear a little. I am thinking I would like something a little smaller so I can fly close to home. I am concerned about how they handle the wind though compared to the bigger planes. I have been looking at the E-flite UMX J3 cub. Would this be a reasonable trainer? I like the fact that it is a little bigger and has a brushless motor compared to the champ and the sport cub s. I wish it had the safe feature though. I really want to get a warbird like the wildcat but I think that may be a few planes away.
Apr 21, 2018, 02:13 PM
I review RC Products
Thread OP
The UMX Timber is not a bad way to go if you can find one. If you have time on a sim, the Wildcat with SAFE might be ok too. It really depends on your natural ability. Some have to work harder than others to fly more advanced planes, but it can be done.

GB
Last edited by GBLynden; May 10, 2018 at 02:38 PM.
Apr 21, 2018, 05:32 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyeller
I have been looking at the E-flite UMX J3 cub. Would this be a reasonable trainer? I like the fact that it is a little bigger and has a brushless motor compared to the champ and the sport cub s. I wish it had the safe feature though. I really want to get a warbird like the wildcat but I think that may be a few planes away.
The new Champ with SAFE + ( SAFE with GPS ) has a little bit bigger wingspan than the E-flite UMX J3 Cub , and also has a brushless motor . If you get it and use the GPS ( you don't have to ) , be sure you know how to turn the GPS off while flying ..... or the plane may fly off to some distant land .

Here is the BNF if you already have a DSMX transmitter :
https://www.horizonhobby.com/champ-s-bnf-hbz5480
It is also available RTF .
May 01, 2018, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebbqguy
I like the Radian 2.0, but at the local fields it very windy most of the time.
My localy hobby store and horizon said that radian 2.0 could handle wind no problem... is this not true?
May 01, 2018, 02:36 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Probably the best sailplane for wind and also beginner friendly is the new Conscendo Advanced BNF which has SAFE. Outstanding wind performance. The 2m Radian is the better sailplane for the more advanced pilot who's priority is catching and riding thermals. And yes, it can also handle wind, but a bit more skill is involved.
May 01, 2018, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line
Probably the best sailplane for wind and also beginner friendly is the new Conscendo Advanced BNF which has SAFE. Outstanding wind performance. The 2m Radian is the better sailplane for the more advanced pilot who's priority is catching and riding thermals. And yes, it can also handle wind, but a bit more skill is involved.
thanks HL. Well too late now, I went for the big boy and it doesn't have AMX like the Radian XL, oh man... guess I better get really good before sloap soaring!
May 01, 2018, 03:31 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
You won't miss AS3X on that plane. It's most valuable on smaller UMX planes. No idea why they put it on the XL. Just use good judgment starting out. Fly only in good weather at roomy sites until you build expertise and confidence. Don't lose it in the sun, don't let it get too far away or too high. It's all common sense.
May 10, 2018, 02:41 PM
I review RC Products
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line
You won't miss AS3X on that plane. It's most valuable on smaller UMX planes. No idea why they put it on the XL. Just use good judgment starting out. Fly only in good weather at roomy sites until you build expertise and confidence. Don't lose it in the sun, don't let it get too far away or too high. It's all common sense.
This so much!
May 23, 2019, 06:50 PM
I review RC Products
Thread OP
Bump, let's help some new folks!
May 23, 2019, 08:51 PM
Beginners forum isnt nearly as busy these days
May 23, 2019, 11:05 PM
I review RC Products
Thread OP
It really isn't. It is pretty sad and I hope that doesn't reflect on our hobby's future.
May 24, 2019, 07:16 AM
The drone forums have likely siphoned off a good chunk of people but they will probably bring some new people to fixed wing as well.

Quick Reply