My recommendations for RC plane beginners - Page 5 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
May 02, 2013, 12:00 PM
Registered User
netarc's Avatar
I've been flying with Phoenix for a couple of days, and am now looking to purchase my first plane in the next week or so. I had settled on the Ares Gamma Pro, but would like to purchase from my local hobby shop and they don't have access to it.

They do have the Glasair Sportsman & Apprentice, but neither are available ARF and the RTF price is >$200 - was hoping to keep my first plane in the $150 range. Too, I'd like this first plane to be 4ch w/aileron control.

They do carry the Flyzone Sensei, however - on first blush, this plane's features look quite similar to the Gamma Pro and Sportsman, and I *think* it would bind&fly with my Spektrum dx5e controller. I didn't see any information in this thread on the Sensei; anyone have any thoughts of this plane for a n00b flyer?

fwiw, I am quite familiar with the concepts of flight - studied Aero engineering in school, and later pursueed a VFR pilots license.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
May 02, 2013, 12:06 PM
Registered User
The Sensei will not bind with the DX5e if it is the TX-R model. You would have to get the AnyLink adapter to bind it to your TX. The RX-R model will accept any RX so any Spektrum compatible RX would work. The Flyzone Sensei (Hobbico) is listed on Tower Hobbies site as retailing for $180.00 as an RX-R model.

The hardest parts for a full scale pilot to comprehend when attempting to fly an RC airplane is the lack of "feel" for the plane and the orientation when the plane is headed toward you..............the controls will seem to be "backwards." All the full scale pilots who I fly RC planes with have ALL said this.
Last edited by chucksolo69; May 02, 2013 at 12:11 PM.
May 02, 2013, 01:18 PM
Registered User
immelguy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by netarc
I've been flying with Phoenix for a couple of days, and am now looking to purchase my first plane in the next week or so. I had settled on the Ares Gamma Pro, but would like to purchase from my local hobby shop and they don't have access to it.

They do have the Glasair Sportsman & Apprentice, but neither are available ARF and the RTF price is >$200 - was hoping to keep my first plane in the $150 range. Too, I'd like this first plane to be 4ch w/aileron control.

They do carry the Flyzone Sensei, however - on first blush, this plane's features look quite similar to the Gamma Pro and Sportsman, and I *think* it would bind&fly with my Spektrum dx5e controller. I didn't see any information in this thread on the Sensei; anyone have any thoughts of this plane for a n00b flyer?

fwiw, I am quite familiar with the concepts of flight - studied Aero engineering in school, and later pursueed a VFR pilots license.
Welcome, I have this plane and think it's a real sleeper ... other planes much harder to fly seem to get all the hype. Try a quick browse on this forum/thread:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...highlight=dx5e

This plane is more gentle than the Glasair, Apprentice or the Super Cub... this thing is a real floater and lands easy (deadstik). Like ALL starters, they have a couple weaknesses (landing gear) you will work through. I like it so much, just rebuilt mine (new fuselage) because my faulty Tx caused a few crashes. If you've flown the Phoenix and have the orientation and control reversal down ... your ready. The size is an asset, easy to see and maintain orientation.

I bought the ARF but your questions will be better served in the other thread by the owners of this plane. g'luck
May 02, 2013, 11:38 PM
Registered User
netarc's Avatar
Great, thank you for the feedback ... I'll contact my local hobby store to find out whether they have or can order the RX-R version.
May 03, 2013, 09:35 AM
Registered User
If ou don't find it at the store, just order directly from Tower Hobbies using their coupon codes. Sometimes you can get really great deals using their coupon codes and free shipping offers. You can get coupon codes on their website: www.towerhobbies.com
May 09, 2013, 05:45 PM
I review RC Products
GBLynden's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowhunter402
I have had my champ now for two years and take it out when I can, living in Nebraska I can't count on getting a windless day when I have free time. I have flown the Champ in steady 10-15 mph winds and have even gotten it to cut into 20+ mph wind gusts by dropping and then increasing altitude at full speed. I love this little plane but I have stepped up to the sky surfer V-5 and after a few crashes I now have V-5.2 lol
I hear you on the wind. The Champ is an amazing plane but until you get used to flying it in the wind, it is tough to advance with in a windy place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69
If ou don't find it at the store, just order directly from Tower Hobbies using their coupon codes. Sometimes you can get really great deals using their coupon codes and free shipping offers. You can get coupon codes on their website: www.towerhobbies.com
I have stopped buying my planes at the LHS when I had him lie to me to about the "price drop"on the T-28 down to $99 when I called in looking for the full-sized plane. I save money and don't have to pay the tax..........for now
May 10, 2013, 10:09 AM
Registered User
Curiously, I buy MOST of my planes from an LHS because for HH stuff they are always cheaper than most any online retailer. I got my PZ Albatross for $134.88 out the door AFTER tax from AmpDraw Hobbies in Encinitas, CA. Can't beat that price with a stick!!
May 10, 2013, 11:31 AM
Registered User
The Sensi sounds like a nice trainer except for the spare parts issues.
May 10, 2013, 03:38 PM
Registered User
It is a nice trainer.............I fly with a couple of guys who have them. Yes, spare parts can be an issue. That's why Horizon Hobby is so great. Almost ANY LHS will have parts for their planes in stock.
May 11, 2013, 03:38 PM
Registered User
well i'm confused,i have the champ and been flying for a week and last night i upgraded it with GWS 5043 props with a UMP51 mustang motor,this morning i went out and saw no improvement with no wind.
May 11, 2013, 06:42 PM
Power Glide
PRNDL's Avatar
Ok I'm a real newbie but I have a plan. First this past winter I purchased a RealFlight sim to gain the experience of flying without crashing my 1st plane. At first I crashed everytime...now there isn't a plane in their lineup that I can't fly and land perfectly.

My choice for my 1st plane was the Ember 2. A little 3ch micro that has to be flown in No Wind conditions. Even with the sim experience I crashed it multiple times & broke the prop shaft twice. Now I fly it at altitude in my backyard high over the tree tops and land it into my hand.

The next plane I purchased is the Champ. I've just started flying it again in my backyard. Found as others have said it can be flown in some wind or maybe a better term should be slight breeze. Much more powerful than my Ember and probably is better suited for park flying.

The next few planes I have as I progress are the Mini Super Cub, the Super Cub and the DeHavilland Beaver . The Beaver is a 5 channel with flaps, nav lights and can be configured with floats for water take-off/landings or conventual landing gear. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=zoCelquclxI

The last plane in my hanger is the ParkZone Spitfire with retractable landing gear. Don't know if I'll progress enough to fly that one this year but had to get it now. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1479314
May 11, 2013, 08:08 PM
Drone offender FA377YHFNC
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNDL
Ok I'm a real newbie but I have a plan. First this past winter I purchased a RealFlight sim to gain the experience of flying without crashing my 1st plane.
Oops. You can't gain the experience of flying any other way than by flying. The sim just doesn't cut it and does nothing to avoid crashing your first plane.

You did that, yes, by applying some of the things you learned in the sim, but also with a lot of things the sim didn't teach you that you learned by actually flying. Your first flying experience was when the Ember took off. Until then you couldn't call yourself a pilot.

The fact that you did crash the Ember reveals the weakness in the present computer flight simulations. You did good!

And you did even better by buying a hanger queen to egg you on as you go through the inevitable frustrations you'll have along the way. You just need to look up on the shelf at the Spit and know that's what you're working toward. That's the mark of a winner!
May 13, 2013, 05:15 AM
I review RC Products
GBLynden's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69
Curiously, I buy MOST of my planes from an LHS because for HH stuff they are always cheaper than most any online retailer. I got my PZ Albatross for $134.88 out the door AFTER tax from AmpDraw Hobbies in Encinitas, CA. Can't beat that price with a stick!!
I am jelous Chuck! I would have more PZ planes if I had pricing like that closeby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vondetour
well i'm confused,i have the champ and been flying for a week and last night i upgraded it with GWS 5043 props with a UMP51 mustang motor,this morning i went out and saw no improvement with no wind.
I personally wouldn't recommend modding the Champ very much except cor colors and such. Different props and motor upgrades aren't going to do much especially with how inconsistent the P-51 motors are. Some have tons of power and others are weak. The airframe isn't really made for speed either.

GB
May 13, 2013, 09:41 AM
Power Glide
PRNDL's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
Oops. You can't gain the experience of flying any other way than by flying. The sim just doesn't cut it and does nothing to avoid crashing your first plane.

You did that, yes, by applying some of the things you learned in the sim, but also with a lot of things the sim didn't teach you that you learned by actually flying. Your first flying experience was when the Ember took off. Until then you couldn't call yourself a pilot.

The fact that you did crash the Ember reveals the weakness in the present computer flight simulations. You did good!

And you did even better by buying a hanger queen to egg you on as you go through the inevitable frustrations you'll have along the way. You just need to look up on the shelf at the Spit and know that's what you're working toward. That's the mark of a winner!
Thanks for the kind remarks.
May 13, 2013, 11:15 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
Oops. You can't gain the experience of flying any other way than by flying. The sim just doesn't cut it and does nothing to avoid crashing your first plane.

You did that, yes, by applying some of the things you learned in the sim, but also with a lot of things the sim didn't teach you that you learned by actually flying. Your first flying experience was when the Ember took off. Until then you couldn't call yourself a pilot.

The fact that you did crash the Ember reveals the weakness in the present computer flight simulations. You did good!

And you did even better by buying a hanger queen to egg you on as you go through the inevitable frustrations you'll have along the way. You just need to look up on the shelf at the Spit and know that's what you're working toward. That's the mark of a winner!
Extremely well said. This is the way to go.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question What is a good RC plane for a beginner? IFlyPlanez Electric Plane Talk 16 Dec 01, 2013 04:45 PM
Discussion What's a good beginner's Electronic RC Car and beginner's Gas RC car? tpearson4750 Car Talk 7 Mar 25, 2013 03:12 PM
Discussion recommendation on outdoor heli for beginner/intermediate Fadelight Micro Helis 52 Mar 16, 2013 03:06 AM
Discussion Recommendation for beginner plane? gatorkea FPV Aircraft 21 Jan 21, 2013 09:41 PM