Apr 30, 2017, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsolentMind3981
I'm still flying my Mentor in 2017 because i enjoy a few relaxing flights sometimes, like "i'm gonna fly today without thinking too much"

https://youtu.be/UOvHxqwrJog

I installed a Hobby Eagle A3 Gyro in mine and it handles the wind so nicely that i'm close put some FPV gear pretty soon.

Happy landings!

JM
That's a great plane
to remove ads between posts
May 06, 2017, 05:10 PM
I review RC Products
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsolentMind3981
I'm still flying my Mentor in 2017 because i enjoy a few relaxing flights sometimes, like "i'm gonna fly today without thinking too much"

https://youtu.be/UOvHxqwrJog

I installed a Hobby Eagle A3 Gyro in mine and it handles the wind so nicely that i'm close put some FPV gear pretty soon.

Happy landings!

JM
The more I fly and the better my skills get, the more I find myself not needing to prove anything to anyway with my flying skills. As such, I normally fly planes that are more relaxing over those that are more stressful.

GB
May 07, 2017, 07:32 AM
Drone offender FA377YHFNC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBLynden
The more I fly and the better my skills get, the more I find myself not needing to prove anything to anyway with my flying skills. As such, I normally fly planes that are more relaxing over those that are more stressful.

GB
I am a firm believer, because I've seen it so many times, that there are different motivations for flying and picking the wrong one is nothing but a ticket to another hobby and a sayonara to RC.

The A personality RC flier is cutting notches on the corners of his radio for each skill learned. He's driven to push the limits of his abilities. This works fine for awhile if that's fun, because there is so much to learn. But aptitude is finite, while things to learn are infinite. Quickly, they run out of aptitude and fun is replaced by frustration and empty wallets. If they can't be the best they'll take up underwater basket weaving and they sell all their stuff for great prices so we can benefit from their sometimes brief, no expenses spared, trip through our hobby.

Then there are those who love to fly. If you're flying a Radian, Vapor, Slow Stick or a Waco it's with a grin. Sure they learn some aerobatics, but that's not what flying is all about. Flying is all about the love of flying. It's all about appreciating a variety of aircraft, many of which are purchased from the type As leaving the hobby. People who love to fly typically are not distressed with "how to increase my skills in the hobby" because the answer to that is "fly!" and they love to fly. These guys will fly for the rest of their lives. They smile a lot.
May 07, 2017, 07:53 AM
"Some do, some don't"
GB and Rockin Robbin,

Well said gentlemen....
May 08, 2017, 10:38 AM
Suspenders Account
I got many of my planes from the "B Personality" types - the ones who buy planes above their pay grade, expect that everything will come easy to them, destroy it, get mad, and sell it to me wrecked so I can fix it and still wind up all - in for 60% of retail
May 09, 2017, 01:35 AM
I review RC Products
I totally agree Rockin Robbins and thank you Coastie!

Ben, I haven't met that B personality, but I am sure he is out there! Congrats of course on your great at deals!

I am certainly closer to the B personality than the A. The more I fly, the more I feel that way.

GB
May 09, 2017, 03:55 AM
No bounce, No play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128
..destroy it, get mad, and sell it..
Very similar. He bought ARF, crashed, bought another identical one, lost interest, I was the winner, half price plane. Woo Hoo!
May 09, 2017, 08:44 AM
Suspenders Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBLynden
I totally agree Rockin Robbins and thank you Coastie!

Ben, I haven't met that B personality, but I am sure he is out there! Congrats of course on your great at deals!

I am certainly closer to the B personality than the A. The more I fly, the more I feel that way.

GB
No you aren't.... I've seen your videos! I'm talking about the guy who wants to buy the EDF F-15 when he's never touched the transmitter sticks. The guy from the "It Goes 100mph" video..... When they get mad they either 1. hang it up, hang their head for a moment, and then come back ready to learn (which is great!) or they 2. get pissed off, blame everything within their line of sight, and sell it cheap to bums like me
May 09, 2017, 05:23 PM
That's a whole different thing than the type A flier, who's just checking off a list of skills and doesn't enjoy flying in itself vs the type B who enjoys flying just to fly and doesn't enjoy his 3D or his hotliner more than he enjoys his Slow Stick.

You're talking about guys who are happy with what they have, as opposed to guys who are never happy with what they have. They always are looking forward to the next plane, which will fix all the problems they're having until they buy it and are back on square 1: looking for another plane because they're not happy. These guys are also the type that will buy a plane that's inappropriate for their skill set.

Heck, half the secret to life is to be happy with what you have so you are not looking at planes to solve some unhappiness issue, but simply to add variety and discovery to an already happy life.
May 10, 2017, 01:25 AM
I review RC Products
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128
No you aren't.... I've seen your videos! I'm talking about the guy who wants to buy the EDF F-15 when he's never touched the transmitter sticks. The guy from the "It Goes 100mph" video..... When they get mad they either 1. hang it up, hang their head for a moment, and then come back ready to learn (which is great!) or they 2. get pissed off, blame everything within their line of sight, and sell it cheap to bums like me
lol the F-18 still flies and is in one piece. You should watch more of my flight videos from 2015 up until now to see where I am at these days. I concede that when I first got into RC that I only wanted to fly jets that did 100mph or more until I took my first flight with that F-18, crashing only seconds later. It is under powered and doesn't have a rudder, so landing it on a narrow runway is a challenge, even with years and 1,000's of flights under my belt.

However, these days I would rather fly a "lame prop plane" then an EDF jet. The flight times are longer and they are just more fun. I have enough stress in my daily life as a marketing professional, so my RC time should be the opposite.

In addition, I grew up just South of Abbotsford, BC, the home of the Abbotsford Airshow. The jets were always what I wanted to see and I hated the smaller slower planes. The Blue Angels and Thunderbirds were always there until recently thrilling me just a hundred or two feet over my head. The RC hobby made me appreciate those small ones though, and that is why I say I am B. I was never going to quit, but I will alway call out a company for having poor QC like HH has had with consistency lately.

GB
May 10, 2017, 01:29 AM
I review RC Products
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
That's a whole different thing than the type A flier, who's just checking off a list of skills and doesn't enjoy flying in itself vs the type B who enjoys flying just to fly and doesn't enjoy his 3D or his hotliner more than he enjoys his Slow Stick.

You're talking about guys who are happy with what they have, as opposed to guys who are never happy with what they have. They always are looking forward to the next plane, which will fix all the problems they're having until they buy it and are back on square 1: looking for another plane because they're not happy. These guys are also the type that will buy a plane that's inappropriate for their skill set.

Heck, half the secret to life is to be happy with what you have so you are not looking at planes to solve some unhappiness issue, but simply to add variety and discovery to an already happy life.
Exactly! I have never sold an RC Plane in my life for any reason lol
May 10, 2017, 08:27 AM
Suspenders Account
I gotcha. I was more speaking to the folks that, instead of persevering and trying to have fun in the hobby, get in over their head and destroy stuff, and then just bail instead of stick with it (and figure out how to actually fly an rc plane)

So notice to beginners

stick with AC on this list, and don't quit. If you do and your plane is cool sell it to me for 40% of what you paid.
May 11, 2017, 11:59 AM
Flying is much harder than it looks and it's 100 times worth it when you have paid the price, the pressure is off and you can just have fun. When "oh, crap I hope I don't crash" becomes "oh wow, this is fun" you're at the beginning of a hobby that can last a lifetime and never get old. Well, YOU will get old, but the hobby will mock you.
May 12, 2017, 09:48 PM
I review RC Products
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
Flying is much harder than it looks and it's 100 times worth it when you have paid the price, the pressure is off and you can just have fun. When "oh, crap I hope I don't crash" becomes "oh wow, this is fun" you're at the beginning of a hobby that can last a lifetime and never get old. Well, YOU will get old, but the hobby will mock you.
Well said my friend!

You asked a question in the comments section for a comparision between this T-28 and the Parkzone T-28, so I figured I'd answer it both places:

Maiden Flight Only - 1100mm Eleven Hobby T-28 Trojan RC Warbird (3 min 17 sec)

Both are nice flying planes, but they are very different:

Trojan Mayhem with our Parkzone T-28 Trojan Parkflyers on a Bright and Beautiful Day (4 min 34 sec)

I hadn't flown the PZ version for quite some time due to weather before I squeezed in my maiden flight with the Eleven Hobby T-28, so I didn't want to compare them directly going only by memory. I have had the chance to fly both a lot since then and here is my comparison list:

Eleven Hobby T-28:
  • Much faster then the Parkzone T-28
  • Heavier flyer, it feels like a Warbird
  • Has flaps and retracts
  • Not for newer pilots because it is harder to fly
  • A simple plane that could be a good 4th or 5th plane
  • It's appearance is simply stunning!

E-flite/Parkzone T-28:
  • Floatier
  • More forgiving for less skilled pilots
  • Slower flying, but still not slow
  • A simple plane that could be a third plane
  • A less scale looking no frills plane
May 19, 2017, 09:41 AM
WLToys 3-channel lineup are a great beginner platform to get the feel of an RC airplane.