My recommendations for RC plane beginners - Page 4 - RC Groups
Mar 22, 2013, 08:18 AM
Drone offender FA377YHFNC
Quote:
Originally Posted by immelguy
RR:
Don't know if I meant to infer they 'had' to cut in ailerons ... just saying some of the guys where I fly in the winter have done so and they appear to fly much better. Agree on setup being crucial, and know the beginners with this plane are needing a lot of help.
Agree totally. That's why, as much as I love it, I'd never suggest an unassisted newbie start with a Slow Stick. With experienced help it can be great.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 24, 2013, 10:26 AM
Another advantage of the champ and t-28 is their crash resistance. Crash resistance builds confidence. I have slammed my champ and t-28 into the ground full throttle nose first many times. I flew the champ to death, and while I could fix it up with a new fuselage and tail, I am thinking about putting the electronics in a kit. It only succumbed after several hundred crashes that would have caused serious damage to something with more inertia. It is a real confidence builder to know that if you do crash, you are highly likely to be ok. You don't need to worry about crashing too much and thus are more willing to try more challenging maneuvers. If you can fly an ultra micro over tall grass, there is really no way you are going to cause permanent damage if you crash. I have the larger Parkzone mustang, but I try out new stunts on the T-28. If I crash that mustang, I am going to have a serious repair job, but if I crash the T-28, I just walk over, pick it up, and keep flying. (Most of the time anyway; inverted landings are not conducive to continued airplane health, but hot glue works wonders.)
Mar 24, 2013, 11:39 PM
these suggestions are nice, but people always forget about scratch builds, which are MUCH cheaper, and generally much more durable/expendable.

start off with "the super easy", it's like an R/C paper airplane, three channel, handles wind okay
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ghlight=youtub

second might be the blu-baby, made from blu-core foam that you can get at lowes or home depot for $10 a sheet (one sheet can make like three planes)
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=681556

third might be a flying wing, there are some super simple delta designs that are literally made from two pieces of foam glued together. they can fly both slow and fast
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1530968

there are so many good scratchbuild plans out there it's hard to give solid recommendations. just browse the scratchbuild section!
Last edited by joekitch; Mar 24, 2013 at 11:53 PM.
Mar 24, 2013, 11:59 PM
rookie
Hmm I don't believe scratchbuilts are great first planes for unassisted beginners. Like the slowstick you need some guidance on how to set them up .
I started with a HZ supercub. best first plane in my opinion. can handle lotsa wind after you learn to fly it. Can take a major beating and still be easily repaired. It does take some space to fly but has a very good presence in the air.
After you are an accomplished cub pilot you can fly most 4 channel planes with no problems. That will will take about 5-6 hrs flight time.
Wilf
Mar 25, 2013, 12:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilf370
After you are an accomplished cub pilot you can fly most 4 channel planes with no problems. That will will take about 5-6 hrs flight time.
Wilf
I read this, turned around and looked at my workbench with 3 planes needing repairs and just had to laugh ... I'm bringing up the average time, hope they mark on the curve
Mar 25, 2013, 01:12 AM
Quote:
Hmm I don't believe scratchbuilts are great first planes for unassisted beginners. Like the slowstick you need some guidance on how to set them up .
I started with a HZ supercub. best first plane in my opinion. can handle lotsa wind after you learn to fly it. Can take a major beating and still be easily repaired. It does take some space to fly but has a very good presence in the air.
Wilf
err, the supercub was discontinued....
Mar 25, 2013, 10:42 AM
The HZ Super Cub may be discontinued in the RTF model, but it is DEFINATELY still available as a BNF.
Mar 25, 2013, 12:37 PM
Super Cub is NOT discontinued.

Haven't seen that news flash yet. That would probably make the evening news.!!
Mar 25, 2013, 03:09 PM
Yep, I agree. The HZ Super Cub probably is one of the more iconic planes in their lineup. It would be foolish to discontinue it.
Mar 28, 2013, 02:55 AM
I review RC Products
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnewton2
Another advantage of the champ and t-28 is their crash resistance. Crash resistance builds confidence. I have slammed my champ and t-28 into the ground full throttle nose first many times. I flew the champ to death, and while I could fix it up with a new fuselage and tail, I am thinking about putting the electronics in a kit. It only succumbed after several hundred crashes that would have caused serious damage to something with more inertia. It is a real confidence builder to know that if you do crash, you are highly likely to be ok. You don't need to worry about crashing too much and thus are more willing to try more challenging maneuvers. If you can fly an ultra micro over tall grass, there is really no way you are going to cause permanent damage if you crash. I have the larger Parkzone mustang, but I try out new stunts on the T-28. If I crash that mustang, I am going to have a serious repair job, but if I crash the T-28, I just walk over, pick it up, and keep flying. (Most of the time anyway; inverted landings are not conducive to continued airplane health, but hot glue works wonders.)
Good post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekitch
these suggestions are nice, but people always forget about scratch builds, which are MUCH cheaper, and generally much more durable/expendable.

start off with "the super easy", it's like an R/C paper airplane, three channel, handles wind okay
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ghlight=youtub

second might be the blu-baby, made from blu-core foam that you can get at lowes or home depot for $10 a sheet (one sheet can make like three planes)
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=681556

third might be a flying wing, there are some super simple delta designs that are literally made from two pieces of foam glued together. they can fly both slow and fast
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1530968

there are so many good scratchbuild plans out there it's hard to give solid recommendations. just browse the scratchbuild section!
Another very good post. I like this idea as long as they have someone there to help them get the CG right and trim it properly. I may even come back to this post at a later date to get some ideas after I have killed my current hanger

Quote:
Wilf
I agree with this too, but his post combined with yours too makes his information even more valuable IMHO.
Apr 13, 2013, 12:21 AM
I review RC Products
Any news on the HZ Supercub?
Apr 29, 2013, 07:12 PM
I review RC Products
Bumped for noobs to this section.
Apr 30, 2013, 04:21 PM

Champ flying in midwest winds

I have had my champ now for two years and take it out when I can, living in Nebraska I can't count on getting a windless day when I have free time. I have flown the Champ in steady 10-15 mph winds and have even gotten it to cut into 20+ mph wind gusts by dropping and then increasing altitude at full speed. I love this little plane but I have stepped up to the sky surfer V-5 and after a few crashes I now have V-5.2 lol
May 01, 2013, 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69
My recommendation for a newbie lately has been to buy the brushless system equipped, 4 channel Ares Gamma 370 Pro, receiver ready model from Hobby Town ($99.99 receiver ready) and purchase the non-aileron wing from the 3 channel Ares Gamma 370 ($25.00) along with it. When you are first leaning, you can install the non-aileron wing and plug the rudder servo into the "aileron port" on your RX. Then when you have learned to fly the Gamma 370 Pro as a 3 channel, simply remove the non-aileron wing, plug the aileron servo into the aileron port and the rudder into the rudder port of the RX and presto, you have your perfect first aileron trainer. The cost for the whole setup will be about $130.00 for the plane. To go this route, you would of course, have to have a transmitter and a receiver to place in the plane. You would have already bought those anyway, right?
Thanks for the recommendation, the Gamma 370 looks really intriguing and I've added it to my short list. Wonder if you could recommend a 4channel receiver for the plane that'd work with the Spectrum DX5e? I have the DX controller because picked up a copy of the Phoenix w/DX5e controller which I plan to fly with for a week or two, before trying a real flight
May 02, 2013, 10:33 AM
netarc, I am running these in 4 of my park flyers with great success:

http://www.headsuphobby.com/Power-Up...iver-G-656.htm

It is a six channel, but more is always better, right? The price is great and I have had no problems with them at all. They should bind right to your DX5e.