Mar 12, 2013, 10:05 PM
Last edited by bradymartin; Mar 12, 2013 at 10:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 12, 2013, 10:10 PM
Last edited by bradymartin; Mar 12, 2013 at 10:52 PM.
Mar 13, 2013, 12:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69
The folks that bought the HZ Glasair Sportsman recently would definately disagree with you on that. People differ in their likes and dislikes. I happen to dislike the Slow Stick. I have flown my brother's often enough to know that i simply don't like it. BTW - What's so great about a 36" wingspan?
Guy that owns the hobbyshop says it is very good for his business when beginners choose the slo-stik despite his recommendations. From what I've seen he is right, they are forever replacing motor mounts and parts. Once they cut ailerons in, it's a totally manageable bird.

It is not a good beginner plane from my experience, watched many struggle with this one.
Mar 13, 2013, 09:33 AM
The main problem I have seen regarding newbies and the Slow Stick is the near vertical takeoff when they do an ROG takeoff and full throttle is applied. I have seen many newbies stall and nose their Slow Stick in because of this. On the other hand, I have seen newbies do great scale ROG takeoffs with their HZ Super Cub, Champ and FB Stratos; the Ares Gamma 370 too. Also, there are too many variables regarding CG with a Slow Stick. On those other planes, the CG is pretty much spot on right out of the box and the battery is placed properly.
Mar 13, 2013, 09:44 PM
well...sounds like you guys are waiting for the plane that comes with a gyro/GPS...that all you need to do is press a button...and the plane will fly a pre-programed flight for you...then return and land by itself too.

soon you will not need to Build/fly/..or even be there!!

YES...the slo-stick is a VERY scarry model.....only 3 generations had learned to fly on them....BUT...these days...A Slo-Stick should be Feared.

Geesh........

Going to Un-subscribe to this thread..and let you youngsters sell your snake oil in peace....I was trying to help Beginners.....not argue with the merits of a Slo-stick....
Last edited by Weed89; Mar 13, 2013 at 09:49 PM.
Mar 13, 2013, 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weed89
well...sounds like you guys are waiting for the plane that comes with a gyro/GPS...that all you need to do is press a button...and the plane will fly a pre-programed flight for you...then return and land by itself too.

YES...the slo-stick is a VERY scarry model.....only 3 generations had learned to fly on them....BUT...these days...A Slo-Stick should be Feared.

Geesh........

Going to Un-subscribe to this thread..and let you youngsters sell your snake oil in peace....I was trying to help Beginners.....not argue with the merits of a Slo-stick....
Suit yourself, their just opinions .... go find a thread where everyone agrees with yours. Hobbyshop owner must need more experience selling parts .... he's only been at it 8-10 years .... and your taking it way too personal.
Mar 14, 2013, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by immelguy
Suit yourself, their just opinions .... go find a thread where everyone agrees with yours. Hobbyshop owner must need more experience selling parts .... he's only been at it 8-10 years .... and your taking it way too personal.
Yep. We're not trying to get personal here. I am just reporting my observations.
Mar 14, 2013, 01:48 PM
Speaking of observations, just shaved and from what I see in the mirror the following statement may be spot on if I pull it out of context.

Quote:

Going to Un-subscribe to this thread..and let you youngsters sell your snake oil in peace..
Mar 14, 2013, 07:23 PM
Drone offender FA377YHFNC
Quote:

Geesh........

Snake oil is trying to hawk the Slow Stick (spelling it wrong to show that you are not telling the truth in your observations anyway, otherwise you'd know its name) as a good unassisted newbie plane. It is not. It's a TERRIBLE unassisted newbie plane because it is too variable in configuration. There are a thousand ways to make a rock and only a couple dozen ways to make a plane. The unassisted newbie doesn't know the difference between a rock and a plane. After all, they look the same.

My Slow Stick is my favorite plane. I'll never recommend it to an unassisted newbie. It isn't suitable.
Mar 14, 2013, 07:32 PM
Drone offender FA377YHFNC
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69
The main problem I have seen regarding newbies and the Slow Stick is the near vertical takeoff when they do an ROG takeoff and full throttle is applied.
NEAR vertical? If I hold mine by the wing in my hand facing straight up, nail the throttle and let go it takes off PERFECTLY vertical like a rocket, accelerating all the way.

Of course I designed it to do that. It's perfectly possible to build it with the power to weight ratio of a Super Cub and then it will take off in the same distance. But a badly configured Slow Stick flies badly and then people like you say they don't like it, or people like immelguy think you have to give it ailerons to tame it. If it's assembled right it will fly wonderfully. If your Slow Stick doesn't fly wonderfully as a 3-channel plane it's time to make some changes.

Typically we see people making the wing with a reduced dihedral angle. This makes it fly like a pig with sluggish rudder control, reluctance to bank, all around crankiness. But there are other ways to ruin the plane. After all, every component can be slid freely along the fuselage. The wing can be close to the motor of halfway back toward the stabilizer. The servos can be mounted in front of the wing, under the wing or behind the wing. The battery can go anywhere, the ESC can go anywhere, the receiver ditto. The motor can be above or below the fuselage. Is somebody getting the picture that this is a plane that can be assembled a thousand different ways and still conform to the instructions?

Not suitable for beginners. Some experienced fliers will experience difficulties.
Mar 14, 2013, 07:46 PM
I've got to be pretty good with my Wildcat (flying it instead of it flying me, spot landing etc).Would I find the champ interesting now (I'm thinking of the great convenience of taking a plane out of the boot/trunk and just park-flying it) or should I be thinking 3-D to extend skills?
Mar 15, 2013, 10:48 AM
I simply don't like the Slow Stick because it does not look scale. I prefer to fly scale looking planes. Why is it so odd that some people don't like it?
Mar 15, 2013, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
or people like immelguy think you have to give it ailerons to tame it.
RR:
Don't know if I meant to infer they 'had' to cut in ailerons ... just saying some of the guys where I fly in the winter have done so and they appear to fly much better. Agree on setup being crucial, and know the beginners with this plane are needing a lot of help.
Last edited by immelguy; Mar 15, 2013 at 04:36 PM.
Mar 17, 2013, 03:55 AM
I review RC Products
Quote:

Geesh........

Yeah, because the effort I put into this thread is to sell snake oil lol

Look, if you don't want to post here anymore, that is perfectly fine. If you disagree with us and still want to post in here, that is fine too. However, don't talk down to us because you want to live in the past and ignore progress.

Also, none of the planes I mentioned in the OP have or use gyros/GPS. Educate yourself and then share your wisdom with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibongo
I've got to be pretty good with my Wildcat (flying it instead of it flying me, spot landing etc).Would I find the champ interesting now (I'm thinking of the great convenience of taking a plane out of the boot/trunk and just park-flying it) or should I be thinking 3-D to extend skills?
It is really up to you man. You may find the Champ to be incredibly slow compared to the Wildcat, however. It is nice for relaxing stick time in a tight space, but that is about it after you have tasted the larger parkflyers and peppy 2S planes. Being able to carry the planes in their cases is a huge perk of the micros and something to consider.

You are on your own about progressing to 3D or not. I personally have no interest in that, but you just might.

GB
Last edited by GBLynden; Mar 22, 2013 at 02:29 AM.
Mar 22, 2013, 02:29 AM
I review RC Products
Bump