My recommendations for RC plane beginners - Page 2 - RC Groups
Feb 23, 2013, 02:22 PM
the champ is my first plane and that was very easy to fly once i got the cg correct.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 24, 2013, 04:24 AM
I review RC Products
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradymartin
the champ is my first plane and that was very easy to fly once i got the cg correct.
That was part of my learning curve as well. It is amazing what sliding the little battery around can do!
Mar 04, 2013, 04:16 AM
I review RC Products
I thought I would add a little extra to this thread. Here is another look at the Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro in wind:

Parkzone Ultra Micro T-28 Trojan Take-Off and Landing the in Wind (3 min 45 sec)
Mar 05, 2013, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohmer
Never heard of either one. SlowStick is the only worthwhile trainer.
+1
Mar 05, 2013, 03:02 PM
Wouldn't have one in my hanger. Too butt ugly and uninspiring.
Mar 05, 2013, 04:05 PM
I agree with the Champ. Its a champ, very durable and after some practice you can move the control rods to the inner hole and fly in the wind with relative ease! Mine is beat to heck, but iam waiting till it wont fly to fix it. That will be soon. the gear box is moving around in its area, might get the p51 gearbox in there though.

How is the UMX Carbon Cub SS for a starter 4ch plane?
Mar 05, 2013, 07:52 PM
GB.... Thanks for posting this.

I've been learning to fly over the past 4 weeks. I appreciate your videos BUT, can you post some videos flying in calm wind.?? Fact is, newbs are discouraged from flying in any wind at all. I can attest to this. Wind gets a newb in trouble fast.

Also, what I have finally learned is....when turning a plane one must have adequate speed. Also, when giving input to negotiate a turn on a 3 channel set up, one must give elevator in conjunction with rudder. It's very difficult to turn with rudder alone.

And, fly in the biggest most wide open space you can find. Getting hung up in trees really sucks.!!

This is a great hobby. Wish I discovered it long ago.

Fly high....
Mar 05, 2013, 08:27 PM
Never owned a 3ch plane or a trainer. Learn flying on GWS and FMS warbirds. And then tried these micro planes, what a cxxp IMHO. Too small to see in the air, easily lose orientation 100 yard out....wind will blow these planes 100 yard out in a few second. Most of the components in the micro birds are low quality and no reuse value. Less than a year ago, I bought my first ever EPP and 3d plane, she was so easy to fly and durable and Dirt Cheap! With her large control surfaces and high power to weight ratio I could get out of trouble easily. I wondered why no one tells me this is a better way to learn flying? I have taught two kids flying with my EPP 3d planes, one bought a micro EDF and lost that plane in 5 seconds at maiden. The other had no experience at all. both went solo in 30 minutes. So, with all due respect, I have to disagree with your recommendation.
Mar 06, 2013, 09:13 AM
Drone offender FA377YHFNC
EPP 3D and Slow Stick share the same Achilles heel: They are kits. A kit in the hands of a beginner is a graduate course in the ingenuity of the ignorant. They can come up with ways to produce an unflyable plane that we experienced builders could NEVER think of. And they will. Afterwards, they won't learn to fly, after all, they're trying to fly a rock.

Both planes are absolutely ideal with a hands-on instructor who can guide the process and troubleshoot the construction process. With an instructor a beginner can learn twice as much from one of these as they can from an RTF foamy. But with an instructor, the list of planes grows to many dozens that would work really well.

Between the Slow Stick and the EPP 3D plane, I think I'd tend more to the EPP for durability and versatility, but my Slow Stick is my favorite plane. Can't lose either way IF you have an instructor.
Mar 07, 2013, 05:33 PM
I review RC Products
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69
Wouldn't have one in my hanger. Too butt ugly and uninspiring.
Which plane are you referring to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar308
I agree with the Champ. Its a champ, very durable and after some practice you can move the control rods to the inner hole and fly in the wind with relative ease! Mine is beat to heck, but iam waiting till it wont fly to fix it. That will be soon. the gear box is moving around in its area, might get the p51 gearbox in there though.

How is the UMX Carbon Cub SS for a starter 4ch plane?
Mine is pretty beat to heck too! I haven't flown the Carbon Cub, but from what I understand it is a pretty fast plane, so I would take the UM T-28 over that any day for a 4ch trainer. Not to mention the widespread servo issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_TT
Never owned a 3ch plane or a trainer. Learn flying on GWS and FMS warbirds. And then tried these micro planes, what a cxxp IMHO. Too small to see in the air, easily lose orientation 100 yard out....wind will blow these planes 100 yard out in a few second. Most of the components in the micro birds are low quality and no reuse value. Less than a year ago, I bought my first ever EPP and 3d plane, she was so easy to fly and durable and Dirt Cheap! With her large control surfaces and high power to weight ratio I could get out of trouble easily. I wondered why no one tells me this is a better way to learn flying? I have taught two kids flying with my EPP 3d planes, one bought a micro EDF and lost that plane in 5 seconds at maiden. The other had no experience at all. both went solo in 30 minutes. So, with all due respect, I have to disagree with your recommendation.
So you have never flown one, yet you don't like the idea of the beginner trying one (3ch Champ)? You also can't group all of the UM planes together. Each one has their own flight characteristics and handles differently in the air.

Your point about not being able to see them that well when flying them 100 yards out is a very valid point, especially for those with less than great eyes. Something to consider is where these planes are designed to be flown. Most people fly them in small parks or in their neighborhoods, so space normally limits people from flying them out that far.

The best thing about the Champ is demonstrated in this video right here:

HobbyZone Champ RTF Micro RC Airplane by Hobby Zone (1 min 21 sec)

You can see that it lands itself if you just let off the sticks. That is what is recommended when a beginner loses control. How much easier can it be?

Also, I am not sure what an EDF plane has to do with this thread. A beginner trying to fly one is always going to end badly and I do not recommend that at all for any beginner or even an intermediate flyer.

With all of that being said, I do appreciate your input and I am sure at least a few people in this thread will benefit from your perspective.

On another note, the plane can also be heavily modded as the skills of the pilot increase. Here is a helpful thread to review for more information: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1256836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
EPP 3D and Slow Stick share the same Achilles heel: They are kits. A kit in the hands of a beginner is a graduate course in the ingenuity of the ignorant. They can come up with ways to produce an unflyable plane that we experienced builders could NEVER think of. And they will. Afterwards, they won't learn to fly, after all, they're trying to fly a rock.

Both planes are absolutely ideal with a hands-on instructor who can guide the process and troubleshoot the construction process. With an instructor a beginner can learn twice as much from one of these as they can from an RTF foamy. But with an instructor, the list of planes grows to many dozens that would work really well.

Between the Slow Stick and the EPP 3D plane, I think I'd tend more to the EPP for durability and versatility, but my Slow Stick is my favorite plane. Can't lose either way IF you have an instructor.
I agree with all of this, especially the instructor part. 100% of the time you will be better off going that route, but if one chooses not to, the Champ is a decent B option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperRon
GB.... Thanks for posting this.

I've been learning to fly over the past 4 weeks. I appreciate your videos BUT, can you post some videos flying in calm wind.?? Fact is, newbs are discouraged from flying in any wind at all. I can attest to this. Wind gets a newb in trouble fast.

Also, what I have finally learned is....when turning a plane one must have adequate speed. Also, when giving input to negotiate a turn on a 3 channel set up, one must give elevator in conjunction with rudder. It's very difficult to turn with rudder alone.

And, fly in the biggest most wide open space you can find. Getting hung up in trees really sucks.!!

This is a great hobby. Wish I discovered it long ago.

Fly high....
I agree with the wide open space. That works for all planes no matter what your skill level is. The fact is, mistakes happen and less stuff to crash into increases the life of your planes.

I am very happy to post some no wind videos at my first opportunity. I will do a better job of showing what the plane can do and make it more instructive than the current video.

I am glad you posted those things. A little elevator while turning is very helpful to say that least. Also, AIRSPEED IS LIFE no matter which plane it is you are flying. All planes stall if they don't have enough of it.

I wish I would have discovered it sooner too. It makes me so happy to fly and I do every time I can!
Mar 08, 2013, 11:10 AM
The Slow Stick. I prefer my planes to look somewhat scale. Ocassionally you will get people who just HAVE to let everyone know about their triumph in RC flying without the need for a "beginner" plane. Let them have their moment in the sun (sigh). Plus, notice how they never say how many times they crashed those warbirds when learning how to fly them. Oh well.
Mar 08, 2013, 01:10 PM
Can NOT beat the slo stick.....the others are just toys...Slo Stick is beginner RC plane....36" wingspan.....
Mar 08, 2013, 01:25 PM
The folks that bought the HZ Glasair Sportsman recently would definately disagree with you on that. People differ in their likes and dislikes. I happen to dislike the Slow Stick. I have flown my brother's often enough to know that i simply don't like it. BTW - What's so great about a 36" wingspan?
Mar 10, 2013, 03:52 PM
I review RC Products
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69
The Slow Stick. I prefer my planes to look somewhat scale. Ocassionally you will get people who just HAVE to let everyone know about their triumph in RC flying without the need for a "beginner" plane. Let them have their moment in the sun (sigh). Plus, notice how they never say how many times they crashed those warbirds when learning how to fly them. Oh well.
I love the ego thing too (not), though I was as guilty as anyone of trying to do too much too soon in the beginning since I had a lot of experience playing videos games. It helped, but I was still almost scared away from this great hobby due to ego.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weed89
Can NOT beat the slo stick.....the others are just toys...Slo Stick is beginner RC plane....36" wingspan.....
Regardless of size, it looks like more of a toy to me than the Champ. However, it does look like it flies well, so it is another great option for RC noobs.
Mar 12, 2013, 06:40 AM
I review RC Products
Here is another look at the Champ. This is with more open space. There is still some wind to deal with, but this will likely give beginners things to think about regarding wind and how to negotiate it.

Hobbyzone Champ in church parking lot on windy day (3 min 11 sec)