Feb 14, 2013, 11:31 PM
I review RC Products
Thread OP
Discussion

My recommendations for RC plane beginners

Hi all!

This thread contains information I learned the hard way over the past two years or so. I am no expert, but it wasn't that long ago that I was just a beginner like you.

This is the plane that I suggest you start off with. It is only $89 for everything you need and it stays fun for a long time. The best part is that you don't need a big area to fly it in and it is very easy to transport: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/champ-rtf-HBZ4900

Here is an example of me flying mine in the wind with some bloopers:
Hobbyzone Champ Trainer RC Plane on Windy Day with Bloopers (2 min 20 sec)

Here it is in a little wider open space:
Hobbyzone Champ Ultra Micro Trainer RC Plane at Bender Field in Lynden, WA (2 min 18 sec)

There are other trainers out there, but this is the least expensive and best way to learn IMHO due to its price and light weight. Less mass means less destructive damage. It does mean that it will get blown around in the wind more than a larger plane, but no planes should be flown in the wind by a beginner anyhow. I do suggest flying only over grass during your first few flights in a wide open area. The grass is far more forgiving than pavement is when you crash and if the area is wide open, there is no chance to crash into a tree if it gets away from you.

Here is something I recommend you watch before you fly your Champ. It shows you have to tame the controls a little bit for easier learning. It is also useful for when trying to learn on the UM T-28:
HobbyZone Champ Tranmitter High & Low Rates (1 min 20 sec)

This plane is another proven trainer with a long track record. Aside from the ACT System (Not to be confused with the SAFE System found in the newer version of this plane) this is a great option for those that want to fly a larger plane right out of the box:
Hobbyzone Super Cub Trainer Plane Sunny Day Flight With No Crash! (2 min 22 sec)

Here is another plane that may be used as a trainer and can be flown in your house provided there is another space (use caution with this as the covering on the wings is somewhat fragile.) It can also be flown outdoors is little to no wind as shown in this video:
Parkzone Mini Vapor Ultra Micro RC Plane Outdoors in Wind (5 min 10 sec)

This is an ideal first RC Plane IMO.

Complete Unboxing, Review, and Maiden Flight:
E-flite UMX Whipit DLG RC Glider BNF Basic Unboxing, Review, and Maiden Flight (13 min 33 sec)

Maiden Flight only:
Maiden Flight Only - E-flite UMX Whipit DLG RC Glider BNF Basic (4 min 11 sec)

This plane may prove to be a good trainer plane option as well with its AS3X/3-Channel set-up due to its slow stall speeds and gentle flying:
E-Flite UMX Radian BNF with AS3X Technology Unboxing, Maiden Flight, and Review (12 min 12 sec)

It is also more durable than one would expect:
Post-Crash E-Flite UMX Radian BNF with AS3X Technology Flight and Glide in Wind (2 min 31 sec)

Here is the best aileron trainer to learn on IMHO. It is $99 and works with the controller that comes with the trainer plane. It also looks insanely cool in person during low passes. It looks very realistic in the air and is a lot faster than the trainer plane: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...n-bnf-PKZU1580

Parkzone Ultra Micro T-28 Trojan BNF Warbird RC Plane Fun (2 min 32 sec)

This video shows just how fun the Ultra Micro T-28 Trojan can be even after nearly three years of crazy flights. Everything is completely stock on this plane.
Parkzone Ultra Micro T-28 Trojan BNF Warbird RC Plane Take-off and Landing on Pavement (2 min 14 sec)
]

This is a great "parkflyer sized" option for those with flying more space and want to move to FPV flights at some point. This is a highly underrated and inexpensive gentle flying plane:

Shawn's Hobby King Bixler RC Plane in Snow Taken with Sony HDR-CX290 Handycam (2 min 21 sec)

This is another gentle flying plane that might make a good aileron trainer. At the very least it would be a very good third plane:
Parkzone Sport Cub S2 Maiden Flight Only and Bonus Take-Off's (4 min 58 sec)

Parkzone Sport Cub Parkflyer RC Plane on Windy Day with Fun Extras! (4 min 16 sec)

Once you have mastered an aileron trainer, flying either one of the next four planes should be well within your grasp(you will need to upgrade your controller to handle the bigger one for sure due to the speed of the plane and limited range of the controller than comes with the trainer plane):

This one lands a little hot, so you need to have your landings down for this one in particular
Maiden Flight Only - Parkzone Archer BNF Crash and Bonus Footage (3 min 35 sec)

Parkzone F4F Wildcat WWII Warbird RC Plane BNF Parkflyer (2 min 46 sec)

Parkzone F4F Wildcat in Wind with Bonus Take-Offs and Landings (8 min 28 sec)

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...t-bnf-PKZU1480
Parkzone Ultra Micro Pole Cat Stunts, Tricks, Crashes, and Bloopers (5 min 22 sec)

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ology-PKZU2480
Unboxing, Review, and Maiden of the Parkzone Ultra Micro P51 Mustang BNF with AS3X Technology (8 min 28 sec)

Parkzone Ultra Micro P-51 Mustang BNF WWII Warbird RC Plane with AS3X Technology in Wind (2 min 47 sec)

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...an-bnf-PKZ4480
Parkzone T-28 Trojan Parkflyer Unboxing, Review, and Sunset Maiden Flight (11 min 7 sec)

Parkzone T-28 Trojan Parkflyer RC Plane Taking Off and Landing in Berry Fields (3 min 17 sec)

Parkzone Focke-Wulf 190A-8 BNF Basic RC Plane Unboxing, Maiden Flight, and Review of FW-190 (12 min 30 sec)

Parkzone FW-190 BNF Second Flight - Focke-Wulf 190A-8 WWII RC Warbird (3 min 13 sec)

This plane is one that would make and excellent 3rd or 4th plane. It has no bad habits that I can put my finger on at this point and handles wind really well:
E-Flite UMX Pitts S-1S BNF Basic Maiden Flight with AS3X Technology (2 min 39 sec)

This plane would be a great fourth plane, but it is a bit much for a third plane for most:
Parkzone F4U-1A Corsair Parkflyer WWII Warbird RC Plane Unboxing, Maiden Flight, and Flight Review (15 min 25 sec)

Note: Skip to 8:49 if you just want to see the maiden flight.

This plane is good for take-offs and landing in rough terrain even with just the stock landing gear, but the rough field landing gear makes it fly even better off of rough terrain like grass!
Parkzone F4U-1A Corsair Parkflyer WWII Warbird RC Plane at Grass Flying Field (2 min 40 sec)

These planes are a fourth plane at the soonest. They have flaps and retractable landing gear and it fly like Warbirds.
Maiden Flight - E-Flite P-51 Mustang BNF Basic WWII Warbird RC Plane with AS3X Technology (3 min 36 sec)

Maiden Flight Only - E flite P-47 Thunderbolt with Flaps & Retracts Installed (2 min 57 sec)

***Note: The single most important thing to keep in mind is to never try to fly more plane than you are ready for. Crashing can be discouraging and expensive. You can also hurt people if you aren't careful.***

Once you have mastered those planes, you can fly just about anything like an EDF jet or a Mini Stryker:

I bought this jet as my second plane and it ended with a very smashed up jet and ego after I crashed on its very first flight! I was also lucky I didn't hurt anybody:

If you look closely, the front nose cone is all smashed to heck from its first flight lol
Stunts and Tricks with the Blue Angel F-18 Hornet 64mm EDF Jet (4 min 19 sec)

Fun at the Business Park!
StarMax 64mm EDF F-18 Super Hornet RC Jet Take-Off and Landings on Windy Day (2 min 37 sec)

E-Flite UMX Mig-15 DF Ultra Micro EDF Jet with AS3X Maiden Raw Footage and Bonus Flight (5 min 25 sec)

E-Flite UMX MiG-15 DF Ultra Micro EDF Jet Fighter - Korean War Warbird with AS3X Technology (3 min 0 sec)

E-Flite UMX Habu 180 DF Ultra Micro BNF with AS3X Technology Maiden and Review With a Flock of Birds (7 min 24 sec)

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...wi-bnf-PKZ5980
Parkzone Albatros D.Va WWI BNF - Second Flight in Wind (4 min 56 sec)

This plane has a strong rudder proficiency requirement for it to fly decent:
Parkzone Ultra Micro P-40 Warhawk BNF WWII Warbird RC Plane Crash - AS3X Technology (4 min 23 sec)

I think this is enough information to get the conversation started in this thread. Feel free to ask any RC related questions you have. I love this hobby and am happy to help out you guys just starting out any way I can.

Also, others should feel free to contribute what they have learned to the beginners in this thread. I certainly don't know it all and can probably benefit from your input as well as the beginners.

Happy flying!
Last edited by GBLynden; Aug 29, 2015 at 02:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 18, 2013, 02:12 AM
I review RC Products
Thread OP
Bump
Feb 18, 2013, 05:41 AM
Its about time someone finally recommended the relatively unknown Champ and micro T-28 as trainers....
Feb 18, 2013, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrodgers
Its about time someone finally recommended the relatively unknown Champ and micro T-28 as trainers....
Never heard of either one. SlowStick is the only worthwhile trainer.
Feb 19, 2013, 01:10 AM
I review RC Products
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrodgers
Someone brand new probably hasn't heard of either, which is why they are in this section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohmer
Never heard of either one. SlowStick is the only worthwhile trainer.
Thank you for your recommendation sir!
Feb 19, 2013, 11:08 AM
While I agree that the Hobbyzone Champ is a great little airplane, and many have learned on it, the inability for a newbie to fly it in anything other than totally calm conditions limits it somewhat; it is still a great plane though. As for the Parkzone T-28 being a great first aileron trainer, this is where I disagree, simply because again, it is simply not suitable to fly in anything other than really calm conditions. BTW - I have both planes.

My recommendation for a newbie lately has been to buy the brushless system equipped, 4 channel Ares Gamma 370 Pro, receiver ready model from Hobby Town ($99.99 receiver ready) and purchase the non-aileron wing from the 3 channel Ares Gamma 370 ($25.00) along with it. When you are first leaning, you can install the non-aileron wing and plug the rudder servo into the "aileron port" on your RX. Then when you have learned to fly the Gamma 370 Pro as a 3 channel, simply remove the non-aileron wing, plug the aileron servo into the aileron port and the rudder into the rudder port of the RX and presto, you have your perfect first aileron trainer. The cost for the whole setup will be about $130.00 for the plane. To go this route, you would of course, have to have a transmitter and a receiver to place in the plane. You would have already bought those anyway, right?
Feb 19, 2013, 09:44 PM
I review RC Products
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69
While I agree that the Hobbyzone Champ is a great little airplane, and many have learned on it, the inability for a newbie to fly it in anything other than totally calm conditions limits it somewhat; it is still a great plane though. As for the Parkzone T-28 being a great first aileron trainer, this is where I disagree, simply because again, it is simply not suitable to fly in anything other than really calm conditions. BTW - I have both planes.

My recommendation for a newbie lately has been to buy the brushless system equipped, 4 channel Ares Gamma 370 Pro, receiver ready model from Hobby Town ($99.99 receiver ready) and purchase the non-aileron wing from the 3 channel Ares Gamma 370 ($25.00) along with it. When you are first leaning, you can install the non-aileron wing and plug the rudder servo into the "aileron port" on your RX. Then when you have learned to fly the Gamma 370 Pro as a 3 channel, simply remove the non-aileron wing, plug the aileron servo into the aileron port and the rudder into the rudder port of the RX and presto, you have your perfect first aileron trainer. The cost for the whole setup will be about $130.00 for the plane. To go this route, you would of course, have to have a transmitter and a receiver to place in the plane. You would have already bought those anyway, right?
Thanks for offering this up Chuck

This certainly may be a better option vs the Champ for some folks out there.

GB
Feb 20, 2013, 10:42 AM
No problem. I believe your recommendations are sound, given that the newbie understand that the micros should be flown on a windless day.
Feb 20, 2013, 10:48 AM
Hmm, I like that suggestion chuck. How crashable is the ares that is one nice thing about something like the stratos it has that nose to hit before the props
Feb 20, 2013, 03:11 PM
Well, I have seen my brother crash his Gamma 370 nose first and bend the prop shaft and that was all. Prop shaft assemblies for the Gamma 370 are cheap and a trip to Hobby Town had us back up in the air in under 30 minutes. Since the Gamma 370 is geared, the shaft that bends is totally replaceable with the entire gear box for about six bucks. The Gamma 370 is one tough plane. I actually have found the Gamma 370 is more crashable than the FB Stratos, simply because it flies slower and the landing gear can take more abuse than the gear on the Stratos. The cowl is also made of very flexible plastic. This is in contrast to the HZ Super Cub that has a cowl made of brittle plastic that cracks on contact with almost anything. I had all 3 planes at one time, and the Gamma 370 is still my recommendation for the rank newbie. Especially if bought as the Pro version with the 3 channel wing. Heck, you can't get some Parkzone micros for the same price.
Feb 20, 2013, 03:23 PM
Interesting! I like the stratos and should probably build my Albatross but man I prefer to fly and tweak and mod over building. I have the Turnigy 9x radio sitting there for that along with a 2810 brushless a 2200 lipo and a couple small servos would those work with the Gamma 370?
Feb 20, 2013, 03:59 PM
Sure, although the the Gamma 370 Pro is basically all ready to go with brushless system and servos (some have replaced these though). The 2200 lipo may be a bit too big for this plane as the largest battery I have seen spec'd is the 3s 1300 mah 25c. The radio should be fine. I fly mine using a Spektrum DX7s and an AR400 Rx. Any 4 channel Rx comatible with your Turnigy 9x should be fine. Keep in mind though that the Gamma Pro is not geared so the prop shaft is integral to the motor; this is unlike the Gamma 370 3 channel which has a brushed motor and gear box.
Feb 20, 2013, 04:04 PM
I have the champ. A VERY good little plane.
But i have mixed feelings about it as a first plane. 1) regardless of its light weight you CAN break it because it is so thin. I mean the tail is about the thickness of paper plate. One bad nose over on landing or hitting something and the tail can be torn off or one nose in and the prop is now out of alignment. 2) wind - its fine to say don't fly in the wind, but here is Texas there is ALWAYS a wind. And due to the ultra-lite weight this plane can get tossed around. And newbs want to fly NOW and many cant wait for wind to totally die down.
Again i am a big fan of this plane, but not so much as a first plane. Better as a "I just want to relax i the park" plane for someone with a bit of experience.
BTW the regular Ares gamma (not the pro) does come with radio and battery, for what about $129?
Feb 20, 2013, 04:47 PM
Yes, although my Gamma 370 RX-R did not. Only $79.99 though.
Feb 22, 2013, 08:02 PM
I review RC Products
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by texbird
I have the champ. A VERY good little plane.
But i have mixed feelings about it as a first plane. 1) regardless of its light weight you CAN break it because it is so thin. I mean the tail is about the thickness of paper plate. One bad nose over on landing or hitting something and the tail can be torn off or one nose in and the prop is now out of alignment. 2) wind - its fine to say don't fly in the wind, but here is Texas there is ALWAYS a wind. And due to the ultra-lite weight this plane can get tossed around. And newbs want to fly NOW and many cant wait for wind to totally die down.
Again i am a big fan of this plane, but not so much as a first plane. Better as a "I just want to relax i the park" plane for someone with a bit of experience.
BTW the regular Ares gamma (not the pro) does come with radio and battery, for what about $129?
Your points are valid and thank you for your post. However, lots of people have successfully flown this plane as a trainer and moved on to bigger and better things.

I did mention om the OP that flying it over the grass at first is the way to go and that does a great job at protecting it from damage. If damage does occur, it just gives them a chance to learn how to repair their plane. That is something they will need to know moving forward anyhow.

If they choose to take-off and land on pavement, well then, that is up to them at their own risk.

GB

Quick Reply