Dec 29, 2003, 05:04 AM
de-registered abuser
Thread OP

Why would you live anywhere else??

Dudley Bluff, Newcastle Australia, About 2 hours north of Sydney.
6.30PM (2.5 hrs ago)
78 *F wind 15 knots East north east (perfect for this hill)
Water temp, about 70*F

1st attempt at a panorama shot from my new camera, made up of three images. The ground in front is supposed to be straight so I have some learning to do. I figured the ocean needed to be straight, the rest would fall into place!!.

If you think the Newcastle area is a good place to slope, you'd be right Actually it's like this for about 1000Km to the north and south of the east coast. All the way up to lancairs place!

Cheers
Paul

What's the weather like where you guys are at the moment?
to remove ads between posts
Dec 29, 2003, 07:37 AM
Nice shot Paul,

What are you flying there?

I flew my 1/6 scale Salto yesterday in a gentle south east breeze at Dobroyd for the second time after re-building it after sitting in my shed for 28 years. And you're right, Australia is a great place to live and fly.

Graham.
Dec 29, 2003, 08:05 AM
de-registered abuser
Thread OP
Hi Graham, I'm taking the shot

One was flying an electron (RCgroups name "alkoo") , which is just visible, and there was also a gulp SR, a zagi, another great flying plank wing using a modified "fatboy" wing, built by the guy looking back,... and my bat, which I had a ball with today.

here's another shot taken from the same spot . (gotta love the 10X optical zoom) across the heads to Hickson St. Merewether. "The Water Tower"

Great in a relaxed SE.The short lawn makes a good landing. Starts getting blown out above about 20knots though. Don't let those bushes below the hill fool you, they eat planes. Some of the trees in there are huge. Many planes are still in there somewhere!! Iv'e spent many hours in there too! I'll get a LMA oneday.....

Cheers
Paul

P.S
Dec 29, 2003, 08:18 AM
OMG.
You fly from the light green patch, centre top of hill under water tower ? OMG
Thats it, Im coming down there sometime in Jan 04'

Heres a site we fly at, its around 700' ASL and 5km inland, gets AWESOME thermal action in the right SE-E breeze and the lift in stronger winds is awesome. Foamies are easier to fly there but I have flown my Hornet here, landing has to be into the long grass behind and to the right slightly of the sitting PG pilot is my target area, to "catch" the model.

And of course I have to agree with you Paul, why would you live anywhere else. Actually maybe its these lush green landing areas that are kind to my servos, compared to the moonscapes we see in pics of SoCal sites. I feel for you guys flying on rocky ground.

Lancair
Dec 29, 2003, 08:33 AM
de-registered abuser
Thread OP
That's some nice scenery there lancair, I still have not ever been up and explored around there yet.

Hey if you come down, make sure you let us know, there's a heap of guys lurking here that'll fly with you.

Here's "toose" launching his gulp SR. They are a very nicely styled plane, and they go like a fast thing too!

Cheers
Paul
Dec 29, 2003, 12:11 PM
Hmmmm I figured that the California guys had it easy....with less rocks...and no cactus ....but you guys have it made.
What's the winter weather like there. I was slopeing "A" mountain here in Tucson yesterday....48deg F today about 55deg F and clear as a bell you can see 100 miles easy here almost every day of the year.

Jim
Dec 29, 2003, 05:19 PM
Gravity always wins!
WoW! Lancair and gouch, I'm coming too!

The M60 got its spar glued in today - I got solartex for christmas (red, yellow and white) - so its all happening!

M
Dec 29, 2003, 08:19 PM
de-registered abuser
Thread OP
Jim: winter here is not too bad, gets down to about 10*C, 50*F on the coast here But like anywhere, it's the wind chill that gets it cold. The "water tower" on a winters day with our 30knot southerlies gets mighty cold!! We don't have cactus here but at Dudley Bluff there is some pain in the butt, knee high thorny thing that lashes the lower legs in shorts. That, and the myriad of killer snakes and spiders....and the drop bears

Also being away from a major city, the air is clear as glass. The only "hazing" we get comes from the ocean mist and we get some inversions when the conditions are right.

We are only about 20 min drive to Williamtown AFB and It's something else to see an F-18 or Hawk come past at eye level close enough to see the pilots silouette, when your planes are higher than they are!

Mafu: come on down, and bring the fleet!

Cheers
Paul
Dec 30, 2003, 01:52 AM
Seeing as us Aussies are boasting about how good we got it... this is where i flew today... lift was good, and for all you crunchie pilots (like me today) as you can see there is not a tree in sight.... just acres of grass to land in. Should you down it on the lower rock ledge a 3min walk will get your plane back..... we had a damn fine day today flying everything we had : )

This site is 1.5 hours south of Sydney and it has been reported that cattle do actually fall off the cliff sometimes so you do need some caution, but this place just rocks !!!!!

Regs,
Beefa.
Dec 30, 2003, 03:18 AM
So where is it beefa??

Graham.
Dec 30, 2003, 04:11 AM
de-registered abuser
Thread OP
Nice cliff beefa. Now that's a landing strip!

How good was the wind today We had 25 knots here.

Another taken today of a couple more spots viewed from Dudley.

The white box is called " the launch pad" Vertical face and rips on big days when the others get blown out. Has a great landing slope, but is very close to homes and a very busy road. And the sand eroding off the sandstone cliffs into your eyes ensures you take your sunnies.

The red one is the DS spot in King Edward Park in a south eastish wind. Also a very nice vertical cliff on the "light side" No retreval as far as I can tell though...

The sky was full of salt spray so forgive the appearance of the photo. I had to doctor it in photoshop and showing my lack of skill in that department.

Cheers
Paul
Dec 30, 2003, 04:50 AM
OK,
Heres Lennox Head, my closest site. Takes 6 minutes to drive to.
The red dot is where the following pic was taken from.
Last edited by Lancair; Dec 30, 2003 at 04:58 AM.
Dec 30, 2003, 04:51 AM
And the return view.

Lancair
Dec 30, 2003, 05:20 AM
Graham,

the cliff is next bay south from Easts Beach which is just south of Kiama.
For all those on the east coast of NSW today, the wind was great, a good 25+ knotts, gusting higher down south, which was starting to blow this place out a little. It would prefer 15 to 25 tops.

Should stay this way for the rest of the week i imagine.

Regs,
Beefa.
Dec 30, 2003, 08:00 PM
MINE!
This Summerholme near Laidley about an hour and a bit west of brisbane this was my 3rd ever slope launch ( the first 2 ending about where the photo is being taken from due to 20kt wind and not enough weight on the nose ). This flight lasted for 40 min and only ended as my thumbs where getting sore.

Quick Reply