Feb 14, 2013, 06:43 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

76" Scale twin 90mm Composite Typhoon Scratch Build

I'm just about to start building my 76" Typhoon. The end result should be a fully composite scale model that will more than likely have twin 90 mm EDF's or larger and be contest capable in both flight and looks. I will also be making the molds for this model for my own reproduction.

My goal is to have a flying prototype ready by Sept 2013 for the Las Vegas Ace in the hole event. I attended my first one in 2012 with my Su35 Flanker and felt like an idiot after seeing the quality of both the builders and the flying. So I came home inspired to build better and more accurate scale birds from molds that I will make.

I have just finished up the prototype of an all composite T-28 that will be test flown tomorrow. I still have to make the molds for the wing skin but no big deal. With that said........ Today I began my preliminary build of the Typhoon. Now I am totally open to input and ideas for all the stages. I have built many prop jobs but this is my first scratch built large EDF/Turbine. I will be needing ideas on power plant once further along and also wing airfoil decision.

I have completed the plans for thwe DA4 version (twin seater) and have cut out temporary station patterns to prove the design flow before committing to expensive materials and the final plug. A couple of pics from today and a link to my T28 thread if interested.

For the next couple of weeks any updates will be slow then it will get real busy real fast.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1767143
to remove ads between posts
Feb 14, 2013, 11:35 PM
RC Adddict
Subbed , really enjoy your builds
Feb 15, 2013, 04:01 AM
Looking forward to this one.... bring on the learning!
Feb 15, 2013, 05:41 AM
Life begins at transition
Four's in.

The way you go, it'll be flying by June!
Feb 15, 2013, 08:04 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the support and interest in my projects. I will choose the power plant and internal ducting once I layup the first fuse from the molds and know the weight. This will be the same for the landing gear which will be servo less. I would like to keep things simple and have a target of two 90mm quality fans that may be all metal with a high blade count for the sound. It would be nice to power them on 6S per side so that I do not get into exotic batteries and ESC's. My goal is to share bats, ESC's and fans across all my models to save cash whenever possible.

My plan is to have a digital cockpit with back lit displays and a couple of Gi Joe pilots or equivalent that will be animated.

I would also like to have the option of thrust vectoring.

I will add afterburner or reheaters as we call them in the tail pipes to simulate flames.

Functioning Dream list.

Chaff dispenser..... Start cutting up tin foil?
Flare dispenser...... Have seen one on the Russian jet?
EMF braking system...... now available
Variable in flight automated slats.... Should not be to difficult
Vortex pressure wave when pulling G loads....... Dream on
Bomb drop... no problem
Functioning speed brake ..... Just need a cheap actuator.

Okay she now weighs in at 50Lbs plus laugh... Okay, so all you brilliant types begin putting in ideas and or designs for the toys.
Last edited by acesimmer; Feb 15, 2013 at 09:47 AM.
Feb 15, 2013, 08:12 AM
Vortex - electric smoke. Just a bit, so it disperses quickly! Lots of fine holes in the wing upper surface

Flare - match heads? Lots of phosphourus...
Feb 15, 2013, 08:51 AM
Slava Ukraini 🇺🇦
Signing in to follow.

raipe
Feb 15, 2013, 09:45 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysis
Vortex - electric smoke. Just a bit, so it disperses quickly! Lots of fine holes in the wing upper surface

Flare - match heads? Lots of phosphourus...
I need a chemical that smokes like hell when exposed to air?
Feb 15, 2013, 07:51 PM
Rubidium or caesium? Finely ground, mixed with something to go smokey.

(I just don't want to be around when you're trying to grind the stuff up!)
Feb 15, 2013, 09:10 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Rubidium or caesium? Finely ground, mixed with something to go smokey.

(I just don't want to be around when you're trying to grind the stuff up!)
Where the hell do you buy that?
Feb 15, 2013, 09:15 PM
I doubt anywhere that Homeland Security isn't keeping a close eye on!
Feb 15, 2013, 09:19 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
I doubt anywhere that Homeland Security isn't keeping a close eye on!
LOL....Nods as good as a wink!
Feb 16, 2013, 05:57 AM
AirBorn Jetworkx
FANtastic, checkin' in!

Here are some pics of real one I took a while ago at ETSI. Maybe you find them helpful, although taken through the fence.

And here an affordable reference book
http://www.sampublications.com/books...n/prod_26.html

Frank
Feb 16, 2013, 11:45 PM
Flying Low
Your T28 build was cool so I will follow along here as well
Feb 17, 2013, 06:42 AM
EB-66C Team Member
My plan is to have a digital cockpit with back lit displays and a couple of Gi Joe pilots or equivalent that will be animated.

I would also like to have the option of thrust vectoring.

I will add afterburner or reheaters as we call them in the tail pipes to simulate flames.

Functioning Dream list.

Chaff dispenser..... Start cutting up tin foil?
Flare dispenser...... Have seen one on the Russian jet?
EMF braking system...... now available
Variable in flight automated slats.... Should not be to difficult
Vortex pressure wave when pulling G loads....... Dream on
Bomb drop... no problem
Functioning speed brake ..... Just need a cheap actuator.

"I would like to keep things simple"

Yeah right! Should be an awesome build just as your T-28 modification is.
Fair warning, I will keep your butt to the fire to get this one done for Vegas!

J

Quick Reply