Dec 29, 2003, 01:17 AM
Thread OP

Fly Weasel!

I finally bought a weasel a couple of weeks ago from the advice of cobalt (thanks!) Ive gotta say this thing is a blast. This is my first sloper, first glider, my 4th plane. It flies great, handles great, so smooth! I dont know if I want to fly motorized planes again

Ive been flying down at Long Beach Bluffs, today was another great day. Wind has been excellent, lift has been great. Hoping the rest of the week is just as good. Still need some slope practice, especially on the landing side, but the weasel has taken the ruff landings well and is starting to get used to my flying style.

If anyone is out there considering the weasel I say go for it. It was very easy to build, excellent cut kit, Michael Richter has been very helpful with the questions Ive had. Shipping was excellent I received my kit in 2 days!!

Heres a few pics from today

Looking forward to some more great lift days to fly my weasel.

Mike
to remove ads between posts
Dec 29, 2003, 01:19 AM
Thread OP
pic 1
Dec 29, 2003, 01:19 AM
Thread OP
pic 2
Dec 29, 2003, 01:20 AM
Thread OP
pic 3
Dec 29, 2003, 01:21 AM
Thread OP
pic 4
Dec 29, 2003, 05:23 AM
Get the Mini-Weasel too, you will love it more
Dec 29, 2003, 11:20 AM
VTPR & Slope Aerobatics
Welcome to the Axis!

What's that saying? "You don't sell Weasels, they sell themselves!"

You've taken your first steps into a larger world.

While I fly all sorts of planes my Weasels will always be amongst my favorites. For light lift goofing around they're tough to beat, in my opinion. Moths are faster, the flying V type wings better for combat, but Weasels have a groove all their own. I'm glad you're enjoying yours!

Steve
Dec 30, 2003, 12:06 AM
Thread OP
Kai@USCB, you read my mind, will most likely get one in the spring time, in the mean time ill enjoy this one.

surfpimp, I figured I was on my way to a whole new world of flying with the weasel, and this is just the beginning.

Lets hope this weasel will help to polish some of my "slope" skills so I can move on to the faster bigger slopers!

Mike
Dec 30, 2003, 03:24 PM
honey... anOTHER PLANE!
monti - you'll come to find that slope flying is not only an addiction, it's an uncureable sickness that's in your mind and soul, and by the sounds of it your showing all the symptoms!
By all means, keep your motorized planes for those sad 'no lift' days (may they be few) but from here on out; "go placidly amidst the noise and haste, and remember what peace there is in silence!"

Ahhh enough of that cr@p, did you cover you weasel with tape or Ultracote and what was your AUW?

Neil
Dec 31, 2003, 02:40 AM
Thread OP
I used tape to cover, auw is at 10.9oz, actually Ive added 1/2oz of lead to the nose, so im at 11.4oz right now, havent needed any ballast yet, but I molded a few 1, 1.5 and 2oz plugs incase the wind kicks up.
Dec 31, 2003, 02:46 AM
VTPR & Slope Aerobatics
That weight sounds really good, pretty much perfect. Weasels in the 11oz. range tend to fly very nice, though I like them a bit heavier as well (if they are Solartexed or Ultracoted). 2oz. is a good amount of weight for ballast, I've used that much and flown in measured 50mph winds.

Anyways have fun!

Steve
Dec 31, 2003, 09:38 PM
Thread OP
Took the weasel out to Temple Hill today to do some lunch time flying, (just happened to be in the neighborhood at 12:00) Simply amazing! This thing is very aerobatic in the right wind, loops, rolls, inverted, there were actually a few times I pointed it in the wind and let it hover, some of those gusts were strong. Was alot of fun, hope to get back up there soon, I was the only one out there today, so I had the skies all to myself, maybe Ill make it a regular luch spot
Jan 02, 2004, 01:24 AM
Thread OP

Weasel spotted at Fermin

Another great day with the weasel, started out at Bluff Park in Long Beach, was really light maybe 2-4mph, packed it up after about an hour and headed to Fermin. This is what its all about! Even tho the local flyers were tellin me it was really light, I was having a good time. Was awesome to fly there with that view in the background. Winds maybe 8-10mph, cant wait till it picks up over there.

If anyone can help me with this one Id be greatful, Im definatley going to need to add some ballast, Ive got some lead slugs already made but no ballast tube, whats the best way to go about this with the weasel? should it be spring loaded so the ballast doesnt shift around, or just pack the free space with foam? Also do I make the hole on top or bottom?

Thanks in advance

Mike
Jan 02, 2004, 01:55 AM
VTPR & Slope Aerobatics
Check out the picture in the Photos section of the flyWeasel group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/flyweasel/

Basically you make your hole in the pod, right at the CG. Get a piece of brass tubing, block off one end with a piece of wood or similar, then fill with melted lead to make your ballast plug. Use another piece of tubing that has been sharpened to cut the hole. Hold the ballast in with tape, voila! Works like a charm. I find 2oz. is sufficient.

Hope that helps,

Steve
Jan 02, 2004, 11:07 AM
I just want to fly.
Monti,

I sent u a PM with my phone #, give me a call the next time you head out to long beach, I live just up the street from Bluff Park, and I too have a Weasel..a mini weasel...I figure we could terriorize the locals together with the Terror that is the Weasel

Quick Reply