This thread is privately moderated by peterswolf, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 13, 2013, 10:54 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

Durafly JU-87G Stuka (43.3")

Flight Pack: GensAce 3S 2200mah 25C
Last edited by peterswolf; Jul 30, 2014 at 11:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 24, 2014, 06:39 AM
Thread OP

Maiden Flight Report from Dec 16 2013

(originally from Dec 16 2013)

Man how did I miss the CG guidance earlier in the RCG thread... I totally missed it, also I guess it pays to look at online versions of the manual which show the 45 mm measurement. I set mine up for 50mm as per the paper manual, but I just looked at it looks more like I'm actually balanced at 48mm. I ended up adding 21 grams to the tail to get that balance, looks like I can remove one of the 7 gram weights and go to the 45mm sweet spot. That being said it did fly fine at 48mm for me, but not totally on rails.

My maiden was a roller coaster. Mostly due to the warped tail section I mentioned before. Everything was trimmed to neutral as best I could. Once I was up in the air I had to pull back almost full elevator to keep the plane in flight and a lot of aileron/rudder was required to keep it from dropping to the left, it was an insane amount, I almost just said screw it and let it drop out of the sky because it was becoming dangerously uncontrollable. I managed to get my finger over long enough to get the elevator trim all the way down and that solved my elevator issue, then I had to mix between rudder and aileron trim to get it to fly straight. It took almost a full 5 minutes of fighting to trim it out. So I then finally landed it without incident. Definitely put all my skills to the test. So before the second flight I noted the trim offset, then manually adjusted the control surface accordingly and reset the trim tabs. 2nd flight was fantastic, it was so nice once it was trimmed out, really enjoyed flying it. It was a little sensitive on pitch and roll, but I used some expo to compensate and seems to have worked out well. Landing was really nice with half flaps.

So I'm hesitant to mess with the CG, maybe I'll fly it a couple more times as is, and then move the CG to 45mm. I have a feeling that since I was flying in calm weather the slightly aft CG wasn't so bad, but I bet in higher winds the aft CG will be more of a detriment. I like my planes nose heavy in winds
Jun 24, 2014, 06:40 AM
Thread OP
So I had this one for sale in the classifieds, no sales ended up happening, so I decided to keep her. I flew her this morning for the firs time in a while, and first time with the forward CG of 45mm. She flew fantastic, I had her pretty dialed in previously at 48mm, but as quitcherbitchen in the RCG thread advised me earlier she flies like she's on rails with 45mm CG, and that's for sure. Had a great flight this morning, was nice and calm as the sun was coming up, landing was effortless except that I didn't line up square with the runway so I dipped into the side of the runway and nosed over into the grass, no real damage, the guns came off, simple re-glue, and one of the flap hinges came off the wing, no real damage there either, just need to re-glue. I'm sure I could have avoided with better line up and a little more rudder input but since the hinge for the flap needs to be re-glued, it suspended my flights for the morning as I didn't bring any CA to the field Oh well, I'll get her fixed up today and back out tomorrow morning for some more fun Feeling good I decided to keep this one.
Jun 25, 2014, 10:53 AM
Thread OP
I got in a couple more flights this morning as the sun came up. There was zero wind so it was a great chance to trim her out perfectly. I found that my rudder was pulling me to the left a bit so I got that trimmed out, which now means that my tail wheel is off by a fair bit hehe. So I can get that sorted out later. On landing when the mains touch down the plane veers a little to the left, then once the tail comes down she loses speed fast and then darts to the right. Kind of hard to keep her on the runway, as rudder input isn't very good at that lower speed. I always seems to end up in the grass with a light nose-over. I haven't done the landing gear mod to the mains yet and mine are still kind of bent in a bit, so I might throw some washers on the inside screws of the struts and see if I can widen the stance a little bit and straighten it out. Perhaps that may help some of the ground control.

Quick Reply