Sep 09, 2019, 01:28 AM
An old thread I know, but has there ever been any progress on an effective ASD steering control?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 09, 2019, 12:03 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Thread OP
The IMTH System is still the most versatile integrated steering systems for ASD rc models.

https://www.imth.de/index.php/en/
Sep 17, 2019, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the reply,

The IMTH system with the Copilot looks interesting however it appears to be a little clunky just using the stick. I could be wrong but it looks as though he has to set the throttle speed before any steering can happen and then the throttle speed is set??? I could be wrong though???
If I'm looking at the setup correctly I'll be up for about 1600 - 1700EUR for a twin ASD setup (transmitter, receiver, Copilot, electronics, and servos)!!!!!!!!

So I'm now wondering now just how much "serious" interest there really is in these ASD transmitters?
I run a small engineering business and a lot of my work is for an electronics business. The design and build electronics for underwater ROV's (remote operated vehicles / submersibles) and the fish farming and mining industry.
I spoke to them about coming up with an ASD control system and they seem to think that it would be a relatively simple electronic circuit to design and build if I could do the machining work for the transmitter mechanics (similar to the full scale control on and ASD tug).

The idea would be to machine a complete "bolt in" gimble replacement for a new transmitter. Something like a Turnigy X9.
Cheap, and yet a reasonably good transmitter for our purpose, programable and with plenty of spare channels for other functions.
The receiving circuit would plug directly into the receiver with no further modifications and would drive a simple stepper motor similar to those used on bench top cnc routers and 3D printers.

So I'm wondering how much interest there would be in a complete "ASD radio package" if this could be bought for a reasonable price - roughly a 3rd of the cost of the IMTH???
The package would come complete with a new Turnigy X9 fitted with twin ASD control hubs, X9 receiver, two stepper motors and two stepper motor driver circuits.
All that would be required to connect the stepper motor drive to the ASD unit would be a simple toothed belt with a magnetic sensor located on the ASD to for the circuit to "home" on initial start up.

The transmitter controls would consist of the normal gimble "sticks" being replaced with a rotating hub with an integral throttle lever. The hubs would rotate 360 degrees (continuously - meaning you could keep spinning them around in one direction without having to rotate them back the other way to zero them) and the direction of the propeller would be the same direction that the hub on the transmitter is facing.

If anyone is seriously interested, please PM me and let me know!

Quick Reply