Feb 12, 2013, 02:07 PM
Slopeaholic
Thread OP
Build Log

1/4 Scale Horten IV Build

Hey guys,

I'm just getting rolling on a pretty exciting project. Brian (CPDude) has put together a kit for one of the sexiest flying wings out there...the Horten IV. At 1/4 scale she will build out to just over 5M. She has 3 control surfaces per wing and spoilers to boot so radio setup ought to be a blast!

The plane builds out with two wing panels and a center section so those with Smart cars may need to dust off their roof racks. The build is pretty straightforward considering it's size, and there are a few details that still need to be worked out but we'll cover that as things progress. I'll start getting some pics up later today, but until then...strap in and enjoy the ride!

Horten IV Teaser (0 min 44 sec)

-hutch
to remove ads between posts
Feb 12, 2013, 02:26 PM
High Lift Coefficient
Now what have you got yourself into Mike? You know this thing ain't gonna do those flick rolls you love so much . You planning to have this bird ready for LB?
Feb 12, 2013, 02:30 PM
Slopeaholic
Thread OP
I seriously doubt that it will be flight ready for Los Banos (do we have dates yet for this year?) But you can bet your sweet bippy that it will be on static display!

-hutch
Feb 12, 2013, 03:50 PM
Everything's A Composite
Looks like fun. You've got a lot of building ahead of you.

This one should be a blast at the slopes. So is the plan to aerotow and slope fly or will this be an "E-Horten" too?

Kent
Feb 12, 2013, 04:15 PM
Slopeaholic
Thread OP
You got it Kent. Fortunately, I'm one of those guys that likes building just as much as I like flying. I dig ARF's just as much as the next guy, but they are very scarce in my hangar.

She will be a pure sailplane all the way. In my opinion, EVERY plane is a slope plane, but a nice LZ will be a must. That being said, I will be working out a tow release install but I need to get a little further along to do some space planning. For how large it is, there will be a few things fighting for that coveted space in the front of the center section.

-hutch
Feb 12, 2013, 08:15 PM
Designing something...
Subscribed!!!
Feb 12, 2013, 09:11 PM
Subscribed!!!
Feb 13, 2013, 12:57 AM
Slopeaholic
Thread OP
So the first thing I like to do with a big project like this is get organized. Getting all of the cut parts sorted into their respective assemblies makes things much more manageable. There are over 300 shear webs alone in the wing so getting everything sorted makes life much easier!!

-hutch
Feb 13, 2013, 01:27 AM
Slopeaholic
Thread OP
The build begins with the center section. Not only because it is a nice easy spot to ease into the build, but because it will be necessary for setting up a few things once I get into the wing construction. *ok, so technically the whole plane is wing construction but you get it*

The center panel is built upside down on the building board with a slotted jig that keeps the ribs in horizontal alignment.

I cut a piece of MDF the I 3M77'd the jig to so it would stay flat and still be mobile in case I needed to clear the bench for something else. After that, there were a few parts that needed to be laminated before I could get started.

And now some pics...

-hutch
Last edited by Hutch; Feb 13, 2013 at 03:20 AM.
Feb 13, 2013, 03:29 AM

Horten IV build

Hello Hutch,

or is it Mike? Great pics and nice you´re doing a building log.

I enjoyed building my Hortens as much as you seem to be doing it .

Btw, do you know that with the new Spektrum DX18 you can programmable setup 3 (flap/aileron)servo´s per wing and also have functions left for the airbrakes/spoilers etc?

I will be watching

greetings
Peter
Feb 13, 2013, 05:17 AM
Hutch,
Your Horten is looking great so far. It will provide inspiration for my build of Brian's 2m HoXII . Looking forward to following your progress.

What thickness MDF are you using? Did you get it at Home Depot/Lowes? I you think it will remain stiff enough for such a large model if you have to move it?

Regards,
-Eric
Feb 13, 2013, 01:11 PM
Slopeaholic
Thread OP
Ohmite,

For the center section jig it's just a length of 1/2" MDF. At that size it is plenty flat and stiff enough for the job. The board I built for the wing is another story. I picked up a 15"X 96" shelf board from HD. Then I squared up two 2X4's on a table saw and screwed them to the shelf board. You can pick it up in the middle without any sag now and it's perfectly flat For extra flair I screwed some 1/2"X1/2" angle aluminum to the front so I would have a solid straight line to run all my alignment marks and ribs to. More on that later though.

Peter!,

Thanks for taking a look over here. Mike or Hutch...I am programmed to answer to either one. Any wisdom you can pass along as I muddle my way though this build would be greatly appreciated. I haven't made the jump to those 2.4 voodoo witch doctor magic radios yet, so I plan on using my Multiplex EVO to set this bird up. It has pretty unlimited mixing options as long as you have a few hours to spare remembering their programming logic.
Feb 13, 2013, 01:23 PM
Designing something...
Mike,

Since your using that "mature" radio technology you'll need to remember to make provisions for the receiver and the looooong antenna in one of the wing panels.

Cheers,
Brian
Feb 13, 2013, 01:41 PM
Slopeaholic
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpdude
Mike,

Since your using that "mature" radio technology you'll need to remember to make provisions for the receiver and the looooong antenna in one of the wing panels.

Cheers,
Brian
10-4! I was planning to run a pushrod outer along the corner of one of the lightening hole openings. I'll have to thread it in every time it gets assembled but it shouldn't be to big of an issue.

Normally I would consider a 3' length of black wire trailing behind my planes to be a badge representing my stubbornness, and hip old school-ness...but not for this bird.

-hutch
Feb 13, 2013, 03:03 PM
Designing something...
You could just put the receiver in one of the wing panels. It wouldn't be much weight to balance out. You'd have the same number of connectors but at least you wouldn't have to thread the antenna each time.

Brian

Quick Reply