Feb 12, 2013, 11:34 AM
3D Printing Enthusiast
Discussion

FPV aircraft pilot information requirement

Hey guys,
I have read alot of stories about people losing their aircraft lately. Of all the stories I have read not a single person has had their aircraft labeled with their personal information. Anyone on RCG that has been in this FPV forums should see the big sticky up top of the forum. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=911761 one of the AMA requirements is that our aircraft be labeled with our personal contact information.

Please keep our hobby going by adhering to the rules and regulations. A simple piece of paper attached to your aircraft is all it takes. There is a fellow RCG member that makes very professional name plates as well. here is a link to him if you prefer a more professional look. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1823358

Keep our hobby safe guys! Thanks for reading.
Brandon
to remove ads between posts
Feb 12, 2013, 12:46 PM
fly by night
AMA is not a regulatory body. It has no authority over 95% of RC pilots. There is no need, no legal requirement to label our RC planes. That is just some made-up private club rule. There are some good reasons in favour of labelling, and some good reasons not to label these planes - some interpretation of HAM rules might suggest that labels are required, but that is not certain at all.

Having taken time to get to know many FPVers, I know that many and perhaps most do indeed put labels on their planes - just not a hot topic of discussion.

I do put labels on mine - just because I would like a chance at getting it back if it ever went down somewhere (hasn't happened yet). I also personally feel responsible for my flying, and do not wish to weasel out of any consequences if my plane did do some damage to someone else.

Easiest and lightest to just use a thermal labelmaker, with plastic label material - looks at least as refined that that clumsy, inconvenient plate you advertise. I also use it to label all my video and servo wires.
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Feb 12, 2013 at 12:55 PM.
Feb 12, 2013, 04:28 PM
3D Printing Enthusiast
I am not advertising anything. As I said a simple slip of paper on your plane is all you need, the thermo labels are a great idea too. I am not an ama member, I don't have any nearby fields to fly in but I still try to follow the basic rules. Plus like you said, I would like the chance of getting my aircraft back.
Feb 12, 2013, 04:48 PM
Member #1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker
AMA is not a regulatory body. It has no authority over 95% of RC pilots. There is no need, no legal requirement to label our RC planes. That is just some made-up private club rule. There are some good reasons in favour of labelling, and some good reasons not to label these planes - some interpretation of HAM rules might suggest that labels are required, but that is not certain at all.

Having taken time to get to know many FPVers, I know that many and perhaps most do indeed put labels on their planes - just not a hot topic of discussion.

I do put labels on mine - just because I would like a chance at getting it back if it ever went down somewhere (hasn't happened yet). I also personally feel responsible for my flying, and do not wish to weasel out of any consequences if my plane did do some damage to someone else.

Easiest and lightest to just use a thermal labelmaker, with plastic label material - looks at least as refined that that clumsy, inconvenient plate you advertise. I also use it to label all my video and servo wires.
Same here, I label my FPV rigs so if they do happen to not come back I'd like someone to let me know if they have found it. Only thing is most people these days would strip the plane of its electrics more so the GoPro onboard and leave the rest there, its a shame I have to think like this but its reality these days. And if my plane was responsible for any damaged caused I'm an honest person and would take it on the chin and deal with it.

Some folks won't labels their gear cause they either know they are doing the wrong thing (like someone here in Aus that FPV'd a multi into the restricted ground space of a major international airport) or the just wont take responsibility for a mishap if it happens.