Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:47 PM
Find More Posts by xzodiackxs
Discussion

Upgrading from a glow trainer ( alpha 40 ) to a performance plane .

I had my alpha 40 for a while and I can do some aerobatics ( loops , rools , inverted ) and I'm able to do some extremely good 3D hovers and I would like to upgrade to a more performance wise plane , I'm currently looking at the Hangar 9 Sundowner 50 and then hopefully moving on to 3D .
Do you guys think moving on from alpha 40 to Sundowner 50 is a good transition to sport planes ?
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:41 PM
Find More Posts by Kyler1
I would get a low wing "trainer" type before I would get a all out 3D plane. A plane like an Escapade, Four Star 40, H9 twist, are all great 2nd planes. A twist might be the best if you want to start some 3D.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:56 PM
Find More Posts by pda4you
3DHS Slick is a great sport plane that will transition well to 3D as well.

I agree the Sundowner is NOT the best plane for 2nd. It will not 3D at all.

Mike
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:57 PM
Find More Posts by gene6029
I have a Twist & have had several different size motors on it over the years so it has a wide flight envelope from mild to wild. It will fly great on a 40- 55, 2stroke or 56-82 four stroke. Easy to transport in one piece. Takes off in allmost zero rollout, and can land in just as small a spot. I'd say that would be a good choice.....Gene
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:58 PM
Find More Posts by xzodiackxs
I"m don't want to transition to a 3D plane right now , just a fast and nice aerobatic plane like a sundowner .
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:49 PM
Find More Posts by pda4you
The Sundowner is NOT a aerobatic ship - it is a fast, plyon type racer.

If you want a nice aerobatic plane the the Sig Four Star would be my recommendation. The Ultra sticks are also a blast. Another good choice would be the Pulse series.

Mike
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:31 AM
Find More Posts by grosbeak
Illegitimi non carborundum
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda4you View Post
...Another good choice would be the Pulse series.
My second plane is a Pulse 125 with a DLE 20 - a great mix.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:55 AM
Find More Posts by whiskykid
team sleprock
if your looking at getting into 3D at all, then I would suggest atleast getting into a 30cc size plane!
this is just my opinion,but it seems to me, that 30cc is where planes seem to start getting close to a 2 too 1 power to wieght ratio, which is what you are looking for, when looking at a 3D plane!
ok with that said,a well set-up 3D plane,(with a mild set-up 12* ta 15* on most flying surfaces)will fly better and easier then most trainers!
I would start building say like a 30cc MXR, SBACH,or even an EXTRA 260, start off with a mild set-up, if you are able to take off and land, with a four channel high wing aircraft, then you should be fine with a modern airfcraft!

of course, this is all irellivant, if you don't plan on flying, larger aircraft, of atleast 30cc size aircraft!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:51 AM
Find More Posts by F16DCC
The aircraft I always recommend for a second is the Stinger II by Great Planes. It is a VERY nice sport flyer with no bad tendencies. The wing loading is light, so landings are only a tad hotter than that trainer (which I used to have an Alpha 40 as well). The control surfaces are very large and when put on full rates and increasing the elevator to 1 1/4" deflection it becomes a 3D aircraft with ease. If you're wanting 3D with it make sure to get a 55AX so you can swing a bigger prop. Mine has a 46AX with 11x6 and will do harriers all day long but wont hang the prop very well due to lack of power. But I wanted mine for sport flying and it does every maneuver I can throw at it, and it does them very well.