This thread is privately moderated by Murocflyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 02, 2014, 06:52 AM
Hi all,
I am a newbie, i need help, I live in Africa and where I live you can't get an instructor here.I have a complete fpv system, I.e. Sky walker, dragonlink, turnigy x9 , ground station etc. I have been learning to fly from what learn from websites and youtube videos. Yesterday I took it out for a first flight after learning for months. I discovered however that each time I want to fly the stuff after throttling hard on the controller and shoving it to the air it flies and nose dive. immediately. What is am I doing wrong ?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 02, 2014, 08:57 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
Wow, all day and no responses? What's happening in the beginner section? This section used to be teeming with people willing to help.

I'll give it a shot but first I need to know a few more things.

Have you ever flown this plane before without all the weight of the additional FPV equipment? How did you choose the motor and prop combo? Is this the first time you have flown an RC airplane or attempted to fly an RC airplane? In other words, is this your trainer airplane?
Last edited by Murocflyer; Nov 02, 2014 at 09:02 PM.
Nov 02, 2014, 11:52 PM
Here is another thought, not knowing your skill level. Sounds silly but I have seen experienced modelers make this one.

Make sure that when you pull back on the elevator stick the trailing edge of your elevator goes up.
Nov 05, 2014, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eminent
Hi all,
I am a newbie, i need help, I live in Africa and where I live you can't get an instructor here.I have a complete fpv system, I.e. Sky walker, dragonlink, turnigy x9 , ground station etc. I have been learning to fly from what learn from websites and youtube videos. Yesterday I took it out for a first flight after learning for months. I discovered however that each time I want to fly the stuff after throttling hard on the controller and shoving it to the air it flies and nose dive. immediately. What is am I doing wrong ?
I've never flown that particular plane, but beyond what Murocflyer already mentioned, making sure the controls, all of them, are going the right direction, make sure the planes CG (center of gravity) is correct also. (Desired CG should be in the instructions somewhere.) Don't know if you already have all the fpv gear in the nose, that could cause a forward CG situation. And not to be demeaning, but just to be sure, check the CG of the plane just as it would fly. Meaning with the battery and whatever else you're flying with on board. I've seen it done, where people set the CG without a battery, and of course when you add the battery, things are way off.

Don't know if you're trying to fly already with the FPV gear onboard, but you may want to first learn to fly it and get it trimmed without that stuff. More weight = more challenging to get airborne.

Speaking of trim, if the CG is correct, it just might be a case where it's out of trim, and you'll have to hold up elevator until you get it trimmed out. The first flights with any plane is to get it trimmed out and see if the CG is good. They sometimes need a lot of trim. The first flights are test flying for sure!

Also, that high set engine could push the nose down at high power. try launching with 75% or even 50% power if the motor is powerful. Another tip is at least on the first flights of any hand launched plane is to have someone else throw it for you, so you don't have that long moment from the launch to your hand getting to the controls.

Hope some of these will help. Good luck!
Nov 09, 2014, 09:53 AM
Rocket Programmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eminent
Hi all,
There's a lot of potential reasons for that, some of which have been mentioned already, but the most common reason I see is beginners pulling too much elevator right after take off. The plane can not climb out right away, it needs to get some speed first. Try flying it level instead of 'pulling up' right away.

FYI, this is not the thread for "advice" like this, which may be why you didn't get any responses right away. Create a new thread and we will work through your issues together. Post a link to it here if you want.

Proper Stryker Launching Technique (1 min 0 sec)
Nov 09, 2014, 10:15 AM
Good observation Jasmine. I envisioned the plane leaving his hand and going straight for the ground, but I think you're right.
Nov 09, 2014, 10:36 AM
Rocket Programmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmech2k
Good observation Jasmine. I envisioned the plane leaving his hand and going straight for the ground, but I think you're right.
I've seen it a thousand times, very common mistake. People think pulling the elevator makes the plane climb, but it doesn't - it makes the plane attempt to rotate. And if you don't have enough airspeed, it won't work.

Here's another example...
Noob With EDF Jet - do I need to say what happens? (4 min 36 sec)
Nov 09, 2014, 11:57 AM
Haha. That guy said "that's awesome."

I always laugh when I see that video. I wonder why the experienced pilots let him fly that plane first?

Where is that field? Seems like a very nice runway.

I think the guy that asked the question forgot he posted it here. That happens a lot when someone new comes to a forum.

Frank
Nov 09, 2014, 01:39 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer
I always laugh when I see that video. I wonder why the experienced pilots let him fly that plane first?
Beginners don't always listen, no matter what they're told. Can't really yank the Tx out of the guy's hands, eh?

A few weeks ago, an older gentleman turned up at our field with a Hobbyzone Cub. Hearing that he'd never flown before we offered to check it for him and generally help out. He said sure. Two minutes later, out of the corner of my eye I see his plane on the runway taking off. Yep, didn't want to wait for anyone to get free.

(Amazingly enough, the Cub survived the crash. But there were a lot of anxious eyes following the short, erratic flight.)
Nov 10, 2014, 11:40 AM
Yea that is true enough I guess but it is the same with everyone I guess and especially here. You can post links and cite references and no one bothers to look at them yet asks questions that were answered in those very same links.

That is another thing I guess I will never get. Folks want everything handed to them rather than doing some work to earn or Learn it on their own.

Frank
Nov 10, 2014, 08:51 PM
Rocket Programmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer
Haha. That guy said "that's awesome."

Where is that field? Seems like a very nice runway.

I think the guy that asked the question forgot he posted it here. That happens a lot when someone new comes to a forum.

Frank
The only way I can really explain that video is that everyone including myself agreed that he was in good hands and it was a crap shoot no matter what. The guy helping him was the head club trainer at the time and I can't really explain his decision not to fly it for him first.

It was filmed at the Arvada Modelers field in Arvada Colorado. It's a very nice field, I really miss flying there. I expected more accessible facilities here, but I'm far away from the nice club. When my house is ready I'll be a lot closer, but it's not as nice as what I'm used to. Sad thing is, that club in Colorado is probably going to be obliterated for a highway soon. It's going to destroy the last remaining high plain corridor on the west side of town too. Nobody really seems to care.

They are thinking of moving the club to a radioactive waste site. One of the worst plutonium leaks in history happened there.
Nov 11, 2014, 02:57 AM
Sorry to hear about the field. It really looks awesome. I wonder if Bill flew the WAA-08 plane there? I know he was a member at the time. And it is a shame that know one cares about the field. Seems a lot of great fields are being pushed off farther and farther out of town if clubs can even find a place to relocate.

We had a great place in VA, only a couple miles from downtown in a plant/tree nursery. You could mow the grass to putting hole low. It was awesome. Like you I miss my old field.

Frank
Nov 12, 2014, 12:55 PM
Rocket Programmer
Yes I know Bill, but I didn't see the flight. Is there video somewhere? There's two runways and Bill usually flies at the smaller one, not the one in the video above.
Nov 12, 2014, 12:57 PM
Rocket Programmer
The city does care about us, they see us as an asset. We maintain a park without tax dollars and we provide a safe place for people to fly as well as charity work. They have promised to "make us whole" if the club has to move. The potential locations just aren't as good.
Nov 14, 2014, 05:05 PM
Professor X

Digi-DNA for beginners to advanced folks!

Hello everyone and I hope you're all having a great Friday! Almost time to get off work and do some flying! Since this is a beginners thread I wanted to introduce ourselves. Digi-DNA designs and builds some of the best quads available. On our site and discussion thread lead by our lead engineer Tearig we discuss many of the issues you're hungry for information on.

We discuss everything from the quality and types of motors used in various RC sizes and designs to the best way to test and maintain your copter. Please search and follow us. I personally just joined RC Groups. My job is to help answer any questions and help facility orders etc. Once you've had time to go thru our site and threads feel free to message me with any questions and or info you may have.

For all you beginners out there we don't think any questions isn't worth asking. Having gone thru this thread I'm very impressed and happy to see all the info and enthusiasm. For those of you who've been around for a while we're happy to answer any advanced questions you have. Our goal is to become a resource for info that will help everyone.

Thanks and have a great weekend!