New To The Hobby? Need Help Learning To Fly? Looking For Someone Local? (Beg. ) - Page 4 - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by Murocflyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 22, 2014, 12:14 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
We still need more mentors and I hope the newcomers are taking advantage of the mentors we have right now.

I am still looking for better ways to reach newcomers. Haven't figured out a really good way to do that. I'd love to hear some ideas.

Frank
to remove ads between posts
Sep 22, 2014, 06:04 PM
My son and I are newbies in Scranton, PA area. No mentors/instructors local on the map. Closest markers are about an hour away.
Sep 23, 2014, 03:14 AM
Understand. I am doing all I can to get more mentors. Times are tough but slowly but surely they are volunteering.

Frank
Sep 26, 2014, 10:53 PM
Still looking for volunteers. I know there must be some more people out there that want to help others.

Frank

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2201875
Last edited by Murocflyer; Sep 27, 2014 at 12:07 AM. Reason: grammar
Sep 26, 2014, 11:45 PM
http://www.sgvhumane.org/
my field has assistance if needed. requirements: AMA and flying at http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubdetails.aspx?club=154

the club instructor (Ken) is around in the mornings. i fly at lunch. if anyone needs my help, i'd be more than happy. my experience is planes and micro helis.

that said, we have guys at our field at all times who would be more than happy to help. if you wish, contact me through PM, here on RCG.
Sep 27, 2014, 09:12 PM
Wow, no volunteers?

Hundreds of people pass through this forum and not one of those would like to step up and help others? What's going on?
Sep 29, 2014, 08:29 AM
Murocflyer: I think this is a great idea. It's hard to burst onto the scene of a new hobby where so many things could go wrong so quickly without help.

I'm in the West Palm Beach, FL area and don't see anyone on the map very close yet but maybe someone will pop up. If anyone flies at Dyer Park or West Delray I'd love some help getting started. Until then I'll keep watching videos and learning what I can.
Sep 29, 2014, 09:56 AM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer
Wow, no volunteers?
I'm already on the map...

Quote:
Hundreds of people pass through this forum and not one of those would like to step up and help others? What's going on?
Some might not feel up to the task. Being an instructor is more than just having flying experience, you need a certain mindset and communication skills.

In my corner of the world, not a lot of people are aware of RCGroups. Most of the newbies I get at the field are "walk-ins" -- they saw the planes in the sky, and they went and fetch the Parkzone model they bought on a whim three months ago.

(We had one this weekend. Older gentleman, Hobbyzone Cub, never flown. He went home with an intact model that had a couple of flights thanks to us.)
Sep 29, 2014, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky53s
Murocflyer: I think this is a great idea. It's hard to burst onto the scene of a new hobby where so many things could go wrong so quickly without help.

I'm in the West Palm Beach, FL area and don't see anyone on the map very close yet but maybe someone will pop up. If anyone flies at Dyer Park or West Delray I'd love some help getting started. Until then I'll keep watching videos and learning what I can.
Thank you and I understand. This is exactly why we are trying to help and hopefully we can get some Mentors in your area soon.

Thanks for stopping in and sharing your thoughts.

Frank
Sep 29, 2014, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Man
I'm already on the map...

Some might not feel up to the task. Being an instructor is more than just having flying experience, you need a certain mindset and communication skills.

In my corner of the world, not a lot of people are aware of RCGroups. Most of the newbies I get at the field are "walk-ins" -- they saw the planes in the sky, and they went and fetch the Parkzone model they bought on a whim three months ago.

(We had one this weekend. Older gentleman, Hobbyzone Cub, never flown. He went home with an intact model that had a couple of flights thanks to us.)
I hear you and that is a problem we are trying to overcome. With a Google search, a newcomer should be able to stumble across our map: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...4bc&dg=feature

And since Youtube is so popular, I made this video:

Finding An RC Instructor In Your Local Area; Model Aviation Mentors (8 min 41 sec)

I am also hoping our Mentors are putting up flyers in the LHSs to help others.

You are right, not everyone can be a great or even good instructor, but trust me, any hands on help that can be given is always appreciated. At the very least they can help with avoiding the pitfalls often encountered by newcomers.

And as always, if anyone would like to volunteer, please let me know.

Frank
Oct 26, 2014, 09:39 AM
Looking for someone in Houston today to help a newbie! I posted the following in the Apprentice forum before I read this.

I just purchased this bird yesterday and I'm ready for the maiden flight.

I have read the manual and I believe I'm ready. However, please don't take this the wrong way. I learn more with hands on than I do by reading manuals.

I am not new to the RC hobby. I own and operate several UAV's, (Phantom 2, Phantom Vision and a couple others). I am new to airplanes. I have never tried to fly one and I got the urge to try it and bought the Apprentice yesterday from the local hobby shop.

I'd like to fly this today. It's perfect outside! Is there anyone in Houston that can help an old man out and maybe meet me somewhere today? I know it's short notice but I will not have much time this week. Today is the day!

I'd just like someone with experience looking over my shoulder to help. I live less than a mile from the Galleria. I will drive pretty much anywhere, (20 miles or so) for the help and I'll buy you a beer or two and or lunch.

Thank you!

I am available all day. I know there is a club out on Highway 6. Before I pay any money for a license and field fee's, I'd like to make sure that this is something I want to pursue any further. Thank you for your time!

I can pay with beer, lunch, dinner or money for any help!

Thank you for reading.
Oct 28, 2014, 04:29 PM
I'm looking for some local "friends" to fly with in the Dayton, OH area. I see people occasionally, specifically around the Air Force Museum, but I haven't seen anyone since I bought my plane. This was after a 10-year break from flying, so obviously all my old "friends" have long since vanished from all but memory.
Oct 29, 2014, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by uavtxs
Looking for someone in Houston today to help a newbie! I posted the following in the Apprentice forum before I read this.

I just purchased this bird yesterday and I'm ready for the maiden flight.

I have read the manual and I believe I'm ready. However, please don't take this the wrong way. I learn more with hands on than I do by reading manuals.

I am not new to the RC hobby. I own and operate several UAV's, (Phantom 2, Phantom Vision and a couple others). I am new to airplanes. I have never tried to fly one and I got the urge to try it and bought the Apprentice yesterday from the local hobby shop.

I'd like to fly this today. It's perfect outside! Is there anyone in Houston that can help an old man out and maybe meet me somewhere today? I know it's short notice but I will not have much time this week. Today is the day!

I'd just like someone with experience looking over my shoulder to help. I live less than a mile from the Galleria. I will drive pretty much anywhere, (20 miles or so) for the help and I'll buy you a beer or two and or lunch.

Thank you!

I am available all day. I know there is a club out on Highway 6. Before I pay any money for a license and field fee's, I'd like to make sure that this is something I want to pursue any further. Thank you for your time!

I can pay with beer, lunch, dinner or money for any help!

Thank you for reading.
There are a few people nearby. https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...4bc&dg=feature Are they too far away from you?

Frank
Oct 29, 2014, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marineman16
I'm looking for some local "friends" to fly with in the Dayton, OH area. I see people occasionally, specifically around the Air Force Museum, but I haven't seen anyone since I bought my plane. This was after a 10-year break from flying, so obviously all my old "friends" have long since vanished from all but memory.
Have you had any luck contacting the RAMS?

See page two on the map on WPAFB.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...4bc&dg=feature

Frank
Oct 29, 2014, 08:19 PM
Hi! I'm a new pilot, living in Rockville, MD. "New" means that I've come to the US from Ukraine about a month ago. I can consider myself something between beginner and intermediate pilot, back in Ukraine I was flying the HK SlowStick, HK Teksumo and a scratch-built 4ch foamie. Looking for places in and around Rockville to fly at and for the people to fly with.
It looks like it is completely forbidden to fly in parks, at least here, in Montgomery County. Does anybody know, is this prohibition strictly enforced (I'm talking about flying some quiet ultra-micro in an empty park, and obviously not a huge gasser over a crowd of children )? I don't wanna end up being deported from the country or paying a huge fine, you know Does anyone here fly at school stadiums (not during the school hours and when there are no other activities there, of course)?