This thread is privately moderated by Murocflyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 22, 2013, 12:33 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Man
I fly with a bunch of experienced guys, and I'm always open to help newcomers (payback for all the help I got when starting!). Just send them to my RCG blog and they can PM me.

Located in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. I fly both planes and helis, and I'm a scratchbuilder (foam or balsa).
Awesome! Thanks! I have added you to our map.

Frank
to remove ads between posts
Feb 22, 2013, 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsura
I am a newb in the Coquitlam area of Vancouver, Canada and would love to get tips from people with experience.
Got it. I have updated post #3 and also check back if you don't hear from anyone. I get frequent updates to our map.

Frank
Feb 23, 2013, 12:36 AM
Come fly with us in Henryetta
I have pretty much had to stop building. But would be willing to help anyway I can. And would be willing to help them learn to fly.
Wes
Feb 23, 2013, 02:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987tc
I have pretty much had to stop building. But would be willing to help anyway I can. And would be willing to help them learn to fly.
Wes
You got it Wes! Thanks for volunteering and thank you getting OK in the running.

It is great to see so many people stepping up to help.

Thanks again,

Frank
Last edited by Murocflyer; Feb 24, 2013 at 09:09 PM.
Feb 24, 2013, 09:10 PM
Got another 5 added to the map today!

Thanks to those who have volunteered already and we still have a lot of ground to cover so if you would like to volunteer please do so. Newcomers can always use your help.

Frank
Feb 26, 2013, 10:05 PM
And we are closing in on 50 volunteers already! If you don't see anyone near you, hopefully we'll get one soon.

Thanks to all for volunteering! It is great to see so many people willing to help others in our sport.

Frank
Feb 28, 2013, 05:24 AM
Suspended Account
Use an RC airplane flight simulator to familiarize yourself with the transmitter controls, which are counterintuitive for some people. Begin with a three-channel model, which will likely utilize the left stick to control motor speeds (by moving the stick up and down), and the right to control both the rudder (by moving the stick right and left) and elevator (by moving the stick up and down). Practice taking off by increasing the motor speed and using the elevator control, flying slow, large circles using the rudder and elevator controls, and landing by reducing the motor speed and using the elevator control.

Join an RC airplane club in your area, and receive training from an instructor. Hands-on learning with an experienced teacher will greatly accelerate your progress and build confidence, providing you with a deeper understanding of remote control airplanes that will prove invaluable as you select and begin to fly your own model. Practice with a "buddy box," or a device that lets another pilot take control of a model during a loss of control, to avoid crashes.

Select and purchase your own model and radio equipment. Talk with other hobbyists to decide on a slow-flying trainer with good performance characteristics in your budget range. A three-channel model with rudder, elevator and motor speed controls can perform many maneuvers without the need for complicated control systems. Purchase a ready-to-fly (RTF) model, eliminating the need to purchase separate radio equipment and the possibility of poor construction affecting the airplane's flight performance.
Feb 28, 2013, 10:32 AM
Rocket Programmer
Please don't copy-post, if you want to post an article, it is courteous to post a link instead of a really long off topic post.
Feb 28, 2013, 06:59 PM
I thought that sounded familiar and too much like an article.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7326173_lear...airplanes.html

Good advice, but I agree a link should have been posted as reference.

Frank
Mar 02, 2013, 07:24 AM
Just Fly!
This will be a great resource for newcomers to RC.
Frank, I sent you a PM.

Thanks.

Troutbum
Mar 02, 2013, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutbum
This will be a great resource for newcomers to RC.
Frank, I sent you a PM.

Thanks.

Troutbum
Thanks! I have added you to our map and I appreciate your willingness to help out newcomers in our hobby.

I know it takes a lot to leave the security of a PC and step out in the real world to help.

Thanks again,

Frank
Mar 04, 2013, 08:57 AM
The list of volunteers in growing everyday. And we even had mention on this project on the AMA's blog.

http://www.modelaviation.com/modelaviationmentors

If anyone else would like to volunteer, please let me know.

Thanks,

Frank
Mar 04, 2013, 11:35 AM
Rocket Programmer
Awesome! I also noticed that this year, they seem to have gotten the Intro Pilot cards out on the first pass. I was worried about that because I often do early spring training and don't have my intro pilot card yet.
Mar 08, 2013, 08:49 AM
We have volunteers in almost every state now. https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...fa6f42a3de34bc I am hoping that finding help for newcomers in this hobby will not be much of a problem anymore.

But with that said, we are always looking for more people willing to lend a hand to others who are wanting to learn more. if you think you can help, (remember, some help is better than no help) please let me know and we can get you added to our map.

Frank
Jun 30, 2014, 12:20 PM
As always, we can use more MA mentors. Please let me know if you are willing to help and I will add you to our map.

I know it takes a lot to leave the security of a PC and step out in the real world to help newcomers. And even if you feel you cannot contribute much, some help is better than no help.

Frank