Dec 28, 2003, 10:40 AM
Thread OP

How do I bring my batteries back to life?

Still new to electric flight and liking it more and more. I recently bought a Triton battery charger (for my LHM Corona) and figured I would try use it to charge my Firebird XL batteries I haven't used for well over a year. These batteries are 6 cell (2/3 AA I think) 7.2v 900 mah NiMh. I made a charging plug from the original wall charger. I tried charging one pack at 0.1 mah for 10 hours - it would only run the motor for about 2 minutes before shutting off. A second pack was similar (actually a shorter run time)

I guess what I am asking is - are these batteries toast or is there a way to bring these batteries back to life - through cycling or ??? I'm still learning how to best use my Triton.

Thanks for your help.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 28, 2003, 11:24 AM
eflyguy
Slow-charge them @ .1A for 15 hours. Then cycle them on auto at least 5 times. Capacity, and charge/discharge rate should increase with each cycle.
..a
Dec 28, 2003, 11:28 AM
but it's a nice obsession
I'm not sure but it seems to me that NiMh batteries, unlike Nicads, die if they are not exercised. That has been my experience with several 800mah NiMh packs that sat around for a couple of months. I tried slow charging them several times but they never came back. Now I make sure to peak charge my NiMh packs about once a week to keep them fit.

Jon

Quick Reply