Feb 17, 2013, 12:30 PM
-S-
-S-
Just one more..... Just one...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Weir
Yeah, it's nitro. From looking around, it seems I could do without it by switching to LiFe packs but I like having a power switch & remote button for the glow igniter, plus I've already spent enough on lipos I can't see the sense in replacing then. Makes it a lot easier than pulling the canopy off to start it up every time.

The align pn is rce-b6t, but I've already got another on order. Will have to figure out a new way to route the wires so they're not rubbing the frame anymore, maybe split some hose to cover it up.

Edit: I think I may have found a solution to my cyclic problem. Changing the ele swash mix to a negative may do it based on a similar discussion at helifreak. Once the new reg comes in I'll be able to power it up & see what happens.

Yea I have a RCE-B6X

what I do is put wires inside of a spiral cut wire wrap. then I loosely wire tie that to the frame, Carbon Fiber will cut through a wire quick!

Good luck! and if I can help with anything give a yell!

- S
to remove ads between posts
Feb 17, 2013, 02:53 PM
Oh I'm sure I'll need it! For now I'll just wait till the new reg comes in later this week & try to get it ready in time for a weekend flight. Will probably go back through the whole setup just to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Here's one question for you. During the one little 2" hover before it died, I somehow managed a tail strike. There's some wear on the tips of the tail rotor blades but no evidence of cracking. As long as they're still balanced they're safe to keep using, right?
Feb 17, 2013, 03:33 PM
-S-
-S-
Thread OP
Quote:
Oh I'm sure I'll need it! For now I'll just wait till the new reg comes in later this week & try to get it ready in time for a weekend flight. Will probably go back through the whole setup just to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Here's one question for you. During the one little 2" hover before it died, I somehow managed a tail strike. There's some wear on the tips of the tail rotor blades but no evidence of cracking. As long as they're still balanced they're safe to keep using, right?
Well the correct answer is no.

if it's a scratch you may be OK, if it's a chip then I would not, I don't remember the exact numbers but on my 500, I did that, a small nick in the tail blade, I asked the same question and one of the "pros" said it kinda like this.

The tail blades spin approximately 4 times the speed of the head, it may be 3 I don't remember..... Average head speed is around 2500 RPM maybe for that big of a bird? Lets say 2000 for easy math... that means the tail is spinning at 6K to 8K RPM that is a lot of force.

Another way to put it is you have prolly close to $1500.00 into that thing.

Best case (if something fails) you crash and destroy it.

Worst case, it spins out of control, and hits something or worse yet, somebody.

I'm sure you have read the stories about guys being decapitated by their own Helis. I tend to take the paranoid approach, if in doubt replace it and destroy it so it can't be used again.

Perhaps I'm a bit too cautious, I have been told that, but you are dealing with a piece of machinery that can do a lot of damage quick. faster than I ever thought possible.

Not trying to scare you, but give you my 2 cents, a good buddy of mine lost control of his 450 sized Heli, it came at him so fast he could not move and he just about lost an eye, and has scars that will last forever from it, and that is a tiny bird comparitvly speeking.

I had a Blade 400 that the anti rotation bracket came loose and started spinning out of control, Thank God I was able to give it full throttle in time and send it into a tree as it was headed straight for me in a spin.

two real world stories with small Helis.

IMO don't take a chance, and when playing with toys that big, only use top quality proven parts!

** as well, if that is a Torque tube tail and I imagine it is, I would pull that back apart and check the gears to be safe, a stripped tooth won't make itself obvious until it's too late and you hear a loud CRUNCH did that one too

Hope I didn't sound too paranoid

- S
Feb 17, 2013, 05:25 PM
Well then it's a good thing I ordered an extra set if main & tail blades when I ordered the heli. I'll go ahead & swap them till I have an opportunity for someone to look at the originals.

It is indeed a torque tube. Fortunately I can see all the gears with a small mirror though, so I shouldn't have to disassemble anything.
Feb 17, 2013, 06:07 PM
-S-
-S-
Thread OP
Quote:
Well then it's a good thing I ordered an extra set if main & tail blades when I ordered the heli. I'll go ahead & swap them till I have an opportunity for someone to look at the originals.

It is indeed a torque tube. Fortunately I can see all the gears with a small mirror though, so I shouldn't have to disassemble anything.

Better safe than sorry IMO.

got a good chunk done in the Honey do's and the Extra 330 I'm building :-)

- S

Quick Reply