Feb 08, 2013, 05:16 PM
Thread OP
New Product

Telemetry speech output and Vario for Spektrum radios, VSpeak available !

Volker did it ! Vspeak for Spektrum radios is available. Supported radios are DX7s, DX8, DX10t, DX18, DX18QQ. I tested it with a DX8 and DX18. Works like a charm.

What can it do ? Speech output of all telemetry data, of course configurable, alarms for various values (independent from the telemetry alarms of the radio), vario using the original altitude sensor, capacity counter using the "dumb" current sensor. You can choose many different languages and voices, even use your own voice !

You can find it on Volkers homepage: http://www.vspeak-modell.de/index.php/en/sprachausgabe

I have built it into my DX18 without drilling holes using the holes for gimbal adjustment. Have a look at the attached pictures....

If you want speech, you can have it now without an I-Thingy, directly from your radio. And you get vario and capacity sensor free of charge using standard sensors
And of course, it does not affect the RF module, just "sniffs" the telemetry transmission.

If you have questions.....ask !
Last edited by Mukenukem; Sep 09, 2013 at 08:41 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 08, 2013, 05:33 PM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
Video so we can hear it in action?
Feb 08, 2013, 05:39 PM
Thread OP
There are some Youtube videos available: http://www.vspeak-modell.de/index.php/en/home
The display and speech output are independent.
Feb 08, 2013, 05:55 PM
Oh, I was asking you if you had some since you already have it installed want to see/hear what it was like from a user/rcg member and not the manufacturer website.

It's all good.
Feb 08, 2013, 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukenukem
<snip> If you want speech, you can have it now without an I-Thingy, directly from your radio. <snip>
Except the i-Thingy won't void your warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektrum VSpeak adapter
Attention: The necessary modifications of the radio will void your warranty !
Feb 08, 2013, 07:31 PM
Thread OP
The problem with the STi is the limited range. I found that it has a lot more signal drops than the radio. The voice of the STi is horrible. The App is outdated and does not support all sensors. Also, at least with my Ipot, the battery consumption is huge. With VSpeak, you do not have to take care of another battery, it runs from the TX.

A big advantage of VSpeak: It can also announce Powerbox values. Especially if you have DIY sensors. And the vario, which is not available from Spektrum.

I have it installed already for about a month because I assisted Volker with testing and some minor issues during development . No problems. Have been flying in the gym for some hours and everything worked like it should.

But I do not get money for advertising, just like to inform you all
Of course modifying the radio voids the warranty. But if you, for example, swap switches, your warranty is also void...
Feb 08, 2013, 07:46 PM
Yes STi range isn't the same as the radio - Agreed.
STi voice horrible - Agreed, it could be improved.
Outdate - Only for some time, once they release an update I think Apple needs to approve it for release so it will be updated then it will support the current line of sensors.

iPod battery performance - I use my iPhone or iPad and the battery is very good but it's not the first time I hear battery drain with the iPod. Someone posted information about using a cable to use the STi and charge the iDevice at the same time.

Voiding the warranty is something every one needs to consider when doing anything to their equipement.
Last edited by freechip; Feb 11, 2013 at 06:58 AM.
Feb 17, 2013, 06:43 PM

Telemetry speech output for Spektrum radios, VSpeak available !

Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip
Oh, I was asking you if you had some since you already have it installed want to see/hear what it was like from a user/rcg member and not the manufacturer website.

It's all good.
Mukenukem, +1 on this request.

I'm following all your comments about DIY sensors and I'm very much interested to see what the vspeak looks and sounds like in action. Most important; please shown your own experience as a RCG member, not the manufacturer's friend.
Last edited by czorzella; Feb 17, 2013 at 07:50 PM.
Feb 18, 2013, 10:55 AM
Thread OP
Okay, what do you want to see ? I can setup some sensors on the bench and let my radio talk. Anything specific you are interersted ?
I can't give you outdoor footage. It's cold here in Austria and I am a pussy, I only fly outdoors if it is 10C or more
Feb 27, 2013, 08:15 PM
No bounce, No play.

My DX18 install

I am pretty happy with this configuration. Note that after picture I repositioned the adapter slightly. It must stay above the white plug just by the bottom right corner of it so the battery compartment does not hit it.
Feb 27, 2013, 10:08 PM
No bounce, No play.
Having some fun playing around with the settings on this. RPM seems pretty accurate, maybe one percent or so higher than displayed. I think I will have to do some wav file recording though. I don't like her say "revolutions per minute" I would like it changed to "RPM".
Feb 28, 2013, 03:10 AM
Thread OP
Cool. You did it the "drilling way"

Did you set the multiplier right ? Plane or helicopter ?
Feb 28, 2013, 05:24 AM
No bounce, No play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukenukem
Cool. You did it the "drilling way"

Did you set the multiplier right ? Plane or helicopter ?
Yeah I went for the gusto in the "I want them positioned where I like them" department rather than "take what I can get" I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.

Got the multiplier set no problem. At 9320rpm on display it was reporting 9338. That's pretty darn good. I only set it for one plane so far.

http://www.top-flite.com/airplanes/topa0300.html

I was able to play around with the motor since the prop is off while I am installing landing lights.
Feb 28, 2013, 05:33 AM
No bounce, No play.
I think I envision only using the announcements on demand. I don't like the idea of it going off when say I am concentrating on making a tricky turn. I envision just hitting the button when I am cruising along straight and level. Something like race car drivers only talking to their pit crew on the straightaways.

Any thoughts on this?
Feb 28, 2013, 01:35 PM
DS will change your life
Sub.

Quick Reply