This thread is privately moderated by Mochaboy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 07, 2013, 09:23 PM
Radd Graduate '06
Mini-HowTo

How to build your own CC3D from components!

edit 1/11/2014

It appears uaviation.net is no longer selling the kits...You can still download the files and get the boards fabbed yourself for like $15 at oshpark.com

I'm an APM guy, but I'd heard about the CC3D, and just like any other fabulous piece of technology - it's unavailability makes it just that much more desirable. So I was out on ebay just checking to see what the latest gougers were charging when I came across a rather peculiar listing - a Maker's kit for a CC3D.

It was just a PCB board with 2 pigtails. In the listing was a link to a bootloader and a bill of materials. You take the BOM and create an order with Digikey - and as everyone knows - 2 days later you get a present in the mail I'd seen the curious inventor's instructional videos on how to solder SMD parts but it's just like anything else - they made it look so deceptively easy. The good news is, it actually is as easy as they make it out to be but there are special tools and techniques that are necessary to do this right.

Mistakes will be made and you will need the right tools to back out of those issues (i.e. solder braid and flux to wick away solder bridges), but the trick to getting through is proper planning, the right tools and lots of patience. For anyone wondering - unless you have the equipment, this isn't even close to being cost effective - but that's not why I took the challenge. I wanted a neat project that would test my skills - and boy were they tested!

Anyway - enough hot air - enjoy the show!
How to build your own CC3D from components (30 min 29 sec)

WIKI HERE

SMD/QFN Soldering Tutorial HERE

Discussion thread along with some helpful tips HERE

For tools - at a minimum you will need:
Soldering iron with adjustable temperature
3.2 single edge flat tip (ETCC tip if you have a Weller)
A hot air rework station
Solder paste - no clean
Flux paste - no clean - in a pen or syringe
Solder of your choice (I have 60/40)
Curved fine point tweezers
Solder Braid
Multimeter (to test for shorts and bridges)
Kapton tape (very handy)

I did this with the naked eye - but a microscope would have been helpful - especially to check work afterwards.

If you're thinking about trying this and think it's over your head - consider this. I didn't even know what a QFN package was 2 weeks ago let alone how to solder one. With the right tools and the right strategy - you can make it through this...I made plenty of mistakes of which I hope you can learn from and avoid when it's your turn

Happy soldering!

Mocha
Last edited by Mochaboy; Jan 11, 2014 at 03:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts